Open Dining is back

Poole Boy

22 hours ago, IB2 said:

if you're a solo or couple wanting the camaraderie than can develop if you land on a good larger table and meet the same people each night, it's a disappointment.

Indeed.

One wonders why the Carnival management decided to deny its TA passengers this experience.

1 hour ago, carlmm said:

Indeed.

One wonders why the Carnival management decided to deny its TA passengers this experience.

In November (Caribbean leg),  fixed assignment as well as open dining are both available in the second seating time. Fixed only on the first seating. We'll see what's available at the time.

And nothing prevents that table with good camaraderie from agreeing to meet at the same time in future nights. It does require having that spark of camaraderie as of the first meting, which may be difficult.

18 hours ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

Haven’t seen much in the way of queues, but then many have opted for fixed, and current pax load is still less than 1800. Also seeing a COVID outbreak with closed sections on our deck.

I don't understand.  Aren't the quarantine areas established before passengers board?  Otherwise Cunard would have to move healthy passengers to other cabins.  If this is correct, how can one correlate the existence of closed sections with COVID cases? 

20 hours ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

We are almost finished with our Barcelona-Barcelona in QE, and there is open seating on the lower level in Britannia all evening and fixed early and late with assigned tables on the upper level. We tried open, but we ended up preferring fixed on the upper level.

Holland America used to operate a similar system as I recall.

19 hours ago, carlmm said:

Indeed.

There is normally a short queue to get in each night, and having to hang around, if not for very long, every time is a little frustrating, compared to the old system where after night one you knew where to go.  People get dealt with very quickly but this means the decisions as to where you get sent are essentially random, and anyone who wants to debate where they’d like to go has to do so with a queue of hungry people waiting behind them.

I complained last night about the new system to the guy allocating the tables, and his response was basically that he knew lots of people didn’t like it, but what could he do?

As a solo traveller the first night I landed on a decent table of six which I would happily have kept for the cruise.  On the second night I arrived five minutes earlier than the night before, and asked for the same table, but was told this was full and was sat on a table of eight with entirely new people, but again a decent group.  Because I was sitting a long way from the previous night, they had to go hunting for my bottle of wine and it was obvious that the wine guys were being kept busy carrying bottles about here and there to follow around guests’ new seating positions.

Last night I turned up and asked for either of the previous tables, but again these weren’t available and I was sat on my own on a table of eight; after ten minutes or so three more people turned up, two of whom spoke no English.  The other four seats stayed empty.  Really it’s a mess for those who enjoyed being part of a group for the whole crossing, and makes dinner for solo travellers and sociable couples a complete lottery, where you dress up and set off for dinner with no idea who or how many people you might be sitting with.  It’s a real shame.

The other observation is that late sitting people are eating earlier - hardly anyone arrives after 8.15pm.  Whether this will change when early sitting people get the same system in November, I don’t know - one problem might be that the requirement to pre-book your eating time each night means that they can’t accommodate everyone from the off, and some have to eat a little later than normal start of first sitting?  And if they allow a large group to book at say 7pm, they are effectively knocking out that table from both sittings, which when the ship is at 100% rather than 80% capacity could easily be a problem.

Edited by IB2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, IB2 said:

Really it’s a mess for those who enjoyed being part of a group for the whole crossing, and makes dinner for solo travellers and sociable couples a complete lottery, where you dress up and set off for dinner with no idea who or how many people you might be sitting with.  It’s a real shame.

I am so sorry for you. 

Just to emphasize your words: It' s a shame.

• Like 2

One consolation by way of mitigation is that at the end of this crossing I will have had so many waiters and wine guys that I won’t feel under any obligation to tip any of them!

The other side of this coin, of course, is that you don’t get the chance to build a relationship with the staff, either, which many diners enjoy.  I remember on my very first crossing we had an amazing waiter with a great sense of humour, and we looked forward to dinner with him each night and I am sure he got good tips. On my second crossing I had a wine guy with good knowledge who got to know my tastes and we enjoyed our nightly discussion about wines. Not having that opportunity is another downside of the new system.

It’s also apparent that with every table at a different stage of their meal, the staff seem a lot more hurried and there isn’t the same opportunity to interact with the staff that you used to get when every table had settled into their first courses.

Edited by IB2
  • Like 1

We were able, with a discreet and not outrageous tip, to get the same socially distanced table for 2 every night at 8pm for the entire cruise, with the same waitstaff. 

There was always a line at 7:45 and a lot of rushing around of maitre'ds and waiters. Just that extra fifteen minutes made all the difference. Lovely relaxed meals and excellent service.

22 hours ago, WoorimBeachLady said:

From the Facebook linked above in the comments:

Hi Linda! Britannia guests will now be able to choose from our standard set times of early dining (18:00) or late dining (20:30), or enjoy the freedom of Open Dining (dine any time from 18:00, with last orders at 21:00)

Well, there's no fixed dining in the late Britannia sitting on my current TA

Edited by IB2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, IB2 said:

Different start dates for each ship -Open Dining will be available from 3 October 2022 on Queen Elizabeth, 23 October 2022 on Queen Victoria, or 1 November 2022 on Queen Mary 2. 

According to the Voyage Personalizer (which isn't always the best source, I admit), there is no fixed late seating dining on our October 25 QM2 crossing either. When Cunard said open dining would be available on the QM2 as of November 1, I thought that meant the new three-choice system would start then - and until then the ship would follow the old system where both seatings were fixed. But apparently not. I can't say I'm happy about it, but nothing is going to keep me off that ship as long as I'm healthy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Patria21 said:

According to the Voyage Personalizer (which isn't always the best source, I admit), there is no fixed late seating dining on our October 25 QM2 crossing either. When Cunard said open dining would be available on the QM2 as of November 1, I thought that meant the new three-choice system would start then - and until then the ship would follow the old system where both seatings were fixed. But apparently not. I can't say I'm happy about it, but nothing is going to keep me off that ship as long as I'm healthy.

As above the current system is fixed for early sitting and book-your-time-every-day and queue up each night to be allocated a table, for late sitting.  If the arrangements are due to change in November then this will only concern people due to travel on the next few cruises.  I don’t like the new system - as above - although I have had two good tables, one OK one, and only one disaster, and am meeting a wider range of people, so there is an upside, even if I strongly prefer the old fixed table approach.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2022 at 6:51 AM, IB2 said:

That's what we were told on our first night of the QM2 to Canada/NE, but we were able to arrange a fixed time and table on the first night with the Maitre'd for that section. 

Maybe he was able to be accommodating because the ship was at 70%? 

On 9/27/2022 at 3:58 PM, Poole Boy said:

Just looked at My Cunard for a forthcoming QE cruise ( 10 Oct BCN to Perth)  and we now have an additional dining option " Open Dining" as well as the traditional First and Second dining options.

Today I got an email from Cunard saying Open Dining was available on my June 2023 cruise.  I don't think I will do it.  On the other cruise lines where it is available (I have done it on Royal and Celebrity) I have always booked a specific time with well in advance rather than just show up.  It does not look like Cunard offers that.

On QE at the moment, fixed dining in the MDR on Deck 3 at 17.45 and 20.15 and open dining in MDR on Deck 2 from 17:45 - 21.00.

Fixed dining on deck 3 appears to be well attended with relatively few empty tables, the mix of table is also favours larger  tables (4,6, or 8).

The Open dining on Deck 2 appears to be work well, with no noticeable queues, the table mix on deck 2 favours tables for 2 rather than larger tables.

We are now 4 days into a 21 day cruise, and I have had the same waiter each evening, I have not specifically requested this, but the system tracks where you have been seated and they appear to trying to seat you in the same location ( and with the same waiter ) each night.

From what I have seen what Cunard are offering in terms of Dining options covers most customer preferences.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Poole Boy said:

On QE at the moment, fixed dining in the MDR on Deck 3 at 17.45 and 20.15 and open dining in MDR on Deck 2 from 17:45 - 21.00.

Fixed dining on deck 3 appears to be well attended with relatively few empty tables, the mix of table is also favours larger  tables (4,6, or 8).

The Open dining on Deck 2 appears to be work well, with no noticeable queues, the table mix on deck 2 favours tables for 2 rather than larger tables.

We are now 4 days into a 21 day cruise, and I have had the same waiter each evening, I have not specifically requested this, but the system tracks where you have been seated and they appear to trying to seat you in the same location ( and with the same waiter ) each night.

From what I have seen what Cunard are offering in terms of Dining options covers most customer preferences.

Are tables for 8 on Deck 3 a new thing?

40 minutes ago, 57eric said:

Are tables for 8 on Deck 3 a new thing?

No, there has always been a selection of large tables either for 6 'or 8' on the upper deck

The reason I know this is,  for one evening  I arranged a special dinner table for a large group of '9' Dancers who formed a friendship on  a recent 78 day cruise in 2020 .

5 hours ago, Poole Boy said:

We requested fixed dining at a 2 top on the QE.  I realize it is hard to tell however, does there appear to be issues with people who want smaller tables and fixed times not getting that. 

9 hours ago, Poole Boy said:

With open dining do you know if you phone each day for a preferred time or do you just turn up?

6 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

No, there has always been a selection of large tables either for 6 'or 8' on the upper deck

The reason I know this is,  for one evening  I arranged a special dinner table for a large group of '9' Dancers who formed a friendship on  a recent 78 day cruise in 2020 .

Thanks.  The deck plan doesn't show any, but I realize that it's notional in regard to Britannia seating.

14 minutes ago, 57eric said:

Thanks.  The deck plan doesn't show any, but I realize that it's notional in regard to Britannia seating.

The deck plan is  not really specific to the actual size of tables , there are several large tables on both decks  that can easily seat from up to 6/8/10 .