Hair services

Tradestock

I have scheduled a shampoo, cut and style dry through spa services.  Will this be a high pressure sales experience, or will an exchange of polite pleasantries occur with little to no mention of the need for magical cures and elixirs?   Does the style include hair up or just a blow out?

I had my hair cut for the first time in a ship's salon in May onboard Rotterdam.  My cut was fabulous, and they will style your hair almost any way that you might like.  I was not pressured to buy anything after I told them that I did not care for anything more than the shampoo/cut/dry/style.  

I loved the cut so much that I've made an appointment for boarding day on my next cruise which is Rotterdam's 150th Transatlantic Anniversary cruise beginning October 15th.  My friend is onboard now and got her hair cut/styled yesterday, and she loves it!  I highly recommend this service.

My sister and I have both used the spa for hair.   I had mine only cut on a long journey and she had a blow out.  We both politely said we didn’t want any product sales at the beginning of the appointment and were not bothered further.  We both were pleased with the results. 

I had a keratin complex express blow out and a cut on Statendam earlier this month.  While the keratin was fairly expensive it was totally worth it!  I have never had one before and it made my curly frizzy hair softer and less frizzy without straightening it.  Ruth did an amazing job  so much so that I went back later in the cruise for a wash and blow dry.  She even gave me a gift certificate to use for the wash and blow dry so it didn't cost me anything other than the tip.   She didn't try to sell me products instead she gave me some advice on what types of products to use (ie sulfate free products as well as occasionally using purple shampoo to cut the brassiness of my gray hair).  Wished I could have brought Ruth home with me!

1 hour ago, bebe08 said:

I had a keratin complex express blow out and a cut on Statendam earlier this month.  While the keratin was fairly expensive it was totally worth it!  I have never had one before and it made my curly frizzy hair softer and less frizzy without straightening it.  Ruth did an amazing job  so much so that I went back later in the cruise for a wash and blow dry.  She even gave me a gift certificate to use for the wash and blow dry so it didn't cost me anything other than the tip.   She didn't try to sell me products instead she gave me some advice on what types of products to use (ie sulfate free products as well as occasionally using purple shampoo to cut the brassiness of my gray hair).  Wished I could have brought Ruth home with me!

You should try the Moroccan oil they sell in the shops downstairs.  I was having a friendly chat while testing perfume before dinner and complained about my frizzy hair.  She handed me the tester of the oils and told me to  try it, I bravely did it right there just before my reservation.  I came back after dinner and bought some.  

• Like 1

I was DESPERATE for a cut on our March cruise, and it was literally the best cut I ever had.  The stylist told me about every product he used.  At the end of the session, I told him I wanted to live with it for the duration of the cruise (2 weeks), then I would come back and talk to him again.  Which I did.  Then I told him I wasn’t going to spend $200 on hair products, but what did he think was the single most important.  We had a very good conversation, I bought a couple of items, and tipped him for taking another 20 minutes to talk with me.  He was also good enough to tell me some details about the cut for me to tell my home stylist, so 6 months later I’m still a happy customer!

• Like 6

As a male, I have had my hair cut during a cruise and, whatever the gender of the staff member, the service that was done was the equal to or better than my regular barbers.

On my most recent cruise, aboard the Eurodam, I needed a hair-cut and decided to add something that I had never tried:  a mini-facial and shave.  The gentleman cut my hair very well and I so enjoyed the mini-facial and shave that I booked another one before the end of the cruise.  The first time, yes, there was a sales pitch for an Elemis product that he used and I did buy it.  The second time:  no sales pitch for anything.  

• Like 2

One thing I'll mention is that we always seem to get Spa coupons delivered to the cabin 3 or 4 days into a cruise, for something like $80 off anything.

Using a coupon, as a male, I get a free haircut, as they are priced from $49- $79. (Yes, I still tip)

My wife uses one to get a whole hair package for about half price, which makes is comparable to services at a salon at home.

And we both love the service and quality of the cut and care.

As a man, I can push it to two months between haircuts, and have done just that during the pandemic.  I don't want a stranger breathing on me, although I am sure they would at least be masked on the ship as opposed to my local barber.  So it is unlikely I would ever need one unless we take a world cruise.  But I am curious how much a men's haircut onboard would be, if anyone happens to know.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Torquer said:

As a man, I can push it to two months between haircuts, and have done just that during the pandemic.  I don't want a stranger breathing on me, although I am sure they would at least be masked on the ship as opposed to my local barber.  So it is unlikely I would ever need one unless we take a world cruise.  But I am curious how much a men's haircut onboard would be, if anyone happens to know.

I believe my DH cut was $45 plus tip in Jan. No pressure. 

2 hours ago, Torquer said:

But I am curious how much a men's haircut onboard would be, if anyone happens to know.

I will get into my records for my cruise and see if I can help you.  Even with the mini-facial and shave, the price was reasonable in my opinion.  

Thanks for the info on the prices in the salon.

BTW, you may be curious where the crew members get their hair cut.  We have seen on a couple different "Behind the Scenes Ship Tour" of a crew member cutting other crew members hair in a crew stairwell.  They had set up a little station for it in the stairwell with chair and other equipment right there.  In addition to the person in the chair there were a couple other crew members lined up waiting.  Our tour guide told us the "barber" was just a regular off-duty crewman who learned to do it and had no formal training; they said they do it to make extra money and the charge was only a couple dollars for a haircut.  Obviously, these guys have learned to do it pretty well since all the staff look very neat.

• Like 2