Carry on Luggage for embarkation day

jwmiller5

19 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Are you sure about this? On our February 2022 Reflection cruise the paperwork pictured below indicates the cabins are accessible and available from the moment of boarding on embarkation day;furthermore, there's no qualifier stating the cabin is only available for dropping off hand luggage, which implies you can occupy the cabin. 

original_43c15754-505c-41a0-9bd9-d1636961c27f_PXL_20220226_203920731.jpg

This was during the Covid reduced capacity sailings, and usually had later boarding times (noon vs 11). Rooms were pretty much ready and done by the time you boarded. On my sept 24th sailing, we could grab our keys and drop off luggage. Could we have stayed in the room? Yes, its not like they had the room police there. But the room was only partially finished. It was basically made up, but things specific to each guest or class of room was not necessarily done. Think robes replaced, binoculars stocked,  status or room class gifts, or other little odds and ends. This was at 11:30. We dropped luggage in the closet and put stuff in the safe, then headed out for lunch. 

On 10/10/2022 at 10:35 AM, jwmiller5 said:

Hi everyone, I'm preparing for my FIRST EVER CRUISE!!! I wanted to get some advice about carrying on luggage for Embarkation day. I have a lower deck stateroom, and I'm more than capable of carrying all my luggage up and down staircases (no waiting for elevators). Should I skip checking my luggage and just carry it direct to my room? I've read that our staterooms are available as soon as we board, so I'd like to skip an extra steps of waiting for my luggage, but I wanted some feedback from experienced travelers, Is this a bad idea? Are there other factors I need to consider??

Check your regular luggage.  If you have a backpack or carry on small piece of luggage with valuables and medication, take it yourself.  Enjoy your cruise

On 10/10/2022 at 10:35 AM, jwmiller5 said:

Hi everyone, I'm preparing for my FIRST EVER CRUISE!!! I wanted to get some advice about carrying on luggage for Embarkation day. I have a lower deck stateroom, and I'm more than capable of carrying all my luggage up and down staircases (no waiting for elevators). Should I skip checking my luggage and just carry it direct to my room? I've read that our staterooms are available as soon as we board, so I'd like to skip an extra steps of waiting for my luggage, but I wanted some feedback from experienced travelers, Is this a bad idea? Are there other factors I need to consider??

It needs to fit through the security scanner.  The ships all do what looks like airline security screening.

Also, we usually do a backpack, what the airlines call carry on bag and a large suitcase.  We check the large suitcase.

If you only have a backpack and one bag that will fit through the scanner should not be a problem.

An other consideration for keeping your own luggage.  On our March Silhouette cruise we put a NEW 25" piece of luggage out for pick-up upon disembarkation with 4 wheels and picked it up with only 3 wheels!!!!  So the care for your luggage is not always the best.  We had a plane to catch and no one available to file paperwork with.  The porters, I believe,  are not Celebrity employees but employees of the terminal.  Thus Celebrity didn't want to take responsibility but did eventually give us a token $50 of OBC on our May cruise.

Lots of different opinions here on this topic.  We have lately been rolling our 22 inch spinners on board.  My DH is not good with waiting for anything any time and the first day of a cruise is always a bit stressful.  Some go straight to the Martini Bar to handle this first day stress. I have learned to go with the flow (his) and roll on board.  It just makes him happy to have his stuff without waiting.  After all, we have rolled these same bags on and off  trains and into hotel rooms around the world.  We always roll off for sure so rolling on is no different in my opinion.

One hint to new cruisers, if you do this walk to the elevators by the theater (or in back) and be patient until you are not crowding anyone else.  The elevators in the main areas just off the ramp are too crowded to use with luggage.  To me waiting for an all most empty elevator is easier than waiting for luggage to be delivered with someone pacing around the stateroom fussing.  Just saying, we all have our motivations.  I am very glad most people have their luggage delivered.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cruisegirlppp said:

Oh my, can you imagine explaining that to a guest???

Princess told the guests that their luggage got wet because it was raining and offered free laundry services.The people involved said their clothes reeked of oil and fuel.

• Haha 2

On 10/10/2022 at 11:32 AM, kwokpot said:

Are you sure about this? On our February 2022 Reflection cruise the paperwork pictured below indicates the cabins are accessible and available from the moment of boarding on embarkation day;furthermore, there's no qualifier stating the cabin is only available for dropping off hand luggage, which implies you can occupy the cabin. 

Been on 7 cruises since resumption of sailing and all had a magnet on the door asking you to drop your luggage and allow them to complete freshening your room.    Since we always board at about 11-11:30 the rooms are usually not completed and sometimes they beds have been stripped and not made yet. 

I don't recall every seeing it written on the pre-cruise documents but personally choose to respect or room staff and let them get their job done without having to work around us.    I do the same at home when our housekeeper comes.

When we have been on B2B's they try to get our room ready while we are at the B2B processing and are invited to use our room once completed.    As a courtesy we usually grab a coffee and go to Lunch at Luminae and stay out of the way of the Room attendant and Butler.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2

On 10/10/2022 at 10:32 AM, kwokpot said:

I agree with Jim.  We have been on three B2B cruises and one which would have been a B2B but we didn't do the second leg since the spouse caught Covid.  On all those turnaround days we saw the "Perfection in Progress" magnetic sign on some stateroom doors.  These staterooms were available for key pick up and delivery of carryon luggage.

On 10/10/2022 at 9:35 AM, jwmiller5 said:

IMO, do a carry on (that would fit in a plane's cabin luggage compartment) that will have a change of clothes, swimsuit, any medications or must haves (C-pap, etc), electronics and jewelry.  Check anything else and it will be delivered to your cabin.  While I'm sure you are more than capable of schlepping all your luggage, you're on vacation!  Relax and let someone else do the heavy lifting!  Have a great time!