How full are the ships sailing now?

wallysdtr

Just now, dlh015 said:

Ooops...sorry, I was quoting an entry in the thread I posted. I see that isn't very clear at all.  Since the OP was asking about the Equinox, I randomly chose that entry for them...

Sorry about that!  

No apology necessary. 🙂  But....what has been your recent experience regarding capacity and where did you cruise?

13 hours ago, pickle11 said:

Cruising Solstice tomorrow.  On one travel website I counted over 180 balconies still available.  Didn't bother to look at oceanview or inside.  I only look to upgrade.  Who cares how many people are on the ship.  Never was a concern before COVID.  Not a concern now.  More concerned about the weather.  Hope OP gets in info they need to enjoy their cruise.  

The Solstice has felt very light on the 9/24 sailing, and we were told the 10/1 will have even fewer passengers. Coughing all over the ship has increased dramatically, though. We took a Covid self-test today, and so far remain symptom free and negative.

I have some concerns for the staff starting tomorrow when masks become optional. I really hope people start covering their mouths when coughing and sneezing. I wish I could post a video of the thoughtless and careless behavior from guests we've witnessed. The crew seem very new, inexperienced and a bit overwhelmed. 

I hope you'll post your observations. I'll be following your trip with interest. Enjoy your time on the sea! 🙂

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, SusieAV8R said:

No apology necessary. 🙂  But....what has been your recent experience regarding capacity and where did you cruise?

I've taken two recent cruises, both on Princess.  March, 15 day Ruby Princess to Hawaii RT from SF. About 90% full. I had a great time.  

June, B2B2B total of 21 days Regal Princess Mediterranean RT from Barcelona (It was amazing!)...about 66%, then 80%, then 70%.  

• Thanks 1

I concur once the economy bites bookings may go down.

Also for our upcoming May cruise on Silhouette we are trying Aqua for the first time. We have only cruised suites before either PH or RS equivalent. On upcoming October Apex cruise we are sailing CS.

Can no longer justify the prices for higher suites. On E class I’ll only sail in a suite. I may end up trying an SV one day if I like the ship enough. I don’t think I’d try an IV.

There are alternatives to try instead. 

• Like 1

We really try to book sky suites or higher.  However due to the obscene increases, might not in the future.  We might consider CC class and dining nightly in sp restaurants.  We are elite plus, but since the zenith level requires over 1400 more points then we have, we probably will never reach it.  Celebrity should have a category between elite plus and zenith with increased benefits.  

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 4

On 9/30/2022 at 1:46 PM, broker1217 said:

I'm on Eclipse now--it is full. Short-staffed so you will wait in line for everything and you need to self-serve at most bars or sit at the bar.

This is our first (and last) Celebrity cruise.

I feel for the staff. They are trying very hard and extremely pleasant.

Pack your patience if you feel you must cruise on Celebrity.

Not totally full at 2550 passengers..

On 9/29/2022 at 11:40 PM, pickle11 said:

WHY

I asked because I was curious.  It had absolutely nothing to do with Covid - at all.   So if you needed an answer to your ? why - that is it.  Just curiousity - nothing more. 

We are on Oceania right next to Eclipse in Honolulu. Are you heading to Sydney?  We are usually Celebrity cruisers (50 plus cruises). Sounds like a good decision not to be on Eclipse right now. 
we are heading to French Polynesia. 230 passengers out of 650 capacity with 400 crew. 

43 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

It's literally a total crap shoot but it seems repositionings/TAs/TPs will most likely have a low pax count.

I've run the numbers on two of the upcoming TAs for other reasons, and Reflection was running (from memory) at about 78% max, and Constellation at 87% max.  Not low at all compared to, say, the Millie Panama transit.

• Thanks 1

On 9/30/2022 at 10:50 PM, SunNFunCruzer said:

The Solstice has felt very light on the 9/24 sailing, and we were told the 10/1 will have even fewer passengers. Coughing all over the ship has increased dramatically, though. We took a Covid self-test today, and so far remain symptom free and negative.

I have some concerns for the staff starting tomorrow when masks become optional. I really hope people start covering their mouths when coughing and sneezing. I wish I could post a video of the thoughtless and careless behavior from guests we've witnessed. The crew seem very new, inexperienced and a bit overwhelmed. 

I hope you'll post your observations. I'll be following your trip with interest. Enjoy your time on the sea! 🙂

But a percentage of  human beings are often thoughtless and careless, be it while driving on our roadways or going up and down aisles at then grocery stores, etc.   So why would we expect les son a cruise ship?

On 10/1/2022 at 6:49 AM, Cruise a holic said:

We really try to book sky suites or higher.  However due to the obscene increases, might not in the future.  We might consider CC class and dining nightly in sp restaurants.  We are elite plus, but since the zenith level requires over 1400 more points then we have, we probably will never reach it.  Celebrity should have a category between elite plus and zenith with increased benefits.  

Maybe you don't want to blame Celebrity.  Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian are having the exact same problem with getting staff on board.  Administrative overhead with getting the visas and complying with various covid requirements has proven far more difficult for the cruise lines than they had allowed for.  Hopefully this will get fixed in the near future; otherwise the cruise lines will have to limit capacity which will increase the individual cost of cruising.  Supply and demand.

11 hours ago, Atarangi957 said:

We are on the Sept 30 sailing on Millenium from San Diego through the Panama Canal historic locks ending in San Juan, PR. We are around 800 passengers. Suites are full.

Sounds like a numbder of bid ups.  True?

1 hour ago, SusieAV8R said:

Maybe you don't want to blame Celebrity.  Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian are having the exact same problem with getting staff on board.  Administrative overhead with getting the visas and complying with various covid requirements has proven far more difficult for the cruise lines than they had allowed for.  Hopefully this will get fixed in the near future; otherwise the cruise lines will have to limit capacity which will increase the individual cost of cruising.  Supply and demand.

I don’t think they are paying to much attention to supply and demand. Since the startup I’ve priced plenty of cruises and they were all priced more than before the pandemic so we passed. I’ve read postings about some of these cruises and some of them sailed at less than 50% occupancy. The last one I priced was the repositioning cruise on the Millennium sailing now. According to a posting they have 800 aboard and the capacity is 2,100.

8 hours ago, SusieAV8R said:

We sailed on the RC Adventure a few months ago- it was mobbed.  Much less staff but full.  The ship was in horrible condition also.  We also did the Oasis- which was also full, but better service and amenities.  When I booked cococay during and pre pandemic on Royal, paid $100 pp for the day, now over $300 pp.  We sailed on the Equinox last march was much better staffing and the ship was at least 90% full, for the same thing- I understand we are in a period of inflation, but ....... 

Edited by Cruise a holic

On 10/1/2022 at 12:46 AM, broker1217 said:

I'm on Eclipse now--it is full. Short-staffed so you will wait in line for everything and you need to self-serve at most bars or sit at the bar.

Will it be different on other cruise lines?

Edited by C4HCG

On 9/30/2022 at 8:40 AM, LGW59 said:

Right!  When the ships were not allowed to sail, we all were like come on already, let’s get this back up and running.  Now that we are sailing the “how full are the ships” posts and lamenting the almost back to capacity sailings makes me shake my head.

And I'm taking the overall question a different way, not in a negative way at all.  I look at it as another useful piece of information in planning - for the pool, for restaurants, and if I am going somewhere with tendering, set expectations for how long of a wait for a tender.  I'm fine with whatever level, but it is a good datapoint to have 🤷‍♀️         

1 minute ago, mtempelaar said:

And I'm taking the overall question a different way, not in a negative way at all.  I look at it as another useful piece of information in planning - for the pool, for restaurants, and if I am going somewhere with tendering, set expectations for how long of a wait for a tender.  I'm fine with whatever level, but it is a good datapoint to have 🤷‍♀️         

Great point!

Cheers

• Like 1

On 9/30/2022 at 6:46 PM, broker1217 said:

I would LOVE to serve myself at bars, would ensure generous pours of what ever I wanted !

(Yes, I do understand this means no bar service, still...)

• Haha 1