NCL prices are ridiculous!

Encore37

I booked a balcony on the brand new MSC Seascape for half the price of an interior on NCL Encore!  I love NCL but there's no way I'm paying double for an interior cabin over a balcony.  And this wasn't just one particular week, it's pretty much every week until the end of the year.  I have a hard time believing they're going to fill their ships anytime soon with the crazy pricing.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Encore37 said:

I booked a balcony on the brand new MSC Seascape for half the price of an interior on NCL Encore!  I love NCL but there's no way I'm paying double for an interior cabin over a balcony.  And this wasn't just one particular week, it's pretty much every week until the end of the year.  I have a hard time believing they're going to fill their ships anytime soon with the crazy pricing.

What weeks are you looking at and which itinerary.  I've been looking at MSC cruises for the last 2-3 months.  Fares are pretty comparable to NCL (until I found a huge deal with NCL for a Canada cruise later this month).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

What weeks are you looking at and which itinerary.  I've been looking at MSC cruises for the last 2-3 months.  Fares are pretty comparable to NCL (until I found a huge deal with NCL for a Canada cruise later this month).

Sorry, I should have mentioned I'm solo but in the past I've gotten much better solo deals on NCL.  I'd understand if the sailings were full but they're not close to capacity on pretty much every sailing.

I'm booked for December 11th but the prices are similar for pretty much any week in Nov/Dec.  NCL can't touch MSC any week this year.

Edited by Encore37
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Encore37 said:

I booked a balcony on the brand new MSC Seascape for half the price of an interior on NCL Encore!

Which experience (Bella, Fantastica, Aurea, Yacht Club) did you book with MSC? Many NCL cruisers might not be familiar with MSC's experience structure.

With NCL, dining options are pretty much the same for everyone other than Haven. With MSC, when, where, and with whom you have dinner with can change based on experience level.

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Which experience (Bella, Fantastica, Aurea, Yacht Club) did you book with MSC? Many NCL cruisers might not be familiar with MSC's experience structure.

With NCL, dining options are pretty much the same for everyone other than Haven. With MSC, when, where, and with whom you have dinner with can change based on experience level.

Fantastica with drink package included.   NCL was offering nothing more than one specialty restaurant extra but MSC I get the wifi package.  

My last three times at msc and my booking for next year all at the Yachtclub in a inside/balcony  were cheaper then the solo studio at my last prima cruise :-)))

( ships Seaside and seaview are great and booked seashore for next year )

but food and shows in the theater are much better at ncl. Staff and live music on board is msc the same in my experiences. But love the covered pool at the ships. And Yachtclub service is great.

Edited by Steff79
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Steff79 said:

but food and shows in the theater are much better at ncl. Staff and live music on board is msc the same in my experiences. But love the covered pool at the ships. And Yachtclub service is great.

I almost pulled the trigger on an MSC yacht club cabin for my next cruise, but couldn't do it because the food and entertainment, from many reviews, seems a bit disappointing. I'm sure I'll try it for the value, but I'm looking forward to the food and entertainment on NCL  Also, taking a first timer so at least I know what to expect.😊

• Like 1

So….goes to show, you can find different pricing on different cruise lines on different ships if you look….this us my solo booking on the NCL Breakaway embarking 10/30 in a CLUB Balcony Suite!.

PASSENGER CHARGES
Description 1
Cruise Fare $ 590.50
Beverage Package Service Fee  $ 138.60
Dining Package Service Fee  $ 17.80
Future Credit Certificate  $ -419.90
Tax / Fees $ 226.00
PASSENGER TOTAL  $ 553.00

This includes drinks..  Even without the FCC, it’s under $1,000.  But, I also get 5 Specialty Dinners, $50 per excursion credit, some internet, free laundry, and a bunch of OBC.

• Like 3

I just asked an NCL cruise consultant to send me a price breakdown for a balcony cabin for the Gem in March for an 11-day cruise.  This is for a solo traveler and the price includes 5 different discounts.  I will NOT be booking at this price!  I could book an Oceanview then use my Diamond upgrade to a balcony cabin though.  I can see prices being high for the nicer, newer ships but the Jewel class ships don’t have a lot to offer and Caribbean port fees are cheap so these prices seem ridiculously high to me.

4B85B43E-8039-49C1-8CC3-965EB26755B6.jpeg

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

I just asked an NCL cruise consultant to send me a price breakdown for a balcony cabin for the Gem in March for an 11-day cruise.  This is for a solo traveler and the price includes 5 different discounts.  I will NOT be booking at this price!  I could book an Oceanview then use my Diamond upgrade to a balcony cabin though.  I can see prices being high for the nicer, newer ships but the Jewel class ships don’t have a lot to offer and Caribbean port fees are cheap so these prices seem ridiculously high to me.

4B85B43E-8039-49C1-8CC3-965EB26755B6.jpeg

Yeah….that’s pretty crazy!  That’s a Haven fare. My guess is it’s Spring Break?  Dunno!  It pays to book NCL cruises last Minute (less than 60 days to sailing) usually!

Edited by graphicguy

Ever since NCL started their "free" packages, their prices have been really high. We are sapphire on NCL and have more cruises with them than any other line. My daughter is 11 and has been on 13 cruises - the first 5 were NCL because they were such a good value. Then came free and it went crazy. We are going out of Tampa next spring break and going on NCL because they are the only ones sailing on Sunday out of Tampa. 

As for MSC, that is the only line we've been on that I wouldn't do again. It's very, very tempting because they are so cheap, but then I remember it was the only cruise I couldn't wait to get off of. If you are in the Yacht Club, then it's not a fair comparison because that is likely awesome. I didn't like traditional dining as the only option other than the buffet (maybe that has changed in the past 5 years), their service was not great, kids' club was not anything like other lines, the crowds were overbearing, and it took upwards of an hour to get off the ship with a tour and then the same to get back on the ship. I can't say the food was bad...I'm not a foodie. The ships are amazingly beautiful. All of this was pre-covid, so this may have changed, but out of our 39 cruises so far, MSC had the most outstanding shows I've ever been to and they were every night. So, at least in our experience, the entertainment was the best part of the cruise. Still, all in all, I will not be sailing them again anytime soon.

We have done 5 cruises since cruising reopened without having to fly anywhere from the NY/NJ/Baltimore area.  We do have one coming up which has flying one way back from Ft. Lauderdale and with all the horror stories I read about flying and cancellations, I'm a little nervous. 

That is why when I heard that the MSC Miraviglia will be cruising from NY next year I booked an 11 day western Caribbean balcony Fantastica 1 experience on her.  You can only go to Eastern, Southern, Bahamas and Canada just so many times.  The price I paid was less than an inside on any 11 night NCL ship.  I was able to get a late dinner and told that you can get a table for two each night if you ask.  If I don't like it I will just chalk it up to been there/done that.

• Like 3

I have been comparing cruises on MSC with NCL constantly, because they are sailing out of NY. I've yet to find a good deal. I only look at Yacht Club fares which all seem great, until you click through the screen to see that the base fare is for an interior Yacht Club room. That just isn't my style of cruising. I need a balcony. The rooms that are comparable to the Haven on NCL just don't seem that appealing (in price) once I go through that process. It doesn't help MSC that I love the Haven experience and don't want to blow $10k on an experience I'm unsure of.

Those MSC prices I'm seeing are pretty fantastic for Dec. 11th. I don't know that it's that NCL is crazy high, it's that the MSC prices are crazy cheap! If I was booking right now for Dec, I'd definitely be looking at MSC!

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I have been comparing cruises on MSC with NCL constantly, because they are sailing out of NY. I've yet to find a good deal. I only look at Yacht Club fares which all seem great, until you click through the screen to see that the base fare is for an interior Yacht Club room. That just isn't my style of cruising. I need a balcony. The rooms that are comparable to the Haven on NCL just don't seem that appealing (in price) once I go through that process. It doesn't help MSC that I love the Haven experience and don't want to blow $10k on an experience I'm unsure of.

I do, too.  

This was pre-covid, but I was able to take my sisters, nephews and son on a 12 day Mediterranean Cruise, 2 cabins in the Yacht Club for less than $10K.  When MSC first started sailing out of FL, I took another one of their cruises in the YC for ~$2,500.  But, they were just trying to get a toe hold into the North American market back then, and were only sailing one ship here.

Beautiful ships.  Entertainment was....ummm...different.  Service wasn't bad, just different from the Haven.  MSC YC personnel, while cordial, were always "by request".  They were happy to do anything.  You just had to be more proactive in seeking their service.

Now, their pricing has gone up.  As such, I haven't sailed them in a while.

I think I'm Diamond via status match with NCL. But, they informed me that unless I book and sail with them by the end of 2022 (doubtful), I will forego my status with them.

Not sure I'd want to sail them if I weren't in the Yacht Club.  Talking to others who haven't sailed the YC on MSC, it's a hit and miss affair in the other categories.

Edited by graphicguy

45 minutes ago, z4oslo said:

If I was REALLY into listening to announcements in 6 different languages for hours I would sail with MSC every cruise.

Sadly i'm really not into that .. at all.

I've heard they only do the safety announcements in multiple languages on cruises departing from the United States now.  All other announcements are in English.

So, I'll be the MSC cheerleader here.

I'm not a  YC person, nor am I a Haven person.  I'm not a MDR person or a specialty person (we skip the platinum meals on NCL and go to the buffet),

I have a sailing in April on MSC out of NY...balcony at a ridiculously low price and $200 OBC.  I've had this cabin before...one of the angled balcony cabins.

MSC ships are beautiful...the atrium has swarovski crystal stairs.  The ships are kept shiny clean...staff always cleaning mirrors etc.  In general, the staff does their jobs without pretending to be your best friend.

The entertainment..far above American lines.  They don't bother with comedy stuff...because of the languages.  Dancing and singing....and lots of music around the ship.  On one sailing there was a (well known in Italy) opera singer...and I discovered that I liked opera.

The food...nothing compares to the NCL buffet!  On MSC...nothing compares to their pizza.  Otherwise...not a fan of their buffet (had one meal in MDR...nothing to write home about).  If hamburgers are your thing, forget MSC.  

Your fellow passengers will be European/South American.  They take more pride in their appearance than Americans.  It's not that the atmosphere is formal....just more like looking at a fashion magazine.

However....one really bad, and I mean very bad, aspect is customer service.  I had to cancel and rebook 3 times now when there were price reductions.  You call customer service...and the reps have no idea, or never heardIY of "lowering the price".  There were 4 reductions and only once was a rep able to amend my reservation without "the cancel and rebook" scenario.  And the refunds for the cancellations can take a while.

Otherwise....I'm one happy sailor girl that MSC came back to NY!

Edited by MsTabbyKats
  • Thanks 2

I wonder if the announcements in multiple languages will come back. Post covid has put a big damper on people coming from other countries to sail from the US. Now that they don't have the testing requirements to fly, or even sail for that matter, I'm expecting foreign bookings to increase. I didn't like all of the languages in the announcements but it was bigger than that. So much of the ship doesn't speak English that it's hard to interact with other people. Our daughter is an only child and loves going to the kid's club and making friends with other kids at the pool and during excursions. Try as she might, she found ONE other kid on the ship that spoke English. 

Not sure if this is still the deal, but when they first started sailing in the US, all kids 12 and under were free. Thus, the ship was packed with kids. I was sailing with one, so I"m not anti-kid, but it was the loudest, least relaxing cruise I've ever been on. I was in the indoor pool and it was so loud I couldn't hear the person sitting next to me. We went to the outside pool and they were having Zumba class in the open area, which is awesome if you're in the class but not so much if you're in a lounge chair.

I do price them every once in a while because their ships are beautiful, but when we get above Bella level, it's not as cheap and then I remember waiting an hour to get back on the ship at every port and I move on to a different line. Never say never, but I would have to see so many reviews that refute my previous experiences to even consider MSC again.

On 10/4/2022 at 5:01 PM, Encore37 said:

Just read an article that MSC is slashing prices because they are trying to fill their ships NCL isn't