Thoughts on when we might get access to our room?

JAH1969

Good afternoon.....

We will be joining our first cruise in a few weeks.

I was wondering if seasoned-cruisers could advise when we are likely to get into our room.  We are booked in QG and have a 12.15 boarding time.  Will the room be ready for us when we board or will we likely need to wait?

We are planning to take dinner suits / dresses in hanging carriers .... which I think we will carry onto the ship rather than put into the hands of the baggage people - so I wonder if we are likely to be able to drop these straight off into our room or whether we will need to carry these with us for sometime when we board?

Any and all views appreciated - it will help us in our thoughts about packing

Thanks

Jonathan

• Like 2

I've never heard of a case where a cabin hasn't been ready for boarding. I've boarded at the same time in the past, and have always had my cabin ready!

Edited by MylesS
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, JAH1969 said:

Good afternoon.....

I was wondering if seasoned-cruisers could advise when we are likely to get into our room.  We are booked in QG and have a 12.15 boarding time.  Will the room be ready for us when we board or will we likely need to wait?

We are planning to take dinner suits / dresses in hanging carriers .... which I think we will carry onto the ship rather than put into the hands of the baggage people - so I wonder if we are likely to be able to drop these straight off into our room or whether we will need to carry these with us for sometime when we board?

Thanks

Jonathan

The only time our cabin hasn't been ready is when early boarding [11.30am] , for some reason, was allowed. We waited in the Grill's lounge until it was released. Although the cabin wasn't officially ready, I dropped our carry on stuff in the cabin.

Although we had noon boarding, the ship wasn't released until 1pm on our August trip and we went straight to our cabin.

Edit

Our cruise card was issued at check in pre Covid. This August, it was in our communication 'fan' outside the cabin so whether that will have any influence on cabin availability, I don't know. These days, I imagine if the ship is released, the cabin will be ready.

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 2

Once you are called for embarkation then you proceed 'direct to your suite'.

Cunard, unlike some other cruise lines ( for example Silversea- Seabourn) do not announce boarding/embarkation and then direct their guests to a holding area once onboard. 

Just to clarify, you have 12.15 'check-in time' , the actual time for embarkation/boarding will be announced when the Captain/Hotel department are satisfied the ship is cleared to receive guests. Probably at 1pm.  

Edited by Bell Boy
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

The only time our cabin hasn't been ready is when early boarding [11.30am] , for some reason, was allowed. We waited in the Grill's lounge until it was released. Although the cabin wasn't officially ready, I dropped our carry on stuff in the cabin.

Although we had noon boarding, the ship wasn't released until 1pm on our August trip and we went straight to our cabin.

Edit

Our cruise card was issued at check in pre Covid. This August, it was in our communication 'fan' outside the cabin so whether that will have any influence on cabin availability, I don't know. These days, I imagine if the ship is released, the cabin will be ready.

This happened to me too in 2019 on QV - we boarded at 11.30 and the room was ready at 12.15ish.  We had some sushi in the Lido while we waited.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JAH1969 said:

Good afternoon.....

Thanks

Jonathan

We were on board in 23 minutes last Friday the 23rd with a 1215PM check in for Princess.

We went to our cabin, drop items off and proceeded to Princess Grill Restaurant for a delightfully lunch.

You do have to go thru document check, vaccination paperwork check, security/frame checkpoint and directed to Grill Line. Much smaller than Britannia and lower.

Once finished most done online we procedure directly to the ship and boarded.

23 minutes,  yes at 10 Deck Cabin Door.

• Like 2

Our last two QE cruises in the Grills departing Ocean Terminal had delayed boarding. Apparently the ship wasn't ready and boarding started at 13:00 for Grills passengers. Took about 10 mins to apss through security and into our cabin.

Edited by rakkor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rakkor said:

Our last two QE cruises in the Grills departing Ocean Terminal had delayed boarding. Apparently the ship wasn't ready and boarding started at 13:00 for Grills passengers. Took about 10 mins to apss through security and into our cabin.

Something similar happened to us last time, though we were on a little earlier.

Once, in pre-Covid days, they let lots of people on early, and told us to go and wait in the Lido or Grills Lounge. But we escaped from the lift on Deck 7, and lo and behold, our cabin was ready, and had been since about 11, according to our butler.

As mentioned in the past, we enter the BCT and was document check then to ArrivCanada/Vac check, Security (very through). Then mentioned to a Rep we were Grill and directly First Line Priority Grill. Verified Passport (saw Photo accepted online and Credit Cards). Directed to Grill Lounge but Direct to open door to ship..Boarded..The End!

2 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Security (very through)

Do you mean thorough? While not lax the security check in Brooklyn hasn't been what I'd note as "Very thorough." How did this time vary from previous embarkations?

Just curious in anticipation of November...