Does one tip in speciality restaurants?

grak

On 9/28/2022 at 7:23 PM, grak said:

I wonder if you should leave a tip at the speciality restaurants. I would assume they get the added tip but do you leave extra?

Normally, gratuity is added to the bill. At least it was with us. It's up to you if you wish to tip above that. We've always had outstanding service on Princess, so yes, we tip over & above. We're in the hospitality business so the staff is sort of family to us. The ones who stiff the staff & remove the auto tip(you know who you are!) are the lowest type. I suggest those who do, keep quiet to avoid "outing" themselves LOL!

Edited by rbtan
additions
  • Haha 1

As an Aussie, why would you tip extra when you pay on board auto gratuities?  In Australia your gratuity is rolled  into your fare, no additional tipping required.  In the past many Aussies were taking the auto gratuity off, hence now paid as part of fare, likewise with the Brits. Way to go.

I call the auto tip the AWS..Automatic Wage Subsidy, lol.

Edited by NSWP
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, NSWP said:

As an Aussie, why would you tip extra when you pay on board auto gratuities?  In Australia your gratuity is rolled  into your fare, no additional tipping required.  In the past many Aussies were taking the auto gratuity off, hence now paid as part of fare, likewise with the Brits. Way to go.

I call the auto tip the AWS..Automatic Wage Subsidy, lol.

Glad cruise lines are now making it hard to remove it. You have to show proof of bad service in order to remove the gratuity. I've seen pax get bad service a number of times. Of course, I guess that treating staff like personal slaves warrants poor service back. Nothing more fun than that self entitled New Yorker getting a comeuppance on occasion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rbtan said:

Glad cruise lines are now making it hard to remove it. You have to show proof of bad service in order to remove the gratuity. I've seen pax get bad service a number of times. Of course, I guess that treating staff like personal slaves warrants poor service back. Nothing more fun than that self entitled New Yorker getting a comeuppance on occasion.

I'm not sure you have to show bad service in order to remove it...

4 hours ago, suzyed said:

I'm not sure you have to show bad service in order to remove it...

Basically, some lines are demanding verifiable instances of bad service by staff. Considering that literally everything you do on a ship is on video, this is pretty easy to prove. I've seen pax treat staff like absolute crap(not often, but seen it) On Celebrity, my spouse interceded in a incident that became physical between a staff mgr & a scumbag pax. The pax was banned for life upon returning to port. Other lines are notified as well. what we found out from this staff mgr. was the amount of security who are dressed like pax. They were about to deal with this belligerent pax when my spouse got involved. We wound up with a nice bottle of wine, a nice dinner & several free excursions as a thank you. I'd recommend not taking this on if you're really not physically able.

• Like 1

I think the generous cruisers should tip at least $1000 per person since those servers work hard, have dozens of starving children at home, etc.  And those folks should also ask for permission to go back in the galley and spread $100 (US) bills around the really hard-working staff.  They will all appreciate your generosity.  And do not forget to give at least a $50 tip to the seamen that help you in and out of tenders (if you have a tender port).  Those poor folks do not even get to share in the tipping pool so really need your generosity.

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I think the generous cruisers should tip at least $1000 per person since those servers work hard, have dozens of starving children at home, etc.  And those folks should also ask for permission to go back in the galley and spread $100 (US) bills around the really hard-working staff.  They will all appreciate your generosity.  And do not forget to give at least a $50 tip to the seamen that help you in and out of tenders (if you have a tender port).  Those poor folks do not even get to share in the tipping pool so really need your generosity.

Hank

LOL! You forgot the captain. How much should we tip him? $2000? $5000? Please provide us more of your guidance! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, sloopsailor said:

LOL! You forgot the captain. How much should we tip him? $2000? $5000? Please provide us more of your guidance! 

Well, as most Americans use a percentage tipping system,  how about 17.5% of the cost of the cruise ?

Just not sure how I can deliver the envelope to him at the end of the cruise. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Well, as most Americans use a percentage tipping system,  how about 17.5% of the cost of the cruise ?

Just not sure how I can deliver the envelope to him at the end of the cruise. 

We have a Norwegian friend who is a retired cruise ship Captain.  If he is reading this thread, I can imagine he is readying his claim for reparations for the all the tips he never received 🙂

Hank

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We have a Norwegian friend who is a retired cruise ship Captain.  If he is reading this thread, I can imagine he is readying his claim for reparations for the all the tips he never received 🙂

Hank

Well, after all, he worked anti-social hours, had to leave his family behind, and deal with difficult customers. Too right he should get a tip!

The captain on "Below Decks" always gets a tip !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Surely you are joking? Not all cruisers have that sort of dough to spread around. I don't.

• Haha 2