Starlink on Beyond, a disappointment.

Dk-cruiser

1 hour ago, canderson said:

The ISS averages ~400km altitude.  The Starlink constellation is ~550km altitude.  Unclear where the potential exists for direct conflict there. NASA and Starlink also have an agreement to reposition Starlink satellites that pose any threat to other NASA assets.

The astronomers have a better cause for complaint, though the top asteroid hunters know how to separate out the fields in their image analysis.

Go back about 4 to 5 months issues with Starlink Satellites forced the Chinese space station to shift position. The ISS went into protective mode due to near miss between one of the Starlink satellites and another satellite, until it was clear that a collision did not occur.

Also launch problem resulted in an entire launch getting  placed too low. 

Also conflicts between Chinese and Starlink satellites resulting in a number of protests between governments

Add lauches delayed for a period of time due to launches of Starlinks Satellites exceeding authorized numbers a year or so back

Point is that are problems already occurring with 2000 let alone issues that might occur at 30000.

Edited by ldtr

23 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Go back about 4 to 5 months issues with Starlink Satellites forced the Chinese space station to shift position. The ISS went into protective mode due to near miss between one of the Starlink satellites and another satellite, until it was clear that a collision did not occur.

Also launch problem resulted in an entire launch getting  placed too low. 

Also conflicts between Chinese and Starlink satellites resulting in a number of protests between governments

Add lauches delayed for a period of time due to launches of Starlinks Satellites exceeding authorized numbers a year or so back

Point is that are problems already occurring with 2000 let alone issues that might occur at 30000.

You're shooting from the hip for some reason.

1)  A "shift position" is called Debris Avoidance Maneuvers (or DAMs) which are not uncommon as space is a violent place and unexpected space debris can appear at any time.

2) The Chinese Space Station or CSS is a different space station than the ISS

3) The U.S. Space Force’s 18th Space Control Squadron found no evidence of a close approach by either Starlink satellite to China’s space station that met “the threshold of established emergency collision criteria,” thus “emergency notifications were not warranted in either case.” Had such approaches met those criteria, “the United States would have provided a close approach notification directly to the designated Chinese point of contact.”

• Like 3

We were on the Beyond - Barcelona to Barcelona - Sept 15 - 24th and I cannot tell you how impressed I was with the Stalink internet on board.  I have never experienced such a fast connection on a ship and I'm surprised anyone didn't find the same.  There were a couple of times when we on sea days and in the middle of the Med when it was a bit slower but the difference was barely noticeable.  My voip phone apps and video calls were superb.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

You're shooting from the hip for some reason.

1)  A "shift position" is called Debris Avoidance Maneuvers (or DAMs) which are not uncommon as space is a violent place and unexpected space debris can appear at any time.

2) The Chinese Space Station or CSS is a different space station than the ISS

3) The U.S. Space Force’s 18th Space Control Squadron found no evidence of a close approach by either Starlink satellite to China’s space station that met “the threshold of established emergency collision criteria,” thus “emergency notifications were not warranted in either case.” Had such approaches met those criteria, “the United States would have provided a close approach notification directly to the designated Chinese point of contact.”

Bless you for sparing me the brain damage of typing that on my phone! 😁

• Like 1

I just FaceTimed with someone on Beyond. It was a little after 11pm local time so maybe not as much traffic but it worked perfectly fine. They are only on day 2 of the cruise but said it's been really fast. People I talked to earlier in the month said the same. I kind of wonder if the OP didn't actually have Premium Wifi? 

• Thanks 1

On 10/3/2022 at 2:44 PM, sgadk87 said:

Hi.

I've just returned from Beyond's sailing from Barcelona to Rome, and had high hopes for the new Starlink Internet. I have seen speedtest that shows over 100 Mbit/s posted on this forum.

Unfortunately the internet didn't felt much better than before. The speed maxed out around 2-3 Mbit/s, so my thought is that celebrity is limit the speed a lot. I talked with one of the officers, that told the speed was excellent the first week, but now slow as before. He mentioned that the first week even gaming was possible.

I had to do some Facetime calls (without video), but have to give up. The upload was suffering a lot, so every 30-45 second, the other person wasn't able to hear me.

This is quite a bummer for me. I know people have different expectations, but if you have to use it to work, it has to be stable. One thing i noted was the latency was improved, and around 50ms.

I'm wondering if Starlink is okay with this user experience, if Celebrity limit the speed so much? 

It’s a vacation people. Use your phone to take pictures unplug from reality for a few weeks.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bdstickks0944 said:

It’s a vacation people. Use your phone to take pictures unplug from reality for a few weeks.

If the circumstances of your life make that possible, congratulations to you and others in that situation. 

For the rest of us, at least some connectivity is necessary, for a variety of reasons that may or may not be anyone else's business. 

• Like 4

On 10/3/2022 at 6:29 PM, canderson said:

He's promised about 12X the number of birds currently in the constellation, and being in low Earth orbit, each covers a fairly small geographic area.  DOES take a while to deliver on 30,000 of them.  Launching 30,000 of anything into low earth orbit isn't a trivial exercise, and they're on schedule.  About 2,500 of them as of last week.  Until there are enough to provide contiguous geographic coverage, good service can't be available at all times/places.

And let's not forget how much he's helping out the Ukranians with Starling.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bdstickks0944 said:

I agree with "it's a vacation people", but me thinks that one or more "people" may be teleworking on a cruise ship 🙂

• Like 1

There was a time (15-20 years ago) when questions posted on this forum about getting connected onboard (how to do it, pricing) was met with few useful answers but a lot of editorial.   Thankfully that has changed.

30 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

If the circumstances of your life make that possible, congratulations to you and others in that situation. 

For the rest of us, at least some connectivity is necessary, for a variety of reasons that may or may not be anyone else's business. 

exactly.  will never understand why these folks love to post on these threads.  Those of us who have jobs where we can't disconnect appreciate this info about the internet.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, bdstickks0944 said:

You might not realize this, but everyone doesn't vacation the same as you do.  Some may actually find an internet connection enhances their experience.  Or they may have people and things back home they need to stay connected to.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

exactly.  will never understand why these folks love to post on these threads.  Those of us who have jobs where we can't disconnect appreciate this info about the internet.  

They think they are posting something profound when all they are doing is being ignorant. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 3

I’d like to know what speeds to expect if you are on the basic package, no streaming.  Not so much an issue as I expect to do just email and light browsing.  Is Facebook allowed on basic?  I think basic means no photo uploads?  And is Cruise Critic available?

56 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I’d like to know what speeds to expect if you are on the basic package, no streaming.  Not so much an issue as I expect to do just email and light browsing.  Is Facebook allowed on basic?  I think basic means no photo uploads?  And is Cruise Critic available?

I recall post previously where individuals stated they were unable to access Cruise Critic with the basic internet.  I've never had basic, always premium, so I cannot say from personal experience.  

I believe I have also read that web browsing is very slow on basic but maybe someone with direct experience can comment. 

2 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I recall post previously where individuals stated they were unable to access Cruise Critic with the basic internet.  I've never had basic, always premium, so I cannot say from personal experience.  

I believe I have also read that web browsing is very slow on basic but maybe someone with direct experience can comment. 

i was able to accèss Cruise Critic and even make Facetime calls with the basic but my reading of more recent reports is that they are seem to be blocking or trying to block everything but email and texting and force passengers to have the costlier package if they want to do more. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

They think they are posting something profound when all they are doing is being ignorant. 

Actually, they provide a good example of irony...connecting to criticize people for not disconnecting.

Now, if someone could just find a simple way of illustrating the differences between/among sardonic, sarcastic, and facetious comments.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Actually, they provide a good example of irony...connecting to criticize people for not disconnecting.

Now, if someone could just find a simple way of illustrating the differences between/among sardonic, sarcastic, and facetious comments.

That would be like the argument that the irony in Alanis Morissette's "Ironic" is that none of the events are actually ironic...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

i was able to accèss Cruise Critic and even make Facetime calls with the basic but my reading of more recent reports is that they are seem to be blocking or trying to block everything but email and texting and force passengers to have the costlier package if they want to do more. 

Currently on Beyond, DH has premium while I'm content with basic. The basic has a reasonable speed and I can email, read news and also read CC. However, I cannot seem to post on CC with basic, nor can I for instance zoom in on Google maps  (in port right now writing this post, I'm getting internet through my phone as we're EU-residents and internet doesn't cost extra for me).

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, prmssk said:

You might not realize this, but everyone doesn't vacation the same as you do.  Some may actually find an internet connection enhances their experience.  Or they may have people and things back home they need to stay connected to.

Whatever.  It’s called vacation.  Disconnect 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jean87510 said:

If you are on vacation, why is it so important to do your job?  That’s why it’s called vacation. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bdstickks0944 said:

Whatever.  It’s called vacation.  Disconnect 

Lol, this comment literally adds zero value to the conversation.  Not everyone is retired, in fact we have to work to hopefully one day retire with a nice nest egg.  Here's the best way to describe it, if I'm able to be connected and can work a little, I can take more cruises.  Otherwise I need to exhaust all my vacation days and when I eventually re-connect, I often spend 4-10x the amount of time replying to emails as I try to determine what needs to be done and what has already been done.  I have no problem with people living their best life whether that's disconnecting or be connected; ultimately I want my fellow passengers to be the happiest they can be.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1