Jonny Rockets now 12$ ++?

SoBe2010

14 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

No, but only because I had one yesterday. Cost me $48 after tax and tip for the burger, fries and a lemonade. It was good though. 

Are you sure you didn't actually have a steak at Ruth's Chris?  Man, that's a lot for a burger, fries, and a lemonade.  

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Definitely!  Our local Publix often has butcher-made patties infused with bacon and cheddar cheese chunks.  I buy those and freeze them.  They go straight from the freezer to the grill and I leave them slightly pink in the center.  Hmm, I think I know what's for dinner tonight!

LOL - That sounds sooooooo good.

We go to Sam's, get their very large 80% log looking pack.  Looks like a prophylactic as the packaging.  I cut it into 1lb servings, seal them in our "Food Saver" vacuum machine.  We do something similar with all our bulk purchases, even dry good unless they are already vacuum packed.  Just two old folks, not feeding the urchins anymore.  Buy bulk, repack, freeze, save money.  

But, we buy Choice Ribeye steaks from Publics, especially when they are on sale for $9.99 lb.  They just had that sale last week.  We didn't buy any, we have plenty in the freezer.  My wife and I share one with salad and twice baked potato, it's plenty for us.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/26/2022 at 12:27 PM, firefly333 said:

While rcl offers fewer free venues for lunch at dinner it's pretty equal. Some that are free on carnival for lunch have a better menu for dinner and a charge. 

On the flip side of the coin I hated most everything I had on carnivals Mdr dinner menu. I did 3 on carnival and the dinner was so bad I came back to royal. Pizza on carnival better but I need more than pizza. Guys on carnival switched to frozen fries etc. 

Try some oasis class rcl ships where have more like the solarium and the cafe with roast beef for lunch. It wins overall for me. 

Have you tried the Mardi Gras?  It not only has Guy's Burger and Blue Iguana, it also has Shaq's Big Chicken (VERY good, and fries are much better here), Guy's Pig and Anchor BBQ, Java Blue, and the Street Eats stall included along with the Lido, Sandwich, and Pizza stations.  Also, the 2 "specialty" restaurants, Cucina Del Capitano and ChiBang are included.  They've upped their game with Mardi Gras.

We have only sailed Oasis for the Oasis class and for included food, it was either Windjammer, MDR, El Loco Fresh, Park Cafe, a few (inedible) things at Cafe Promenade or the dog place (Solarium Bistro was closed on our sailing).  Mardi Gras had way more included food...

Don't even get me started about the lack of included food on Indy...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bmc alabama said:

Have you tried the Mardi Gras?  It not only has Guy's Burger and Blue Iguana, it also has Shaq's Big Chicken (VERY good, and fries are much better here), Guy's Pig and Anchor BBQ, Java Blue, and the Street Eats stall included along with the Lido, Sandwich, and Pizza stations.  Also, the 2 "specialty" restaurants, Cucina Del Capitano and ChiBang are included.  They've upped their game with Mardi Gras.

We have only sailed Oasis for the Oasis class and for included food, it was either Windjammer, MDR, El Loco Fresh, Park Cafe, a few (inedible) things at Cafe Promenade or the dog place (Solarium Bistro was closed on our sailing).  Mardi Gras had way more included food...

If you just count the number of physical venues on the different cruise lines that have included food locations.  Yep, Carnival has more.  However, look at each cruise line offerings in their included food location(s).  I believe Royal's included food locations have a much bigger verity of food offerings on their menu.  For example, this is the menu for Cafe Promenade:

"MENU HIGHLIGHTS

If you’re looking for a satisfying way to start your day, pair a cup of rich Royal Roast with a flaky croissandwich — stuffed with deli meats and crisp lettuce — or your favorite breakfast pastry. At lunchtime, it’s all about the flavorful chicken roti wrap and the New Orleans-style muffuletta, piled high with cold cuts and cheese. If you love a good antipasti platter, try the prosciutto with melon combo, or the pesto-grilled tomato. And if you have a sweet tooth, the decadent Mudcakes, creamy Willy Wonka pies, and fluffy round Led Zeppoles will make you come back for seconds.

PRO TIP

Some sandwiches, antipasti and desserts rotate daily, so stop by often to see what’s new".

The above doesn't even mention the many different salads, cookies, various fruits available in a bowl, and much more.  And I won't even get into the taste of the food, that is too subjective.  

AND, the Dog House isn't just a (Hot) Dog house:

"MENU HIGHLIGHTS

If you’re a traditionalist, go for the Coney Island dog, made with classic american beef. Or opt for authentic old world flavor with a German thuringer made from finely minced pork. Want to change things up? Try The big apple, a chicken sausage cooked with apple for a subtle burst of sweetness. Or bite into The Smoke house, a pork bratwurst seasoned with traditional spices for just a hint of heat. No matter which sausage (or sausages) you choose, they all pair perfectly with a side of home-style potato salad or refreshing coleslaw..

PRO TIP

Customize your hot dog at Dog House with a wide variety of condiments and toppings — all available self-serve".

What does Guys offer:  Oh, hamburgers with different types of sauces and some sides. 

I could go on!

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, bmc alabama said:

Mardi gras may or may not continue to include some fee restaurants for free. I'm very well educated on carnival, diamond.but that is.

I'm waiting and hoping jubilee prices go down. It costs me as a solo as I posted more than a inside balcony on harmony.

If you can see my signature you see i have the 14 day carnival dream booked. ..for the ports. I did 3 carnival after restart and their Mdr dinners were bad. Not to my liking so I'm mostly back to rcl except for the 14 day dream journey cruise. I sure will miss my free wifi. I'm sure in 2024 I'll surely find a better deal on jubilee. I can wait. But I'm well aware of what mardi gras has. Of all the people you could pick here I'm probably one who has more knowledge of carnival than most. I had grizzled steaks for one thing ..I dont like their new steak cut. I did pay venues every  night but one on vista, just didnt like Mdr. Dream hits 5 new ports for me out of Galveston making it worth it. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bmc alabama said:

Have you tried the Mardi Gras?  It not only has Guy's Burger and Blue Iguana, it also has Shaq's Big Chicken (VERY good, and fries are much better here), Guy's Pig and Anchor BBQ, Java Blue, and the Street Eats stall included along with the Lido, Sandwich, and Pizza stations.  Also, the 2 "specialty" restaurants, Cucina Del Capitano and ChiBang are included NOT ACCORDING TO THEIR OWN WEBSITE.  They've upped their game with Mardi Gras.

2 hours ago, bmc alabama said:

Wow that does sound impressive on the Mardi Gras!

We paid $14 pp in the evening on Liberty.  We ate outside and were the only ones there.  The food wasn’t worth it but the ocean view private table was.  Last time unless we have the UDP.  $7.95 was about all it was worth even though prices on just about everything have increased.

• Like 1

I remember when it was free when it debuted with Voyager so long ago.  The place was hopping and had a great atmosphere with the music and dancing.  Stayed that way even with the $5 cover.  

But now at $12/14+?   It was kind of sad on our Wonder cruise two months ago.   The crew was doing their routine during prime lunchtime to about 5 scattered parties staring at their phones.  

Edited by Fairsailing
  • Haha 1

On 9/26/2022 at 7:45 AM, reallyitsmema said:

There used to be no additional charge many, many years ago but they changed it sometime around 2006. Started out at $5.95 and has gone up from there. Supposedly it was done because it was becoming a hangout for kids. 

To my recollection it went from no charge to $3.95 per person then 5.95 and so on, apparently to infinity. Doesn't bother us. We just don't go there. Apparently a lot of people do though. 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 8:55 AM, Ret MP said:

Are you sure you didn't actually have a steak at Ruth's Chris?  Man, that's a lot for a burger, fries, and a lemonade.  

I know, ridiculous price! It wasn't any sort of special beef or anything, but they did claim the lemonade was "house made." It was a good burger, but the high pricing was due to location (California Bay Area, beachside). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I know, ridiculous price! It wasn't any sort of special beef or anything, but they did claim the lemonade was "house made." It was a good burger, but the high pricing was due to location (California Bay Area, beachside). 

Well, there you go, the lemonade was "house made".  Ain't that just ducky! 🙄

• Haha 2

On 9/26/2022 at 2:52 PM, Ret MP said:

Just as a side note and it has nothing to do with nothing:

What kind of hamburger do you buy at the grocery store?  90% lean or higher?  80%?  

I get 80% because I believe fat is where the taste comes from in meat, like well marbled Ribeye Steak, and 90% is a little too dry for me.  I like the fat just dripping off of the hamburger bun.  

😃😃😃

Hi, Ret MP,

I buy Laura's 93% fat free (health reasons) but I agree that 80% tastes better.

Jim

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jeh10641 said:

Hi, Ret MP,

I buy Laura's 93% fat free (health reasons) but I agree that 80% tastes better.

Jim

It's all about personal choices and options!  I bet you still enjoy your 93% though.  Hamburgers, for the most part, only have good and gooder.  No wrong answer!

1 minute ago, Ret MP said:

It's all about personal choices and options!  I bet you still enjoy your 93% though.  Hamburgers, for the most part, only have good and gooder.  No wrong answer!

Hi, Ret MP,

I do enjoy burgers. Franz Bakeries makes a Keto friendly bun that has only:

50 calories

17g carbs (approx.)

16g fiber (approx.)

Thank heavens for Franz buns!

Jim

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jeh10641 said:

Hi, Ret MP,

I do enjoy burgers. Franz Bakeries makes a Keto friendly bun that has only:

50 calories

17g carbs (approx.)

16g fiber (approx.)

Thank heavens for Franz buns!

Jim

I do want to congratulate you on only having 539 posts in almost 10 years.  You must have a life!  No 💩

7 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I do want to congratulate you on only having 539 posts in almost 10 years.  You must have a life!  No 💩

Hi, Ret MP,

I retired from work in 2011. I have cruised a few times and I hope my comments can help cruisers enjoy their cruises even more. I usually turn off my computer around Noon to go out for lunch and not turn it on until the next day. Sometimes though, things come up in the AM and I work on my computer later, like now! I am on the Board of the Pacific NW Writers Assoc. and that also fills in time. Just spent last weekend at our annual Writers Conference so no computer for 4 days.

Jim

• Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 12:55 PM, Ret MP said:

I'm saying that $12.00 is a bargain.  And I compare the service, variety, comfort and so on.  You can wait in a long line at Guys have you stuff thrown on a plate, dress your hamburger in a fix'ins island that who knows how many people have had their hand in it, coughed in, spit in and so on, tasted something and put it back, doesn't include a drink, which I have experienced several times, just to fight/look for a place to sit down on the Lido deck, without salt & pepper or napkins on the table if you are lucky enough to get a table.  If you want a drink, you have to go to the Iguana bar (more than likely wait in line there, too) or elsewhere to get a drink while your food gets cold.  You can do all that or more while I'm being served a nice hot meal, in the air conditioned venue with a drink included by a friendly face (that's back before masks) and on occasion the servers break out into dance to music I really enjoy.  Yep, I'll pay the upcharge.  NOTE:  I never discussed taste of the burger, that is way to subjective.  I like JR's better than Guy's, that's my opinion and I don't expect everyone/anyone to feel the same.

I've given my very specific reasons why I like JR's.  Those are my reasons.  You don't have to agree, I'm not putting a gun against your head to eat there.  It's just my reasons, it's what I like.  You do you and I'll do me.  

I love the absurd picture you paint. At Guy's they "throw everything on a plate." Some pieces land on the floor in feces and COVID, and you're left to fend for yourself. While at JR, the descendants of Michelangelo sculpt you a burger that should be in a museum. Guy's has an hour wait in the hull of the ship while JR has your throne ready and the jesters shall perform for your amusement whilst your food is immediately served. The climate for JR is controlled by state-of-the-art computers, performing quadrillions of quantum calculations to per second to perfect humidity and temperate. Whereas with Guy's we eat in Satan's shitter.

I wonder how you eat for the rest of your cruise if you demand this perfection for a burger.

On 9/26/2022 at 5:39 PM, Ret MP said:

Yes, if there was a Fuddruckers close to me, I'd be there in a heart beat.  All this talk about hamburger has made me hungry.  

Something we can agree on. Outstanding burgers. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I love the absurd picture you paint. At Guy's they "throw everything on a plate." Some pieces land on the floor in feces and COVID, and you're left to fend for yourself. While at JR, the descendants of Michelangelo sculpt you a burger that should be in a museum. Guy's has an hour wait in the hull of the ship while JR has your throne ready and the jesters shall perform for your amusement whilst your food is immediately served. The climate for JR is controlled by state-of-the-art computers, performing quadrillions of quantum calculations to per second to perfect humidity and temperate. Whereas with Guy's we eat in Satan's shitter.

I wonder how you eat for the rest of your cruise if you demand this perfection for a burger

I'll give you credit for one thing, you have a very vivid imagination.  

Oh, and I'll eat any where I think the venue meets my very exacting standards.  Next, I think I'll go to, maybe an A&W or better yet, a 7-11 or Waffle House. 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 9:21 PM, firefly333 said:

I just want the onion rings is why we went here. I dont care that much about burgers. 

Playmakers on some ships looks like they have even better. ..its on my list to try. Idk if any of my bookings have a playmakers. 

I see in your signature you have Oasis booked, they have a Playmakers.

On 9/26/2022 at 10:52 PM, Ret MP said:

Just as a side note and it has nothing to do with nothing:

What kind of hamburger do you buy at the grocery store?  90% lean or higher?  80%?  

I get 80% because I believe fat is where the taste comes from in meat, like well marbled Ribeye Steak, and 90% is a little too dry for me.  I like the fat just dripping off of the hamburger bun.  

😃😃😃

As Sam the Cooking Guy says, Fat Makes Flavour.....

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Donsyb said:

I see in your signature you have Oasis booked, they have a Playmakers.

Yes I hope to try it. 

Odd only oasis has it and not harmony? Idk

I'm just not that big on the burgers, so I can take or leave johnny rockets, though I love their has browns for breakfast. .. the fattening stuff. Trimmings. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

Yes I hope to try it. 

Odd only oasis has it and not harmony? Idk

I'm just not that big on the burgers, so I can take or leave johnny rockets, though I love their has browns for breakfast. .. the fattening stuff. Trimmings. 

I think (?) it was added to Oasis during the amplification? But haven't sailed on Oasis before so not sure.

• Like 1