HAL policy when 1 person in cabin can't sail

RICHARD@SEA

A friend & I are looking at a sailing on HAL for November.  My question is should my friend not be able to sail due to health issues(he's a caregiver to his parents) & needs to cancel at the last minute and I sail as a single  - will I be charged as a single or will the double rate apply - has anyone had this experience w HAL?

Thank you!!!

38 minutes ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

A friend & I are looking at a sailing on HAL for November.  My question is should my friend not be able to sail due to health issues(he's a caregiver to his parents) & needs to cancel at the last minute and I sail as a single  - will I be charged as a single or will the double rate apply - has anyone had this experience w HAL?

Thank you!!!

Not certain, but I would assume you would be charged the single price.  I would buy HAL's Cancel for any reason Insurance in your situation.

The answer partially depends on who is paying and if insurance is involved.

If one person cancels in advance HAL then considers it a solo cruise and will re-fare the remaining person to the solo rate.

If you don't cancel and one simply does not show up, any port fees and taxes may be refunded (probably will) but nothing else.

If insurance is involved and the second person cancels, insurance will refund to the cancelling person and may cover the upcharge to solo rate - depends on coverage.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, richwmn said:

The answer partially depends on who is paying and if insurance is involved.

If one person cancels in advance HAL then considers it a solo cruise and will re-fare the remaining person to the solo rate.

If you don't cancel and one simply does not show up, any port fees and taxes may be refunded (probably will) but nothing else.

If insurance is involved and the second person cancels, insurance will refund to the cancelling person and may cover the upcharge to solo rate - depends on coverage.

Hi Rich,  do you know how this would work with HAL’s CPP?  I have a sister who might get called away at the last moment.   Thank you

8 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Hi Rich,  do you know how this would work with HAL’s CPP?  I have a sister who might get called away at the last moment.   Thank you

Not first hand. People have posted in the past that HAL's CPP will refund to the cancelling passenger but not cover the change to solo fare.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not Rich, but HAL’s CPP doesn’t cover the  cost of the single supplement:

From HAL’s website:

CPP Platinum does not protect double-triple-quad occupancy rates should one or more members of your party cancel prior to departure.”

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/pre-post-travel-cruise/cancellation-protection-plan.html

OP might want to look into insurance purchased outside of HAL. If caregiving for an emergency is covered, your roommate may be covered at 100%. Your policy might also cover you for the single supplement.  Unless your plan is to also cancel if they have to cancel.

Personally, if I were to travel with someone other than my DH, I would have the “what if” conversation with them as it pertains to whether the plan is for both to cancel if 1 cancels, or “for the show to go on”. That might drive what type of insurance to get. 

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Not Rich, but HAL’s CPP doesn’t cover the  cost of the single supplement:

From HAL’s website:

CPP Platinum does not protect double-triple-quad occupancy rates should one or more members of your party cancel prior to departure.”

That is fine and might work for her.   Our circumstances are a bit tricky but ultimately I want to get her airfare back if she is forced to cancel for work related reasons which is not covered by regular travel insurance.  Do both persons need to purchase or is it by passenger?

10 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

That is fine and might work for her.   Our circumstances are a bit tricky but ultimately I want to get her airfare back if she is forced to cancel for work related reasons which is not covered by regular travel insurance.  Do both persons need to purchase or is it by passenger?

I’m not clear on that, as I have only sailed solo or with my DH. When we sailed together, it was a single policy, covering both of us. But we also made a single payment from a single account to cover the 2of us.

I’m not sure how HAL sets up the accounting when 2 friends sail. Perhaps someone who has done so can weigh in here. Does HAL accept and process separate payments for both involved?

***************+++

Incidentally, the cost for platinum is ~10% of the cost of the cruise. Air and pre-cruise extensions ( such as Iguazu through HAL) are covered, but they are not included in figuring the cost of the plan. (I have first hand experience unfortunately, on this last paragraph.)

I’m not sure how HAL sets up the accounting when 2 friends sail. Perhaps someone who has done so can weigh in here. Does HAL accept and process separate payments for both involved?

I pay her way.  Since I would be sailing solo anyway I invite her and I pay  her airfare also. The airfare has always been a bit of an issue as we fly business and mostly they want to issue a flight credit as a refund and I don’t want a credit.  The CPP refunds the airfare as well, if booked through HAL.  

I appreciate your answers, in the end I will have my TA call.  I will try to remember to report my answers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

I pay her way.  Since I would be sailing solo anyway I invite her and I pay  her airfare also. The airfare has always been a bit of an issue as we fly business and mostly they want to issue a flight credit as a refund and I don’t want a credit.  The CPP refunds the airfare as well, if booked through HAL.  

I appreciate your answers, in the end I will have my TA call.  I will try to remember to report my answers

That’s really nice of you.

I had considered that a couple of times, and decided against it, as I  wanted to be totally free to cancel if my parent had a “something” come up, or if I had a “bad feeling”, and not feel bad about disappointing my friend.

That’s really nice of you.

I had considered that a couple of times, and decided against it, as I  wanted to be totally free to cancel if my parent had a “something” come up, or if I had a “bad feeling”, and not feel bad about disappointing my friend.

Yeah, she is a single woman, a hard working nurse and we travel well together.  She understands the concept of cruising, enjoying the ride together but having the freedom to do what you want in port. 

• Like 1

April 2022, I had a friend booked to accompany me on a B2B.  My friend had to cancel the first leg and it cost me an additional $197.  When it was necessary to cancel the second leg for my friend, I just had a "no show" and paid nothing extra. 

i paid only my Crew Appreciation charges for the second leg.

Lesson:  Cancellation may cost more than just a "no show" but of course YMMV.  Inquire about the costs for cancelling before taking that step.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We had booked my aunt (mother's sister) with my mom for an Alaskan sailing. We were paying for both of them. My aunt was being a little flaky from the get-go, so I bought Standard Cancellation Protection for her. When she opted not to come -- the CCP would have paid back 80% of her fare... but my mom's fare would have gone up 90%! We went with a "no show" and kissed the CCP fee goodbye.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Good Morning, in the past I’ve bought their insurance and DH didn’t.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Were you paying separately?

Did you tell the agent it was to cover only 1 person ( half of the total fare?)

I’m trying to visualize this.

We usually pay separately.  For my upcoming NA cruise I did it online without using the PCC.  You can add it one person at a time or both at the same time.  Super easy.

• Thanks 1