Pre & Post Cruise Regent Hotel Processes

pappy1022

We have Regent “free” pre and post one night hotels included in our cruise next year. The first is included because we have a concierge level cabin and the second is included as part of a Regent “special” that everyone gets. I’ve always arranged for my own pre and post cruise hotels when taking a cruise so I am not aware of the processes that Regent uses to transport people, register at hotels, boarding and departing from the ship, etc. I have read recent reviews on baggage handling and breakfast at the hotel but little about the transportation and hotel registration. I have this picture in my mind of this mass chaos of people lined up to register in the hotel,  people trying to get on buses to catch their flight home, big lines to get on and off the ship, etc. I keep telling myself that it can’t be that chaotic but when the entire ship has a “free” post cruise hotel included I can’t fathom the logistics required to make that a smooth and quick process. We are embarking in Copenhagen and disembarking in South Hampton. I assume, maybe mistakingly, that our hotel will be in London. Regent hasn’t announced what hotel it will be. The hotel in Copenhagen is the Marriott near the water. Maybe we could walk to the ship from there? So, I hope you fine people can enlighten me on the processes and your experiences and give any tips to minimize wait times and chaos. 

Edited by pappy1022
Misspelled word

Just now, pappy1022 said:

I have this picture in my mind of this mass chaos of people lined up to register in the hotel,  people trying to get on buses to catch their flight home, big lines to get on and off the ship, etc.

Unfortunately it can be a less than luxury or seamless experience 🤨

I can’t fathom the logistics required to make that a smooth and quick process.

Nor can Regent’s ground operators in our experience ☹️

I assume, maybe mistakingly, that our hotel will be in London.

Yes, it is probably more likely to be in London rather than Southampton 

So, I hope you fine people can enlighten me on the processes and your experiences and give any tips to minimize wait times and chaos. 

Take a credit for the pre & post hotels and make your own arrangements for accommodation & transfers. It will be more expensive than the credits but you will enjoy a more relaxed experience.
Plus post cruise you could choose to stay in a more interesting location between Southampton & Heathrow, such as the New Forest or Windsor.

JMO. Other experiences & advice may vary.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pappy1022 said:

The hotel in Copenhagen is the Marriott near the water. Maybe we could walk to the ship from there? So, I hope you fine people can enlighten me on the processes and your experiences and give any tips to minimize wait times and chaos. 

The cruise port is a little over 4 miles to the Marriott so quite a hike with luggage

• Like 2

My experiences with pre and post transfers have been PreCOVID.

For our Alaska cruise, I think most/every passenger ends up spending the night before hand in Anchorage.  I do not remember any chaos on getting to the hotel.  And it seemed very organized getting us to the train for the trip to the ship.

Our last cruise PreCOVID ended in New York.  There were several busses lined up as we got off the ship.  We already had an assigned bus to get us to the airport.  Before the bus left a Regent Rep came on board to make sure everyone was on the correct bus.

When the port is something totally new to us, we are more likely to take the PreCruise transfers and hotel and transfer to the airport.

• Like 1

It depends on how well you enjoy being bearded in mass from ship to bus to hotel lobby to buse to airport. Not everyone will have the pre hotel and some will elect to take the credit for the post as we would.

As Flossie says take the credit and do your own thing at the end. Renting a car is easy in Southampton and and drop it at the airport. There are many B&Bs/small hotels in the greater area and it is loaded with interesting sites. Much more relaxing than being crammed on buses with several hundred “friends”. You will really not have much time to enjoy London.

Sometimes the pre and post transfers go smoothly. Other times it is a nightmare. You are no longer on the ship in Regents direct care. Now Regent is depending on third parties for smooth sailing and often times it is not. We have found we can do it better on our own and have a nicer experience especial overseas.

Airport transfers are a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of Regent cruises. A taxi or private car on your own schedule is the only way to go if you want a hassle free transfer. JMO

Edited by cwn
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, pappy1022 said:

. Maybe we could walk to the ship from there? So, I hope you fine people can enlighten me on the processes and your experiences and give any tips to minimize wait times and chaos. 

The copenhagen Marriott is several miles from the cruise terminal.  I stayed there recently and I recommend booking directly and arranging your own transport.  Taxis are plentiful and the the concierge group can easily arrange a specific time.  So much less expensive doing booking all of this on your own.  The hotel will have a major refurb next year, room really need it but currently more than adequate.  I don’t know the specific dates on this refurb.

just realized the hotel is included yet not free! 😂. I would still make your own arrangement to the cruise terminal…it’s a short 15-20 ride and inexpensive 

nancy

Edited by nancygp
  • Like 1