New Ship Safety Bulletin SSB No.: 22/2022

Fouremco

Transport Canada published Guidance for cruise operators to mitigate risks associated with COVID-19 - SSB No.: 22/2022 on 2022-09-30. The bulletin "outlines recommended measures for Authorized Representatives of cruise ships operating in Canadian waters, and persons on board those vessels," effectively changing previously required action on the part of cruise ship to recommended action. So, for example, whereas there existed a previous requirement for those 12 or older to be vaccinated, the bulletin now states that "Authorized Representatives are strongly encouraged to verify that all persons 12 years of age and older are fully vaccinated before boarding the vessel (i.e., at least 14 days after they complete a COVID-19 vaccine dosage regimen)."

https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-transportation/marine-safety/ship-safety-bulletins/guidance-cruise-operators-mitigate-risks-associated-covid-19-ssb-no-22-2022

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

so how does this work  if the the Oct 1st  requirements do not include  covid tests before boarding?

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2022/09/government-of-canada-to-remove-covid-19-border-and-travel-measures-effective-october-1.html

The  bulletin is mostly "recommended " "guidelines"    but not mandatory

Just more confusing

25 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

so how does this work  if the the Oct 1st  requirements do not include  covid tests before boarding?

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2022/09/government-of-canada-to-remove-covid-19-border-and-travel-measures-effective-october-1.html

Just more confusing

Sheesh . . . is is possible for the government to do a single thing without someone getting confused and complaining?

What is confusing about the guidelines?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Just more confusing

There's no need for confusion. Each cruise line can now establish its own policies with respect to such things as vaccinations and pre-cruise COVID testing. As the Canadian cruise season will be finished in a matter of days, cruise lines may not bother implementing changes for the few remaining sailings. Check with your favourite cruise line(s) to see what they decide to do with respect to COVID mitigation.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

Thank you Foremco. You do a great job keeping us up to date and informed.

He certainly does. I suspect he secretly works for the upper echelons of CBSA... or Privy Council 🙂 

Thanks for all you do keeping us informed.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

Thank you Foremco. You do a great job keeping us up to date and informed.

11 minutes ago, 3Shelaghs said:

He certainly does. I suspect he secretly works for the upper echelons of CBSA... or Privy Council 🙂 

Thanks for all you do keeping us informed.

Once upon a time, many years ago, when today's CBSA fell under a different ministry and was known as Revenue Canada Customs and Excise, I did have an occasion to lecture at the Customs and Excise College in Rigaud, Quebec. Also, a former President of CBSA was a neighbour at one time, so I have had "connections", but that's as close as I've come to working for them. While my association with CBSA has been very slim, with the PCO it has been zero!  😇

• Like 5

I'm surprised they still title them as Ship Safety Bulletins since that name is antiquated. As a former inspector with TCMS, the organization started as CSI (Canada Steamship Inspection), then CGSSB (Coast Guard Ship Safety Branch) and now TCMS (Transport Canada Marine Safety).