Help us start our honeymoon search!

mikahbeth

My fiancé and I are looking for a cruise for our honeymoon and I'd love some input. 

Back story...we both used to work on cruise ships as musicians (but we've never cruised as a guest). That's actually how we met. I was a singer and he was the bass player in the orchestra on a Regent ship. We've both worked on Regent, Oceania, NCL, and he did Celebrity before me. 

We're in our late 30s and like to have fun, stay out...but also don't really want to be around a bunch of kids for our honeymoon (even though we love them!). The big NCL ships were not the best for either of us. I don't love big crowds. We're both foodies. He wouldn't mind chilling on a beach but that's not my ideal...I'd rather go have adventures in cool places that we wouldn't get to see otherwise. I love travel. This is important: We're both willing to compromise on all points.

Budget is somewhat flexible, but we're trying to keep the cost down as much as we can. I want a room with a balcony. We're looking at May 2023, but again, we're flexible. 

Any thoughts on where to start our search would be AMAZING! Should we be looking at Holland America, Celebrity? Princess? Itinerary - thinking Alaska, Eastern Caribbean.....SO open to other ideas! Thank you all so much! 

Edited by mikahbeth

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  You do realize there is a forum here for Honeymoon and Wedding cruises?  That said,  it sounds like you are looking for a cruise that meets both of your tastes but not necessarily a big celebration.  I think you know enough about the premium lines to know where they go, and what they cost.  The smaller ships go to the less visited places.  I was thinking Windstar until you mentioned budget.  For less banquet type food, a smaller vessel might be the way to go.  Might you consider a river cruise?  Not just in Europe, but maybe the Mississippi or other American rivers.  
But maybe a suite on a ship that has some dedicated areas/restaurants could offer more luxury, or the Yacht Club on MSC, although those would not go to the less visited areas… EM

Edited by Essiesmom

Essiesmom, thank you! I did NOT realize that there was a Honeymoon forum! I will definitely take a look. I just gravitated here to the First Time Cruisers board because I felt pretty clueless.

Would love a smaller vessel for sure, if it works out. I will look into Windstar and the Yacht Club on MSC. We might consider a river cruise but I'd prefer to get out of the states.

We loved Oceania and Regent, but also would prefer something with a LITTLE more night life if possible...

Edited by mikahbeth
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mikahbeth said:

but also would prefer something with a LITTLE more night life if possible...

Sorry but HAL would not be a good fit. (And I am a HAL-bot.)

Here is the Honeymoon Board:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/18-honeymoon-amp-wedding-cruises/

What or where is your homeport, or if you would consider flying, what basic region do you want to visit?

Also double-up on the Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I would first start with deciding WHERE you want to go.  Once you've decided that, look at the lines and ships that go there and decide which line has a ship that appeals to you and visits ports you would have an interest in.

Side note from a recent personal experience on this - I'm planning a cruise for next March, decided where I wanted to go and booked a cabin for my usual line.  I then looked at a cruise for the same week on a line my parents like cruising and saw a nicer room type was almost the same price BUT it visited one less port and at least one of the other ports was different so I'm staying with my original plan.

9 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Sorry but HAL would not be a good fit. (And I am a HAL-bot.)

Here is the Honeymoon Board:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/18-honeymoon-amp-wedding-cruises/

What or where is your homeport, or if you would consider flying, what basic region do you want to visit?

Also double-up on the Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Thank you so much, crystalspin! 

Yeah, I think that's what we're trying to balance. We prioritize good food and a classy experience, and neither of us mind being around an older crowd at all, but we also like to enjoy a fun evening out! 

We're in Texas - but I think the ships from Galveston mainly go around the Caribbean, and Bill wouldn't mind that, but it's not really what I want. 

We wouldn't mind flying anywhere in the US (also open to flying elsewhere, but with budget in mind this would probably be best). That's one reason we were looking at Alaska...a roundtrip from Seattle would be pretty convenient and we could spend a few days there as well. I've never been to Seattle OR Alaska. 

Edited by mikahbeth

1 hour ago, hallux said:

I would first start with deciding WHERE you want to go.  Once you've decided that, look at the lines and ships that go there and decide which line has a ship that appeals to you and visits ports you would have an interest in.

Side note from a recent personal experience on this - I'm planning a cruise for next March, decided where I wanted to go and booked a cabin for my usual line.  I then looked at a cruise for the same week on a line my parents like cruising and saw a nicer room type was almost the same price BUT it visited one less port and at least one of the other ports was different so I'm staying with my original plan.

VERY helpful; thank you! The search feels overwhelming with so many variables. 

Edited by mikahbeth

A website you might want to become familiar with is cruisetimetables.com.  You can choose a destination and it will tell you who goes there and their itineraries.  Or you can search by departure port, or ship.  It’s a fascinating site to get lost in.  EM

• Like 1

Welcome to Cruise Critic and congratulations on your wedding.

From my view as a photographer, Alaska cruises in May are my favorite with lower prices for both cruises and airfare, amazing views, least rainy Month, lots of new creatures (eagles, seals, whales, etc) experiencing life, still a morning chill in the air, and snow on the higher peaks.  With early port times each day, most passengers are up early for breakfast and in bed early to recover from long days ashore, so amazing entertainment is not in great demand. 

You can be entertained anywhere but you can only experience the unspoiled scenery of Alaska a few months each year. 

Is a honeymoon better relaxing on a beach or on an adventure together?

1 hour ago, Crew News said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic and congratulations on your wedding.

From my view as a photographer, Alaska cruises in May are my favorite with lower prices for both cruises and airfare, amazing views, least rainy Month, lots of new creatures (eagles, seals, whales, etc) experiencing life, still a morning chill in the air, and snow on the higher peaks.  With early port times each day, most passengers are up early for breakfast and in bed early to recover from long days ashore, so amazing entertainment is not in great demand. 

You can be entertained anywhere but you can only experience the unspoiled scenery of Alaska a few months each year. 

Is a honeymoon better relaxing on a beach or on an adventure together?

You have 100% sold me on Alaska with this post. Sounds absolutely amazing. I'd much rather have an adventure; Bill would honestly love relaxing on a beach, but he has also mentioned Alaska in the past so I think I can talk him into it. 😁 Thanks so much for your input!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

A website you might want to become familiar with is cruisetimetables.com.  You can choose a destination and it will tell you who goes there and their itineraries.  Or you can search by departure port, or ship.  It’s a fascinating site to get lost in.  EM

Thank you! I will definitely dive into this!

2 hours ago, mikahbeth said:

You have 100% sold me on Alaska with this post. Sounds absolutely amazing. I'd much rather have an adventure; Bill would honestly love relaxing on a beach, but he has also mentioned Alaska in the past so I think I can talk him into it. 😁 Thanks so much for your input!

There is a 14-Day Holland America cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam to Alaska next May that happens only a few times each year and I will be aboard in pursuit of more amazing photographs.  I am happy to answer any questions to help in your planning if you decide on my recommendation. 

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/humpback-whales/juneau-2009-westerdam-alaska-148-2.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/eagles/P5050039.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/hubbard-glacier/P5202050.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/glacier-bay/p5222227.jpg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, mikahbeth said:

Thank you so much, crystalspin! 

Yeah, I think that's what we're trying to balance. We prioritize good food and a classy experience, and neither of us mind being around an older crowd at all, but we also like to enjoy a fun evening out! 

We're in Texas - but I think the ships from Galveston mainly go around the Caribbean, and Bill wouldn't mind that, but it's not really what I want. 

We wouldn't mind flying anywhere in the US (also open to flying elsewhere, but with budget in mind this would probably be best). That's one reason we were looking at Alaska...a roundtrip from Seattle would be pretty convenient and we could spend a few days there as well. I've never been to Seattle OR Alaska. 

If you are thinking May, Alaska might not be a good choice - too early.  I think Galveston cruises are largely  limited to western Caribbean -and not best selection of lines.   For May, you might consider a trans-Atlantic repositioning to Spain or Italy and flying back - giving you a combined cruise/Europe experience.

On 10/3/2022 at 9:24 PM, mikahbeth said:

I would take this cruise just to meet Roger Jett!

No joking: we took seven other members of our family on a 14-day HAL Alaskan cruise and it will forever stand as the crux of experience for all on board. You see SO MUCH more than the 3-port 7-day cruises.

May in Alaska -- you may miss some bays due to too much floating ice. But all cruises are subject to missing ports or scenic days. Better to risk it all than not experience any of it.

• Like 2

I would not worry much about what they might miss this trip.  They are young, late 30’s, so they have plenty of years/cruises ahead to come back to see what they missed.  It’s not like they are in their dotage and this is a bucket list item.  EM

• Like 2

The first cruise that popped into my head is NCL Pride of America. Guest capacity is around 2,200 - making it a smaller ship (somewhat). The interisland cruise is 7 days. It leaves from Honolulu, spends 2 days on Maui, 2 days on Hawaii, and 1-1/2 days on Kaua'i, then cruises along the Napali coast. You've got beaches plus adventures so you can satisfy both your needs. 

I also noticed that NCL Spirit does the Hawaii/French Polynesia/Tahiti cruises (11, 12 or 13 days). Guest capacity for the Spirit is around 2,000.

We went 10 years ago for our 25th anniversary and were pretty much the youngest guests on board (late 40s at the time), so no kids on board. In Maui, we rented a car and drove to Hana, hiked through a bamboo forest out to Waimoku Falls, then drove up to the summit to see the sunset. The next day we went to Lahaina and learned how to surf. In Hilo, we went on a volcano tour and saw the macadamia nut factory. In Kona, we snorkeled and went to Kona brewery. In Kaua'i, we went to a luau, did a zipline canopy tour, a helicopter tour, did some hiking at Waimea Canyon, and did some hiking on the Kalalau Trail (the 1st 2 miles in). We hardly had any beach time on this cruise.

Price-wise, this cruise tends to be a little more expensive than other Hawaiian cruises because it's a U.S. flagged ship. I remember reading that it meant they needed a certain percentage of American workers (50%?) and they want to be paid more than workers from other countries. The advantage of this cruise is there are no sea days. You get 6 days of ports (not including Honolulu). 

Let us know what you end up choosing!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone - just an update!

We've booked an 11-day Alaska cruise on the Sapphire Princess. We're going in early May - which we realize will most likely be very cold! But this is the only time that works for us and @Crew News made it sound so lovely we couldn't pass it up!!

Thanks so much for everyone's help!! 

4 minutes ago, mikahbeth said:

Hi everyone - just an update!

We've booked an 11-day Alaska cruise on the Sapphire Princess. We're going in early May - which we realize will most likely be very cold! But this is the only time that works for us and @Crew News made it sound so lovely we couldn't pass it up!!

Thanks so much for everyone's help!! 

May is not really cold and you will only find snow on the higher peaks.  Whale watching on a fast-moving boat will require some wind protection (gloves, long windproof jacket, poncho in a backpack, stocking cap, etc). 

I will be aboard HAL Nieuw Amsterdam for 14 days in May as well and rooting for amazing weather for both of us.

Cruising Alaska in May means that you can shop for warm clothing at the huge after-winter sales in March.

Enjoy your honeymoon and feel free to ask lots of questions on CC to help in your cruise planning.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Crew News said:

May is not really cold and you will only find snow on the higher peaks.  Whale watching on a fast-moving boat will require some wind protection (gloves, long windproof jacket, poncho in a backpack, stocking cap, etc). 

I will be aboard HAL Nieuw Amsterdam for 14 days in May as well and rooting for amazing weather for both of us.

Cruising Alaska in May means that you can shop for warm clothing at the huge after-winter sales in March.

Enjoy your honeymoon and feel free to ask lots of questions on CC to help in your cruise planning.

Thank you, thank you! I really appreciate the tips. I just tagged you in another post so feel free to ignore that one unless you have anything additional to add. Yes, fingers crossed for great weather for both of us!