Did Costa Concordia have lasting changes on how you prepare for a cruise?

cruisemom42

1 minute ago, Heidi13 said:

I recall the days of lifeboat water before bottles and bags. Used to be in containers built into the athwartships benches, with dippers to get out samples. It was ghastly. We couldn't give the Barley Sugars away.

Never had that, but our canned water used to be brutal on our hands.  During monthly inspections, you had to smack the can smartly into your hand to get the proper "clack" of a vacuum sealed liquid.  I do miss the condensed milk, as this was used as a lubricant for drilling stainless steel (don't ask me why it worked, but it sure did).

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

Never had that, but our canned water used to be brutal on our hands.  During monthly inspections, you had to smack the can smartly into your hand to get the proper "clack" of a vacuum sealed liquid.  I do miss the condensed milk, as this was used as a lubricant for drilling stainless steel (don't ask me why it worked, but it sure did).

The tanks had the dippers chained to the caps, with a spare dipper in the small gear locker. I had forgotten about the condensed milk, so that brought back some memories.

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I do miss the condensed milk, as this was used as a lubricant for drilling stainless steel (don't ask me why it worked, but it sure did).

Oh, great!  At one point in my life, my Mother served me an industrial solvent to drink?  😀

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

Oh, great!  At one point in my life, my Mother served me an industrial solvent to drink?  😀

Lubricant, not solvent.  Stainless steel is very tough to machine, and something, either the concentrated sugar or whatever acts as a cooling and lubricating agent.  And, she gave you condensed milk, or evaporated milk.  Condensed milk is the thick stuff that pours like cake batter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Lubricant, not solvent.  Stainless steel is very tough to machine, and something, either the concentrated sugar or whatever acts as a cooling and lubricating agent.  And, she gave you condensed milk, or evaporated milk.  Condensed milk is the thick stuff that pours like cake batter.

I stand corrected.  Thank you.  It is a surprising lubricant.  

5 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I stand corrected.  Thank you.  It is a surprising lubricant.  

Condensed milk is up to 40-45% added sugar, so it is likely the sugar that is the lubricant.  I didn't believe it myself until an old machinist showed me that it made a normal drill cut through stainless steel like a hot knife through butter.  I have the same problem getting the steward to order the condensed milk, they always get evaporated, which is useless to us.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

If you have notified Guest Services of your accessibility issues, during an actual muster, crew who will lead you to an elevator.  Contrary to popular "knowledge" the elevators work, but are in "firefighter" mode, meaning they cannot be called to a floor from outside the elevator.  There will be crew at the elevator who can call on the radio for the elevator to come to your deck and take you to the deck where the muster stations are.

Thanks!  I did not know this.  

I always assumed my steward knew I'd need help since I was in a HA cabin, but I always tell him anyway (that I'd need help).