canada cruise end of may

redwave

Can someone help me find a few old trip review links (live or post) for end of May cruises to Canada out of the North East?

In addition to spring time info on Canada ports,

Trying to get an idea from past sailings if any of the outdoor activities were limited due to weather.

Thanks.

Very dependent of the current time you cruise is, outside temps will vary. Water temps will not, still be very cold going in the ocean without a wet suit.

Outdoor activities will go on , again dependent of the current conditions  you are sailing.

Usually Canada sailings out of the Northeast go in the fall to see the leaves change. Only May sailings start going to Bermuda and farther south, not as much going north at that time of the year.

Edited by Jimbo

We went out of Cape Liberty at the end of May this year. Embarkation day was hot and sunny, our son spent the afternoon in Splashaway Bay. The rest of the days, the weather was very comfortable outside, but not really warm enough to swim. Great hot tub weather, though. Weather in Halifax was great for being outdoors, in the low 70s. 

18 minutes ago, xtremegk said:

We went out of Cape Liberty at the end of May this year. Embarkation day was hot and sunny, our son spent the afternoon in Splashaway Bay. The rest of the days, the weather was very comfortable outside, but not really warm enough to swim. Great hot tub weather, though. Weather in Halifax was great for being outdoors, in the low 70s. 

was too cold for ppl to sue the water slides? were they closed? ty

4 minutes ago, redwave said:

was too cold for ppl to sue the water slides? were they closed? ty

It would be way too cold on the Jersey Shore in May for any outdoor water activities so I’d assume it definitely would be that much further north in Canada. I think 70’s in Halifax in May was an anomaly. I’d plan to have an average temperature of 55 for that time of year and route.

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

Water venues (except hot tubs and some pools) usually close when ambient temp goes below 50F (10C).

Slides and flowrider were open on the Voyager TA in Iceland and Greenland.  Slides were dead, but flowrider was busy.

Leaving Prins Christians Sund.

NeyVQZKL1cP8XjcnOC9bZ5deIDND_6pQIQfaGYhUkqnE7hl7VFhYhecYn6Xsyp97uqOyM4GeQ6LhIsgW3wCAHZmD5Ve4IEKBD5R7H_S1gEhh08LHAYQ0VqA6COWksIKEe1I0vt8XvrwXKn2fc1tWEWWra40vsy-lyC-1CoPI2GGjJFflHtjr82oZtvxyrtPB-IG4rvLyv6dQpDT2iX1GC38q1xKdFtTk_I_OEnT-zUzDA0AwdSuVLqbYMzkY15U_rlnDw80O1ecTciSaucNsQ129JD0x-VjNwpFA0VWS1x2pNPAGDySsojnNZu_RtcicheHMuvf2C_lD9iuiXTE-oUPebZmu8Ckj3t056ocUT-2oKiOcAdV_wG6ptk3IBq8sB9tnYGPBEhqSqMdZ6vxJCsOLwWeS7bp0OyDFq-NY2Tl4IXx8s2_9X8MxPdEvfjjoCF4Jv8OAWwrgWnlb3-WDFnmExKes5lh4b6V4ewV9foiAf-jHZS_iy7g8ii2wJjQnKphMa_I4kJVnjwzD07IktdaYa1p3kF3VYsbhDxJvHN05EUgp0mk5b7hoUPTc9Auk3U5LS8Q75nisHDxOjnsLGfUafcOnOtw_sVmHZctRcCjW131CADMV9Haxf3YdQhDiFmnIKPf79Qjd7g79Ne5NxTheScuNV0XBxAGYUjLMlq1Rs0Xv249srbsEKF8bCd_b1QgiNC5XNhvQ6lXjXl6GtrKcf-qUPSuwAVMn3I6AFPq6IQruyT8zZmryKrjbo2Oaf54dwUJ2scqqnd3_Xq-2uz6SQOdeMGFzgI4yAPT_EPtqFFJyH25s9uFrrNeODEUO3GpRwHIKVARm1Yu-2JOamYHkMAt3V5mr7MWbAvON5lTgCpIcUjyEkNul1Yq2z-5o5gpscD9nokakdDZgxW5ZdKIouV8-elS_E-yeS8Y=w876-h657-no?authuser=0

• Thanks 1

redwave, How far does the cruise go?  Several years ago we did a repositioning cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Montreal; I believe it was in May.  When we got to Boston it was chilly, and Halifax was chilly and blustery that day.  Beyond that, it was cold.  In Sydney, many of us went to a nearby thrift store to buy additional sweaters.  In Quebec there was snow on the ground, although many of the school kids out and about were wearing shorts and hoodies.  I wore a down jacket most of those days, and felt the cold.

We had many lunches in the solarium-type space.  I recall seeing a man in a robe topped with a down vest.  The outdoor hot tubs were bubbling away, but I never saw anyone in them.  

nova scotia. i understand if its stormy weather no one would use the slides but if its 60s and sunny why would ppl not use the slides?

im trying to get an indication from old posts, last week may first week june, to see what percentage of time the weather would be bad enough to not make the water slides feasible, not just first and last day but entire cruise.

need some help finding pre covid reviews for this itinerary and last week may first week june etc

ty

5 minutes ago, mets123 said:

We were on a five day Oasis to Canada June 6 - 10. Most of the Aqua 80 shows were cancelled due to cold weather.

what temp or higher does the weather need to be for the aqua shows to be performed?

1 hour ago, redwave said:

im trying to get an indication from old posts, last week may first week june, to see what percentage of time the weather would be bad enough to not make the water slides feasible, not just first and last day but entire cruise.

You can't go by what anyone reports. The best you can do is go to any weather website and look up the normal/averages for that day in that location - that's a better indication of what you might expect. And you could have things like high winds close the whole upper deck, regardless of temp.

1 hour ago, redwave said:

what temp or higher does the weather need to be for the aqua shows to be performed?

With all the high diving and high wire acts, safety comes into play. Many variables come into play. And last month it was shut down for a few weeks.

2 hours ago, redwave said:

nova scotia. i understand if its stormy weather no one would use the slides but if its 60s and sunny why would ppl not use the slides?

need some help finding pre covid reviews for this itinerary and last week may first week june etc

ty

There is a East Coast Canada/New England Forum on CC in Ports of Call that might have some useful information.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/9-canadanew-england/

Al least you are venturing north only to Nova Scotia. Newfoundland can be very frigid in late May. Too cold for swimming but a great time to see the icebergs!

Edited by DirtyDawg