Barbers.

clarets

16 minutes ago, clarets said:

£25 seems a bit steep for a haircut

It is certainly not cheap, but to be honest doesn't seem that expensive, and I know plenty of men who would pay more than that for a haircut back in the UK.

Edited by picsa
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, picsa said:

It is certainly not cheap, but to be honest doesn't seem that expensive, and I know plenty of men who would pay more than that haircut back in the UK.

There are quite a few Turkish barbers round our way.  From the services they offer, maybe the extra bit of male grooming/pampering may be worth it.  Not for me though...🤣

I had my hair cut onboard a few years ago. I wasn’t overly impressed and thought it expensive. They were quite keen to sell me hair care products, offers I declined.

Locally I pay less than half of that for a simple trim which is really all I need. Best to have it done before you cruise rather than during.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I had my hair cut onboard a few years ago. I wasn’t overly impressed and thought it expensive. They were quite keen to sell me hair care products, offers I declined.

Locally I pay less than half of that for a simple trim which is really all I need. Best to have it done before you cruise rather than during.

Years ago we did a final sector of a worldie.  Some of the pax we chatted with told us that a lot of gents on the full worldie got haircuts ashore.  Possibly more entertaining than some of the ships shore trips.

8 hours ago, pete14 said:

As well as the hair care product hard sell at the end of your haircut did they ask if "Sir wanted anything for the weekend" 😉

• Haha 1

I had mine cut at that price a few years ago. The hairdresser tried his hardest to sell me a shave etc etc. It is a basic haircut and not worth more than a £10.

A couple of years ago my wife booked a shave and facial for me at about £90. The barbers chair was seized and wouldn't recline and the girl said it was my fault because I didn't fit the chair. I asked if that was because I was a freak of some sort. Anyway, she said I would have to lie on a massage table for a shave. I wasn't convinced but even less so when she brought out a Gillette disposable razor. I told her where to stick it and demanded a refund. I complained when I got home but P&O said it was nothing to do with them as they were a private company. Not a pleasant experience I'm afraid.

2 hours ago, dgs1956 said:

I complained when I got home but P&O said it was nothing to do with them as they were a private company. Not a pleasant experience I'm afraid.

That is the problem.

The beauty treatments, hair cutting etc are all carried out by independent operators,  who pay P&O to operate on board. Hence, the hard sell for "extras", and why P&O can deny any responsibility. 

Sometimes passengers  lose all sense of perspective,  and pay three times more than they would ashore. And that is before the hard sell to buy overpriced cosmetics, hair gel etc. 

• Like 1

Had a trim on saga recently-similar price.

I was curious to try it.

Not a very good cut - miserable barber who didn’t even ask if I had been on any holidays recently ! Was mute the whole time.

Not worth it - unless in an emergency after self cutting or wife cutting has gone badly wrong.

• Haha 1

I pay £10 every 5 weeks - on all the cruises I've been on I have never once ventured into the spa - and would certainly never get my hair cut on board. If only Mrs RR had the same approach to the spas....🤥

Up The Clarets!

On 10/2/2022 at 1:03 PM, Son of Anarchy said:

When or if! i cut my hair again, I'll be bringing my trusty old clippers out of 

In the last 25 yeas I've bought five sets of clippers at about £25 a set. Cut my own hair and trim my own beard once a week at a cost of £5 a year! Wish I'd gone bald a lot earlier......

• Like 1