Tipping with OBC

Plato123

On our last cruise we more OBC than we expected at the end so we used  it to tip our butler and cabin attendant as well others.  

The form to do so was available at Customer Relations.  When we advised our butler that we had done this he did not look too happy.

We understand that only our butler and cabin attendant actually get specified amounts and others shared the tips, but does anyone know if and how they actually get the tips?

13 minutes ago, Plato123 said:

On our last cruise we more OBC than we expected at the end so we used  it to tip our butler and cabin attendant as well others.  

The form to do so was available at Customer Relations.  When we advised our butler that we had done this he did not look too happy.

We understand that only our butler and cabin attendant actually get specified amounts and others shared the tips, but does anyone know if and how they actually get the tips?

Hi, on our last cruise two weeks ago we picked the forms you are talking about to add additional tips because we had a lot of non refundable credit! Always pre pay our tips before final payment then tip a number of staff who have given us extra good service. First form we wrote out the amount for our cabin attendant and handed it in to desk relations.Then asked about our table servers who we had 6nights out of 11 and they were lovely! I wrote the table number and the three names including the sommelier, the amount for each of them on the form,was told they would not get it individually as dinning room tips are pooled, same with the guys in Tuscan who looked after us at the Captains club coffee/breakfast.We we’re advised to just give cash to them,which we did but hope our room attendant got his! Next cruise we will just do the extra tips in cash and use obc in the shops.

38 minutes ago, Plato123 said:

My answer is same as cruisestitch.  We did it once and when we told the butler he was very confused, so it led me to believe it’s not done often.  I think they prefer to get cash so the amount is unknown to Celebrity.   Also, since it is added to their pay there is a record of it.  

My understanding from speaking to an HR Manager who applies the tips said that if you leave a tip to a position -  e.g. Butler it goes to the Pool.    If you put the person's name and position down then the tip goes to the individual.     When doing it by name I have actually gotten a number of thank you's from a number of the individuals.

Also the Maitre 'd told me that if I leave a tip using my SeaPass the tip goes to the entire dining room staff pool but if I leave cash it goes to the Murano pool only.  

• Thanks 2

@Jim_Iain

Not only did we fill out the form with names, but left an 'attaboy' card outlining why we felt each person's service was deserving of the extra and the amount.  Assuming GR didn't ditch the card, each person should have gotten some kudos and been made aware of what amount to expect when the card was read.

Edited by canderson

24 minutes ago, canderson said:

@Jim_Iain

Not only did we fill out the form with names, but left an 'attaboy' card outlining why we felt each person's service was deserving of the extra and the amount.  Assuming GR didn't ditch the card, each person should have gotten some kudos and been made aware of what amount to expect when the card was read.

Agree with you.   Not sure why your Butler would have given you a pooh face.   Mine has always thanked me for being so generous.    I usually fill out an attention to detail form and list all those that have given exemplary service.   I usually get a letter back from the Hotel Director thanking me and later the people I mentioned told me they were called up at staff meeting and given a  shipboard credit for the ships store for the compliment.    They often say it is more important to them in their career growth than a good tip.

51 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Agree with you.   Not sure why your Butler would have given you a pooh face. 

That was someone else's experience, above.  Never had that happen to us.

I assume the cards (Attention to Detail) are still read in the crew meetings?

Edited by canderson

We have done this for years.  One time, when we mentioned it, the waiter pulled out her phone, looked at her account, and said "Yes, it's there".  We do add comments on the form re the outstanding service that led to the extra tip.

The only time we've had a problem, we designated a $75 tip to a waiter.  When we got home and received our final account statement, we learned that they had misread my number, and only gave her $15. (We also lost our "unused" OBC in the process!)  As our account was now closed, they would not rectify the mistake, so we started a search for someone currently aboard who could give her the message; that was accomplished, finally, last night.  Fortunately, we will be aboard the same ship in a few weeks, so we will make it up to her.

We plan to continue using OBC for tips, but perhaps earlier in the cruise, so we know it has been done correctly.

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

We have done this for years.  One time, when we mentioned it, the waiter pulled out her phone, looked at her account, and said "Yes, it's there".  We do add comments on the form re the outstanding service that led to the extra tip.

The only time we've had a problem, we designated a $75 tip to a waiter.  When we got home and received our final account statement, we learned that they had misread my number, and only gave her $15. (We also lost our "unused" OBC in the process!)  As our account was now closed, they would not rectify the mistake, so we started a search for someone currently aboard who could give her the message; that was accomplished, finally, last night.  Fortunately, we will be aboard the same ship in a few weeks, so we will make it up to her.

We plan to continue using OBC for tips, but perhaps earlier in the cruise, so we know it has been done correctly.

image.png.fd6ad2926efa099d74adb90bf90ed038.png

If the situation ever comes up again, you might consider writing the number 7 the European way. We learned to do this many years ago.

No confusion, no lost credit. 😊

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

image.png.fd6ad2926efa099d74adb90bf90ed038.png

If the situation ever comes up again, you might consider writing the number 7 the European way. We learned to do this many years ago.

No confusion, no lost credit. 😊

Yes, I learned my lesson!  Losing the credit came way behind imagining how the waiter must have felt when she saw such a small amount, after the exceedingly excellent service she provided for us.

We were told there are no paper Attention to Detail cards on Solstice. They had us write it using the Free links on the login.com page, the Talk To Us or something like that.

We did get a reply from the hotel director to our praise of the World Class Bar staff and the bartenders told us they were getting a free steak dinner at Tuscan Grille for our comments. 

We also tipped using OBC at Guest Relations, and they asked us for the staff members' names and we provided all the info. I hope they got those tips.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, SusieV said:

We were told there are no paper Attention to Detail cards on Solstice. They had us write it using the Free links on the login.com page, the Talk To Us or something like that.

We did get a reply from the hotel director to our praise of the World Class Bar staff and the bartenders told us they were getting a free steak dinner at Tuscan Grille for our comments. 

We also tipped using OBC at Guest Relations, and they asked us for the staff members' names and we provided all the info. I hope they got those tips.

I was told the same on Equinox but when I mentioned to the Retreat Host she pulled out a stack and gave me a couple.    On the next cruise (B2B) Iain asked at the front desk and the agent reached down and gave him one.