Sunscreen question

1 minute ago, Rubyfisch said:

I have some. It's good for certain things, like areas you want extra coverage, but I'm not sure it fully replaces other products, as it doesn't really spread beyond where you roll it.

Okay, this sounds good.  I like to "slather down well" in the cabin before I get dressed.  I was thinking of this as a touch-up product for my face and upper chest -- that's my personal problem spot.  

Thanks. 

I have one that I use on my nose.  They're really meant for small areas, like tops of ears, noses, maybe tops of your feet and toes.  We use spray on and do it on the balcony before leaving the ship.  That gives it time to dry before we get ashore.

I'm convinced.  I'm going to buy one for touch-ups on island days. 

My husband didn't like the spray I brought on our last cruise -- and he's right to complain that spray is kinda wasteful in that so much of it doesn't hit the body /potentially does hit other people.  

THANKS, ALL! 

Edited by Mum2Mercury

7 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

My husband didn't like the spray I brought on our last cruise -- and he's right to complain that spray is kinda wasteful in that so much of it doesn't hit the body /potentially does hit other people.  

THANKS, ALL! 

It's why we spray it on our balcony and when we need to reapply we move away from people.  We're very aware of our surroundings.  It doesn't waste anything unless you spray it from really far away.  We've been using spray for years.

50 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

THANKS, ALL! 

It also sprays on others when folks do it by the pool.  Pretty annoying.  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, BND said:

It's why we spray it on our balcony and when we need to reapply we move away from people.  We're very aware of our surroundings.  It doesn't waste anything unless you spray it from really far away.  We've been using spray for years.

The sprays are good at removing the graphics from key cards etc.   In that spirit, you may want to read up on the stuff in those.  A lot of articles suggest that stuff is not particularly good for you and may be quite toxic.  The convenience is nice, but I refuse to use it now. 

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Has anyone ever bought one of those small sunscreens that's shaped like a deodorant?  

I'm wondering if such a sunscreen would be useful for shore excursions because they're so small and portable.  

If you have sensitive skin, be careful what you use.  My wife has one, and I broke out on my face when I tried it.  And it was Neutragena brand which is supposed to be good stuff.  It’s also hard to get full coverage without using your fingers around creases like nose and ears.  So your hands still get a little greasy if you want it to be effective.   

4 minutes ago, SRF said:

I have switched to all reef safe sunscreen

Yet another angle to consider.   I may have to check that out.  Any brand you recommend and how does it compare to regular types of sunscreen?   Sensitive on skin?   Smell?   Greasy?   Just curious.  

I am using this one:

https://stream2sea.com/

We did an all inclusive in Mexico a couple of years ago and they stated they only allowed ones with certain characteristics and that this one was OK.  They SAID they would check and take any ones not allowed.

I got a large bottle, so we are still using it, and it works well.

• Like 2

Just ordered zinc oxide sticks for our ABC cruise.  Seems to be the only actual reef friendly sunscreen.  Every other type has one of the reef damaging “O” ingredients in it.  We’ll be snorkeling in Bonaire so I felt it was important to have the right product.

Edited by poocher

4 hours ago, SRF said:

I am using this one:

https://stream2sea.com/

We did an all inclusive in Mexico a couple of years ago and they stated they only allowed ones with certain characteristics and that this one was OK.  They SAID they would check and take any ones not allowed.

I got a large bottle, so we are still using it, and it works well.

Did they "check"?

6 hours ago, topnole said:

The sprays are good at removing the graphics from key cards etc.   In that spirit, you may want to read up on the stuff in those.  A lot of articles suggest that stuff is not particularly good for you and may be quite toxic.  The convenience is nice, but I refuse to use it now. 

Well, that does sound pretty toxic -- didn't know.  

6 hours ago, topnole said:

If you have sensitive skin, be careful what you use.  My wife has one, and I broke out on my face when I tried it.  And it was Neutragena brand which is supposed to be good stuff.  It’s also hard to get full coverage without using your fingers around creases like nose and ears.  So your hands still get a little greasy if you want it to be effective.   

Hmmm, I don't have particularly sensitive skin, but I guess it'd be smart to try it at home.

4 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait4NextYear said:

Did they "check"?

Not to sound like a jerk, but I was going to ask the same thing -- how fussy are they?  I'm thinking I already have a tube of excellent chapstick (unsure of the brand) in my pool bag.  Would they look at that?  

1 minute ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Well, that does sound pretty toxic -- didn't know.  

Hmmm, I don't have particularly sensitive skin, but I guess it'd be smart to try it at home.

Not to sound like a jerk, but I was going to ask the same thing -- how fussy are they?  I'm thinking I already have a tube of excellent chapstick (unsure of the brand) in my pool bag.  Would they look at that?  

I don't think it's being a jerk. If someone is going into my bag, I want to know first. Also, if they take something from me I want to know I'm getting it back when I leave. 

41 minutes ago, poocher said:

The point is to protect the eco system not “if nobody looks, I can get away with it”

Two points: 

- I intend to get the reef-proof sunscreen for Chankanaab -- I have to buy some anyway.  I'm only interested in whether I can "get away with" the chapstick I already have in my pool bag.  I"m not sure how much damage a chapstick could do.

- We don't know whether any particular person intends to snorkel /swim in the ocean.  If you're planning to stay on land, doesn't matter whether your sunscreen is reef-friendly.

39 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Two points: 

- I intend to get the reef-proof sunscreen for Chankanaab -- I have to buy some anyway.  I'm only interested in whether I can "get away with" the chapstick I already have in my pool bag.  I"m not sure how much damage a chapstick could do.

- We don't know whether any particular person intends to snorkel /swim in the ocean.  If you're planning to stay on land, doesn't matter whether your sunscreen is reef-friendly.

Does chapstick contain one of the restricted ingredients?  

Check the label! Make sure your sunscreen does not contain the following harmful substances on the "HEL list:

Oxybenzone

Octinoxate

Octocrylene

Homosalate

4-methylbenzylidene camphor

PABA

Parabens

Triclosan

Any nanoparticles or “nano-sized” zinc or titanium (if it doesn’t explicitly say “micro-sized” or “non-nano” and it can rub in, it’s probably nano-sized)

Any form of microplastic, such as “exfoliating beads”

Edited by poocher

13 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Has anyone ever bought one of those small sunscreens that's shaped like a deodorant?  

I use this type all the time on my tattoos.  I want to make sure I am positive I have good coverage on those areas before heading out for the day.