why do people DO this?!? (connecting rooms)

styxfire

I do try to avoid booking connecting cabins it seems they can be noisier then those that don't connect.  However, if the only cabin left in the area I wanted was a connecting one, I would not hesitate to book it.  

First come, first serve basically.  I really don't know why anyone would reasonably expect otherwise.

4 hours ago, Homosassa said:

And as far as those yahoos who spend their time pounding on nearby cabin doors and talking in the hallway are concerned, they get one polite request from me to not do it, and then I let Guest Services handle it (usually security will talk to them).

We can't talk in the hallway?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Where is THAT posted?  (serious question, I've never heard of that before)

I've literally never heard or read that either. Common sense says to keep it down, usually between 7 am and 11 pm. A lot of campgrounds and hotels have those hours posted. But I've never heard of any "quiet hours" on a cruise ship. I've also never had a problem with hallway noise on any cruise I've been on.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MyTMo777 said:

I've literally never heard or read that either. Common sense says to keep it down, usually between 7 am and 11 pm. A lot of campgrounds and hotels have those hours posted. But I've never heard of any "quiet hours" on a cruise ship. I've also never had a problem with hallway noise on any cruise I've been on.

Yep.  I get it that people should be quiet in the hallways near cabins (all day, not just during "quiet hours"), but no talking whatsoever?  And security will come to talk to you if you do?  Hmmmm....  Wouldn't they have to enter your room so that THEY were not talking in the hallway?  🤣

I think people just make up some of this stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The dashed lines indicate connecting cabins.  Do you see how some of the cabins are separated by solid lines, whereas others are separated by dashed lines? Admittedly, Norwegian website depicts connecting rooms very poorly.

I would never willingly book a connecting cabin, however we found on our recent NCL cruise that our cabin had been changed by NCL (without informing us) to one.

Only noticed when logging in one day and saw a different cabin number. Called them and ended up paying an extremely reasonable amount to upgrade from an inside to a balcony cabin (and non-connecting room!).

I was told on the phoned we'd been moved for 'operational reasons'

19 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Not after 10 PM or before 8AM....

I was giving a rhetorical answer to a rhetorical question.

However, why don't people treat the hallways by the cabins like they would the area outside their home bedroom  at night when trying to sleep? 

I imagine anyone in the household knocking on doors and carrying on a conversation would be quickly hushed.

There have been times I booked a connecting cabin for just 2 of us.  It would never be my first choice but, if it's the cabin type I want, in the location I prefer, I don't worry about who might want/need(?) the cabin I've booked.

Why anyone would think I should change cabins because their decision to book after I did interferes with their plans is beyond me!  IMHO, that's being mean & selfish!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

A lot of times that's all that's left in the area or category you want. Whether it's connecting or not is not a concern to many.  I could be wrong but looking at deck plans I think there's a lot more connecting cabins than are usually needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, phoenix1181 said:

Why anyone would think I should change cabins because their decision to book after I did interferes with their plans is beyond me!  IMHO, that's being mean & selfish!

I'm the O.P, and I don't think you SHOULD....  but I do wonder if one WOULD, if appropriate incentive were offered?   Please note that my question was about the phenomena of colluded bookings of one-half of every connecting pair on the deck.  A couple of people explained why it "appeared that way" but wasn't actually happening.  So I am relieved.

The cabin reservations operate on a first-come first-serve basis.  I support that.  (Except for the pesky cruiseline's ability to bump you for ANY reason, lol.)  I DID mull over the idea of offering someone extra money if they would be willing to move to 1 cabin left/right of their assigned one.  Not sure I would actually attempt that...  I can see how it could be interpreted as a selfish ask.   The party clearly has every right to say "No thanks, I'm not switching".  And there would certainly be no hard feelings from me about it.  First-come, first serve.

If I was desperate, I might ask the cruiseline if they'd be willing to negotiate that for me, PRE-cruise.

But keep in mind:  if someone accepted that "ask", they would:

----receive the incentive;

AND

----would be spared from hearing a multitude of door knocks all cruise-long on both sides of their cabin, as the split-family on both sides of them tries to coordinate meals & activities all day long.

I don't perceive booking an unneeded connecting cabin is as hurtful as booking an unneeded ACCESSIBLE cabin.  Half my frustration is simply that Norwegian makes it almost impossible to view the connecting cabin-pairs that are available.  Other cruiselines offer that functionality (or some form of it) within their booking process.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, styxfire said:

I'm the O.P, and I don't think you SHOULD....  but I do wonder if one WOULD, if appropriate incentive were offered?   Please note that my question was about the phenomena of colluded bookings of one-half of every connecting pair on the deck.  A couple of people explained why it "appeared that way" but wasn't actually happening.  So I am relieved.

The cabin reservations operate on a first-come first-serve basis.  I support that.  (Except for the pesky cruiseline's ability to bump you for ANY reason, lol.)  I DID mull over the idea of offering someone extra money if they would be willing to move to 1 cabin left/right of their assigned one.  Not sure I would actually attempt that...  I can see how it could be interpreted as a selfish ask.   The party clearly has every right to say "No thanks, I'm not switching".  And there would certainly be no hard feelings from me about it.  First-come, first serve.

If I was desperate, I might ask the cruiseline if they'd be willing to negotiate that for me, PRE-cruise.

But keep in mind:  if someone accepted that "ask", they would:

----receive the incentive;

AND

----would be spared from hearing a multitude of door knocks all cruise-long on both sides of their cabin, as the split-family on both sides of them tries to coordinate meals & activities all day long.

I don't perceive booking an unneeded connecting cabin is as hurtful as booking an unneeded ACCESSIBLE cabin.  Half my frustration is simply that Norwegian makes it almost impossible to view the connecting cabin-pairs that are available.  Other cruiselines offer that functionality (or some form of it) within their booking process.

Sorry, that's a no from me but I wish you luck in your pursuit. 

Just a thought...  Instead of booking online, why not call NCL directly?  If you pull up deck plans, you'll be able to see the location of whatever adjoining cabins the rep indicates are available. 

• Like 1

As many have said I don’t like booking an adjoining cabin but often the only cabins available in the category or deck that I want. But I have been in your shoes where I’ve needed an adjoining cabin. I’ve traveled with my 3 children since they were very young and there’s only 3 1/2  years between the oldest and the youngest. So for many years we would have to have adjoining cabins with the doors open. 

Once they were old enough to be “unsupervised” we would get the inside directly across the hall from us. (I’m talking when they were teenagers and have been lucky enough to travel their whole lives and they know proper hotel/ cruise cabin etiquette- especially when it comes to noise). But one thing we did is get extra “keys” for the rooms. You can get them from the guest services desk. It’s a card that has no information on it and can’t be used for purchases, etc. but will open the cabin door. So we could “pop in” anytime we wanted and they could get us if they needed something without knocking. I don’t know the relationship between you and the other cabin but the extra keys might work for you. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, oasisorbust said:

As many have said I don’t like booking an adjoining cabin but often the only cabins available in the category or deck that I want. But I have been in your shoes where I’ve needed an adjoining cabin. I’ve traveled with my 3 children since they were very young and there’s only 3 1/2  years between the oldest and the youngest. So for many years we would have to have adjoining cabins with the doors open. 

Once they were old enough to be “unsupervised” we would get the inside directly across the hall from us. (I’m talking when they were teenagers and have been lucky enough to travel their whole lives and they know proper hotel/ cruise cabin etiquette- especially when it comes to noise). But one thing we did is get extra “keys” for the rooms. You can get them from the guest services desk. It’s a card that has no information on it and can’t be used for purchases, etc. but will open the cabin door. So we could “pop in” anytime we wanted and they could get us if they needed something without knocking. I don’t know the relationship between you and the other cabin but the extra keys might work for you. 

Almost all (if not all) cabins are adjoining.  I think you mean connecting.  Adjoining simply means next to each other.  Connecting means there is an interior door between the two cabins.

This thread surprised me since I've always been (super?) picky about choosing a cabin.  I never imagined that so many people let the cruise line or travel agent pick it.  That would just be a hard no for me, mostly because my husband is a very light sleeper.  I never bid on upgrades for the same reason.   I have always avoided connecting cabins unless we were traveling with our kids back in the day, in which case we really needed 3 cabins in a row with at least 2 connecting for our youngest kids so I can sympathize with the OP on that.  

• Thanks 1

Just thinking that this reminds me of times I would go into a fast food place with my children and find that some lone person had parked themselves at the only table large enough for our family.  They might have got there first but just a tad inconsiderate???  And we've all seen those folks who park  in the center of 2 parking spaces when they should only be taking one.  Is it really that hard to be nice?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Almost all (if not all) cabins are adjoining.  I think you mean connecting.  Adjoining simply means next to each other.  Connecting means there is an interior door between the two cabins.

Yes I meant connecting 

9 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

I'm not sure why you felt the need to correct @oasisorbust's terminology, but, you might want to be sure you are correct if you do so.  From Oxford, definition of adjoining:

image.png.c4df403407be38134ba072bc541a6b3c.png

And if we're going to dicker over what "joined" means:

image.png.f12e390141135025dcbfbcc6b2aa981e.png

There was nothing wrong with Oasisburst's use of adjoining.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

This thread surprised me since I've always been (super?) picky about choosing a cabin.  I never imagined that so many people let the cruise line or travel agent pick it.  That would just be a hard no for me, mostly because my husband is a very light sleeper.  I never bid on upgrades for the same reason.   I have always avoided connecting cabins unless we were traveling with our kids back in the day, in which case we really needed 3 cabins in a row with at least 2 connecting for our youngest kids so I can sympathize with the OP on that.  

Same for me, I'm a really light sleeper so always choose cabins very carefully! That's why I was gutted when I logged in and found NCL had totally changed our cabin to a connecting cabin that was also near the theatre.

I was lucky that I was able to upgrade for an extremely reasonable price, so lets hope this carefully chosen cabin doesn't get moved!

3 hours ago, PATRLR said:

I'm not sure why you felt the need to correct @oasisorbust's terminology, but, you might want to be sure you are correct if you do so.  From Oxford, definition of adjoining:

image.png.c4df403407be38134ba072bc541a6b3c.png

And if we're going to dicker over what "joined" means:

image.png.f12e390141135025dcbfbcc6b2aa981e.png

There was nothing wrong with Oasisburst's use of adjoining.

Other than it is wrong.  Adjoining means side by side whereas connecting means there is an interior door.  You posted the definition of "join" which is an entire different animal. 

image.thumb.png.fa2aa932bb7b23ceee7e14481bc903b9.png

10 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

Just thinking that this reminds me of times I would go into a fast food place with my children and find that some lone person had parked themselves at the only table large enough for our family.  They might have got there first but just a tad inconsiderate???  And we've all seen those folks who park  in the center of 2 parking spaces when they should only be taking one.  Is it really that hard to be nice?

You are ASS-U-ming that said person had a choice of tables at the tme he entered the facility.  at the time he entered

On 9/30/2022 at 11:05 PM, styxfire said:

Please someone, help me understand why people book up 1/2 of a connecting pair of cabins...  just ONE half.  

image.png.51a5b9707a9e051b1cf86b54af3321c6.png

I can surmise that they think "maybe nobody will book next to me".  But on cruises near the holidays, the ship is basically guaranteed to be full.  So by booking a connecting cabin when you don't need it, you're keeping families apart.  Honestly it just seems really mean & selfish.  And you'll end up with families running back & forth in front of your door to talk to each other.

Is there some OTHER reason people book only 1/2 of a connecting cabin?

I would gladly pay an upcharge to keep my family together, and that would keep the people who don't need a connecting cabin from reserving one, especially "alternating" cabins as shown above.

Has anyone ever successfully requested the passengers on the other side of your connecting door to switch with some of your family members, so you could be together?  I'm considering offering maybe $100.  I don't know what else to do.

sometimes there's no option. For instance, when we book any guarantee cabin, specially Balcony guarantee the cruise line decides to put us in a connecting room, don't know why, is just done. So far and knock on wood we have gotten good neighbors but is it our preference? absolutely not, but it goes with the territory of booking a guarantee.