Docked at 5:00am, can we make a 10:00am flight?

jjeffjb

Typically we never book a flight before noon on disembarkation day.  However, we dock at 5:00am in Reykjavick.  The port is about 45 minutes from the airport.  I would think that we would be able to disembark by 7:00 and be at the airport by 8:00.  Am I missing something?

I don't think docking is necessarily correlated to disembarkation.  On the Sirena last month we docked at 6(in Southampton, UK). Disembarkation started at 8 and finished at 9.   I would check the ships schedule for planned disembarkation time.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

What time is  the next flight?

I would be worrying  the whole trip  that I would miss that flight 😉

The next flight is at 5:00pm.  I'll contact O for details about disembarkation.

• Like 1

That is tight. Because between Customs and Security clearances, it would probably be very tight. Why waste a great vacation with an anxiety ridden mad dash to an airport.
I. Like the idea of a tour. We made a run to the Blue Lagoon and people hung out there for a couple hours. Get a reservation there however. Depending on day of arrival, traffic could become an issue. 

just Enjoy,

Mauibabes. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jjeffjb said:

Typically we never book a flight before noon on disembarkation day.  However, we dock at 5:00am in Reykjavick.  The port is about 45 minutes from the airport.  I would think that we would be able to disembark by 7:00 and be at the airport by 8:00.  Am I missing something?

This basic question appears on CC multiple times per week. Rephrased, it always sounds like: “I know this is very risky. But, maybe someone can convince me that the (usually) less expensive morning flight from a disembarkation port is OK.”

That said, the other common misunderstanding is that “scheduled arrival time” is always close to (or even the “same as”) “disembarkation time” or “clearing customs time” or some other “time delaying time” (e.g., weather/mechanical/logistical issues).

As many cruise lines will usually state: “don’t book flights home before noon.”

• Like 6

I think it prudent to take the 5:00pm flight.  If we opt to take a tour of Reykjavik, does Oceania offer a service to deliver bags directly from the ship to the airport?  Or would we have to go to the airport and check the bags prior to seeing the city sights?

3 hours ago, jjeffjb said:

I think it prudent to take the 5:00pm flight.  If we opt to take a tour of Reykjavik, does Oceania offer a service to deliver bags directly from the ship to the airport?  Or would we have to go to the airport and check the bags prior to seeing the city sights?

Check to see if there is an excursion with a ending point at the airport. Your luggage goes with you when you board the bus for your excursion. You and your luggage are delivered to the airport at the end of the excursion. See if some thing like this might be offered

Been through Keflavik many times.   Your premises on times are correct.

Only assumptions are wrong.   Unless business class or Saga class you will need/allow 3 hours at airport.  Highly doubtful that O will begin at 7am.  8am or 830 is a more likely occurrence, but do check with Miami.

1 hour ago, PaulMCO said:

Been through Keflavik many times.   Your premises on times are correct.

Only assumptions are wrong.   Unless business class or Saga class you will need/allow 3 hours at airport.  Highly doubtful that O will begin at 7am.  8am or 830 is a more likely occurrence, but do check with Miami.

We booked the 5:15pm flight. Better safe than sorry. It’s nonstop to Boston. That will leave us with a 2 hour drive home. But we won’t be sweating the disembarkation process. Thanks to all for your valuable advice. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jjeffjb said:

We booked the 5:15pm flight. Better safe than sorry. It’s nonstop to Boston. That will leave us with a 2 hour drive home. But we won’t be sweating the disembarkation process. Thanks to all for your valuable advice. 

As long as you’re driving home from Logan, why not stop at Regina Pizzeria for almost DiFara’s (Brooklyn) pizza?

1F51A467-4B08-4BF4-AD36-A8C177FE2E86.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jjeffjb said:

Good plan

Maybe O will have some tours on disembarkation day or you can find a private on to  enjoy the sights

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
35 minutes ago, honmani2 said:

Oceania booked my flight from Hamburg.  The embarkation time says 8 am and the flight is at 9:45 am.  Why would Oceania book a flight that close to the embarkation time?

If you are on the Marina the ship overnights in Hamburg.  Not an issue with an early flight in that instance.  Our flight leaves at 10 AM.  If we had a morning port arrival I would have booked an afternoon flight.

Plenty to see in and around Reykjavik. Stay an extra day if that could work for you.

msn123, thanks for the quick reply.  Yes, we're on the Marina that's an overnighter in Hamburg.  I guess what threw me off was that the itinerary sent by Oceania showed an 8 am disembarkation time but I suppose I should ignore it and assume that I will be disembarking earlier than that.

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, honmani2 said:

Oceania booked my flight from Hamburg.  The embarkation time says 8 am and the flight is at 9:45 am.  Why would Oceania book a flight that close to the embarkation time?

do you mean disembarkation? Are you getting on the ship or getting off?

Call your TA or O & tell them that is not suitable

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

do you mean disembarkation? Are you getting on the ship or getting off?

Call your TA or O & tell them that is not suitable

It’s pretty obvious that OP talking about a return flight. Given that Oceania booked their air the transfer to the airport is included, so it’ll be upon Oceania to figure out the logistics. Also, it’ll be easier to do, if the ship overnights in the port.

Edited by osandomir

3 minutes ago, osandomir said:

It’s pretty obvious that OP talking about a return flight. Given that Oceania booked their air the transfer to the airport is included, so it’ll be upon Oceania to figure out the logistics. Also, it’ll be easier to do, if the ship overnights in the disembarkation port.

Even if it overnights  still would not  be wanting to get up in the middle of the night to get to the airport  it is bad  enough getting up before 8am 

JMO

2 minutes ago, osandomir said:

It’s pretty obvious that OP talking about a return flight. Given that Oceania booked their air the transfer to the airport is included, so it’ll be upon Oceania to figure out the logistics. Also, it’ll be easier to do, if the ship overnights in the disembarkation port.

With timing like this, I'd forget the "Oceania logistics".
The *last* thing I'd want, IF we were trying to get that flight, is to have to wait for a bus/van to fill up with others, and then perhaps make several stops at the airport or go to one main stop that might not be near *your* terminal.  It might not be a huge airport in this case, of course.

IF you really want to try for that flight (and I am NOT familiar with the area/airport to have any specific knowledge), I'd suggest trying to be among the first off, and head straight to a taxi, and then to the airport.

Things might go like a charm, early arrival/clearing/etc.

Or not.

However... we would be fully prepared to miss the flight, knowing that we gave it the best try possible, *if* we were going to give it a try.

We personally always allow extra time, not only so we don't have to rush, but if we are in a foreign area, there *will* be something to occupy us for another day or two, so we might as well enjoy it while there!  No need to rush or to stress about it during the cruise.  Win/win.

And we have the same approach prior to a cruise.  We always arrive comfortably in advance, at least one night, and often several, depending upon whether we are making the area "part" of the trip.

"Worst case"?  How about a visit to the Blue Lagoon to relax the rest of the day!  🙂 

Or find something that appeals to you, of course.

Good luck!

GC

My bad. I meant disembarkation . . . still getting used to the peculiar vocabulary of cruising.  Ha ha.

And LHT28 is right; I'm not looking forward to disembarking at the crack of dawn to make the 9:45 am flight but what are my options?  In order to make it back to Honolulu, the latest flight is at 11 am (I know, still better than 9:45 am) unless I overnight somewhere along the way.

In this situation, does Oceania accommodate the overnight stay, say, in San Francisco (or in Hamburg) so I can leave at a more decent hour?  My assumption is they don't.

It's the logistical challenge of living in Hawaii where it's near impossible to get back home from many places in one day.  (As an example, I'm on another cruise in October that disembarks in Venice and we're staying overnight but the flight leaves at the ungodly hour of 6:30 am in order to make it back home without having to stay overnight along the way.)

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Even if it overnights  still would not  be wanting to get up in the middle of the night to get to the airport  it is bad  enough getting up before 8am 

JMO

I don’t think it’s a good idea to get up after 8 am on the disembarkation day. Most likely the flight from Hamburg will be within the European continent, so there will be no getting up in the middle of the night. We’ve been on numerous early flights traveling to or out of US.

7 minutes ago, honmani2 said:

My bad. I meant disembarkation . . . still getting used to the peculiar vocabulary of cruising.  Ha ha.

And LHT28 is right; I'm not looking forward to disembarking at the crack of dawn to make the 9:45 am flight but what are my options?  In order to make it back to Honolulu, the latest flight is at 11 am (I know, still better than 9:45 am) unless I overnight somewhere along the way.

In this situation, does Oceania accommodate the overnight stay, say, in San Francisco (or in Hamburg) so I can leave at a more decent hour?  My assumption is they don't.

It's the logistical challenge of living in Hawaii where it's near impossible to get back home from many places in one day.  (As an example, I'm on another cruise in October that disembarks in Venice and we're staying overnight but the flight leaves at the ungodly hour of 6:30 am in order to make it back home without having to stay overnight along the way.)

I also don’t think that Oceania will pay for your overnight anywhere or even book you on the flight that requires an overnight. In your case there difference between 9:45 and 11am is minimal. If your itinerary is that complicated from the beginning it would be much better to choose booking your own flights and be in control of your routings. Of cause, you can try to contact Oceania, as LHT suggested, to find out what are your options now.