Evening Dress Code/enforcement

Rick&Susan

17 minutes ago, JCruise85 said:

I don't know how anyone wears hats for long periods anyway.

Always makes my head itchy.

Wash your hair? I wear hats all the time because it is bright sun most of the time here (North Texas). There is a good reason for cowboy hats. Hardly ever wore hats back east. Sun protection and keep bright sun out of my eyes so would never wear it backwards because that would defeat the point. My brother in law is a red head and bald and he needs it even more.

• Like 2

Just love judging how judgmental posters are about how judgmental others are judging what someone wears to dinner…….I’ll work on how to get the phrase ‘judge’ into one sentence more times later….edit: got one more in!!

and 14pages and 325+ posts…..wow, love it!!

den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, UnorigionalName said:

So are people who work at car washes somehow worse people?

Are you a better person than them because you have the luxury of working a white-collar job?

That's why dress codes are dying.  Younger people find that line of thought massively offensive.

Do you consider yourself a religious person?  Is this what your religion teaches you?

When you work at a car wash, you don’t have to dress like it at dinner.  

I grew up in a trailer park.  But if we went to church we dressed up.

When I worked as a secretary in college in downtown Chicago, I dressed how they told me to dress.  I’m a guy.

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There are practical reasons to wear a baseball cap backwards - I do it quite often when I’m using my camera. The bill gets in the way.  However, that wouldn’t happen in the dining room or even indoors. Good military training (and smart parents) made it very clear to me that hats are not worn under cover.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, carolina_yankee said:

There are practical reasons to wear a baseball cap backwards - I do it quite often when I’m using my camera. The bill gets in the way.  However, that wouldn’t happen in the dining room or even indoors. Good military training (and smart parents) made it very clear to me that hats are not worn under cover.

Inside, not always true in the military. Outside, there are places where hats are not allowed when outside while on duty. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, carolina_yankee said:

I bet you would talk to someone wearing a backwards facing ball cap in the dining room.  That’s why you’re a better person than me.

I have no time to read 14 pages of opinion so if I repeat posts, sorry.

20 plus years ago, we cruised Europe a few times. My husband and son wore tuxes, my daughter and I long gowns. All of us loved the experience, feeling special and extravagant.

Today on our cruises my husband wears a sport coat and I wear a cocktail dress.

We still love “ dressing up”, and will do whatever we please. It makes our vacation special.

I don’t care what others wear, but I do mourn the civility that we have lost.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 5:31 PM, zitsky said:

I bet you would talk to someone wearing a backwards facing ball cap in the dining room.  That’s why you’re a better person than me.

Only if they have an interesting camera or are seated at my table. Otherwise, I tend to keep to myself. I cruise to get away from people! (Oddly) 😊 

On 10/14/2022 at 8:03 AM, RedneckBob said:

Ok, here comes my base ball cap analysis.

If you wear a baseball cap with the bill forward you are Old School, if the bill is pointed backwards you are New School, if you wear the bill pointed sideways, you are No School 😀

And don't forget about us old farts that also wear bucket hats. 😁

51 minutes ago, carolina_yankee said:

Only if they have an interesting camera or are seated at my table. Otherwise, I tend to keep to myself. I cruise to get away from people! (Oddly) 😊 

Better not tell him I booked the same cruise.  Gee, this is awkward.  🥸

On 10/13/2022 at 11:31 PM, Denny01 said:

Its always interesting reading the reason someone just cant wear pants for a few Hrs once or twice during a cruise=

Think about the absurdity of needing <?> to do so on a hot, tropical vacation. Optional; sure. Interesting the reasons strangers ascribe to others for needing to do so at all. 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2022 at 9:07 PM, Rick&amp;Susan said:

Some rather incorrect accusations:

- I never said I complained to anyone. I simply told them & you that I was curious.

- I never complained about people not dressing up in tuxes or suits for Formal nights, which most cruise lines have gratefully stopped. 

- I did not bring a suit, as the current trip this cruise is part of is 30 days long & I had no other need of same. But anyone has room for a pair of slacks & a collared shirt.

- The buffet & room service have always been perfect options for those who want to remain in beach or gym wear into their evening.

- I first searched "evenng dress" & found no other threads, so I made my inquiry.

- I never criticized jeans or dressy, long shorts. For that matter, I didn't criticize anyone- as most of you ironically did me- I simply observed & expressed personal disappointment & curiosity about what other lines might be doing now. I actually received zero feedback on any specific lines that also have no policy anymore like Royal.

Yes, back to Celebrity's much better experience, food & service.

There is another post asking ,"Has cruising lost its sparkle?" Its been interesting reading the responses.

We are cruising on the Apex TA at the end of the month, this is our first cruise since the pandemic. So its been almost 3 years since I have been on CC. Ive always loved this site, still do, but what I have seen is an increased amount of people berating others for their questions. Cruising will never loose its sparkle for me. I have always felt very blessed that my husband and I can cruise at least 3-4 times a year.

But the CC has changed, I'm seeing an increase in rudeness, and honestly bullying. I apologize for the condescending remarks of others on this thread. What happened to just being polite and empathetic and welcoming?

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Think about the absurdity of needing <?> to do so on a hot, tropical vacation. Optional; sure. Interesting the reasons strangers ascribe to others for needing to do so at all. 

It’s a real burden wearing long pants in an air conditioned room for 2 hours.

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

It’s a real burden wearing long pants in an air conditioned room for 2 hours.

Burden? It's a choice.  calling it a burden is your attempt to back handedly judge anyone that doesn't do what you do. Why do anything for 2 hours in 1 room at all? 

Here; wear this Yellowdaffodil hat for 2 hours, but only in certain rooms, on a vacation you paid for.  I'm going to the Bahamas and Key West next week for a fast little getaway. I have no illusion that I am onboard the QM2. 

Edited by LMaxwell
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Burden? It's a choice.  calling it a burden is your attempt to back handedly judge anyone that doesn't do what you do. Why do anything for 2 hours in 1 room at all? 

Here; wear this Yellowdaffodil hat for 2 hours, but only in certain rooms, on a vacation you paid for.  I'm going to the Bahamas and Key West next week for a fast little getaway. I have no illusion that I am onboard the QM2. 

No one would argue that it’s warm in the Caribbean.  That’s not what this is about.

If I go to a restaurant on land that requires a suit, do I stand outside for 2 hours moaning “not fair, not fair”?

I hope it’s not considered rude to disagree with someone.  

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

No one would argue that it’s warm in the Caribbean.  That’s not what this is about.

If I go to a restaurant on land that requires a suit, do I stand outside for 2 hours moaning “not fair, not fair”?

I hope it’s not considered rude to disagree with someone.  

Cruise ship main dining rooms just aren't all that impressive or important to me. I live a relaxed life in a work from home role. I have no interest in dressing up on a vacation. If this offends you, I'm sorry, but it's your issue to get over, not mine to conform to what you like. If I forced you to conform to what I like, that would also be absurd. Take whatever option you want. People need to stop pretending like there's strict rules and class delineation on 95% of these cruise ships. Bon voyage. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Cruise ship main dining rooms just aren't all that impressive or important to me. I live a relaxed life in a work from home role. I have no interest in dressing up on a vacation. If this offends you, I'm sorry, but it's your issue to get over, not mine to conform to what you like. If I forced you to conform to what I like, that would also be absurd. Take whatever option you want. People need to stop pretending like there's strict rules and class delineation on 95% of these cruise ships. Bon voyage. 

I guess it’s nice to feel like a rebel.  Maybe I’ll wear my Billy Idol tshirt to the MDR so I know what it’s like.  😂

If it offends you that I’m offended, take it up with the cruise line.  I’m not the one who sets the rules.

13 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I guess it’s nice to feel like a rebel.  Maybe I’ll wear my Billy Idol tshirt to the MDR so I know what it’s like.  😂

If it offends you that I’m offended, take it up with the cruise line.  I’m not the one who sets the rules.

Why not no shirt and budgie smugglers?

3 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

No one is asking you to conform to what we or they like. We are asking you to conform to the rules set by the cruise line, rules which we all accepted when we booked the cruise. If you don't like X's rules book on a different line.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, the penguins said:

No one is asking you to conform to what we or they like. We are asking you to conform to the rules set by the cruise line, rules which we all accepted when we booked the cruise. If you don't like X's rules book on a different line.

Very reasonable, but is this an actual issue on Celebrity cruises these days. I haven't cruised since Covid but before I'm not sure if I ever saw shorts (even Bermuda shorts worn by my fellow Bermudians) or flip flops,  t-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps or pool wear in the main restaurant or specialty restaurants in the evening while on my cruises. Perhaps I wasn't looking at the guys in those venues very closely. I have noticed, on several occasions, some women wearing inappropriate attire at times but I am pretty sure they were within Celebrity's dress code, just not mine. 😉

In the spirit of full disclosure, I have broken Celebrity's dress code on a few occasions when I went to the theatre at night wearing dress shorts. This was before I found out I was 1/8th Bermudian so even though I was technically not breaking the rules, I was breaking the spirit of the rules. Frankly, I was too lazy to go back to my cabin again (after changing from long pants to shorts after dinner) to change back for the few minutes in the theatre. My experience has always been they the shows are so bad on Celebrity that I have to leave after a few minutes. I did manage to stay for 30 minutes once,  but I was on some great medications after a knee operation on that cruise.  😵

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, zitsky said:

That it is a rule is in your mind. It is a request. Rebels should be appreciated. We need more think different not think same.