Chops Lunch on Voyager on embarkation day..Not with the Key..

We cruised on 9/25 on the Voyager and had pre-reserved Chops for embarkation day.  Upon arriving at our reservation, we were told Chops was not serving lunch and we were told to go to Giovanni's.  We had lunch in Giovanni's and were given two days in which we could get our reservation for Chops.  Our  lunch in Giovanni's was complimentary.  We did leave a generous tip.  We had our lunch in Chops later in the week, and it was OUTSTANDING! We left another generous tip!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LadyBerard said:

Our  lunch in Giovanni's was complimentary.  We did leave a generous tip.  We had our lunch in Chops later in the week, and it was OUTSTANDING! We left another generous tip!

Why the necessity to mention the "generous tips?"

• Like 2

(I mentioned this elsewhere so I apologize for the repeat)

We were on Voyager last week with the UDP and planned to eat lunch at Chops on embarkation day.  I had stopped at Giovanni's to make sure all my dinner reservations I had made through the concierge were set and that's when the maitre de there told me that they "swapped" embarkation lunch with Chops.  Later, I was told by the Chops staff that the reason they did this on Voyager is because with the "amping" having added almost 500 additional pax capacity, the WIndjammer was running out of tables on embarkation day, so they use the adjacent Chops for overflow seating.

I also learned from them that the embarkation lunch with The Key, which is the Chops menu in the MDR, is not prepared in Chops or by the Chops staff.  It is the Chops recipes and food prepared by the MDR staff in its galley. 

36 minutes ago, rudeney said:

(I mentioned this elsewhere so I apologize for the repeat)

I also learned from them that the embarkation lunch with The Key, which is the Chops menu in the MDR, is not prepared in Chops or by the Chops staff.  It is the Chops recipes and food prepared by the MDR staff in its galley. 

I was on FOTS 08/19/22 and that was a first time purchase of The Key.  I assumed the food was prepared in the MDR galley, just as the Chops upsell items on the MDR menu probably are.

The thing that was disappointing was the shrimp cocktail served were NOT colossal sized shrimp but instead the smaller ones on the MDR menu every evening.  I pointed this out to the server as she placed it in front of me, and her response was "we don't have those today."

1 minute ago, PWP-001 said:

I was on FOTS 08/19/22 and that was a first time purchase of The Key.  I assumed the food was prepared in the MDR galley, just as the Chops upsell items on the MDR menu probably are.

The thing that was disappointing was the shrimp cocktail served were NOT colossal sized shrimp but instead the smaller ones on the MDR menu every evening.  I pointed this out to the server as she placed it in front of me, and her response was "we don't have those today."

So not this?

image.png.cf03c7d8819cbdb95873966e4715bbdc.png

We had dinner in chops 4 nights on our last cruise with the same waiter, Vlad.  Jan ordered the Colossal Shrimp Cocktail each night and .  Vlad always delivered the shrimp with the comment, "Wow!  Look!  This is amazing!"  Every time I saw it, I always flashed back to that scene in the movie Beetlejuice:

image.png.634c224aff9aadd0caf73f97737d2fc7.png

We're on Voyager in a few weeks, and bought Chops for Day 1 Lunch.  Primarily to avoid the Day 1 Lunch crowd in the Windjammer. 

Now assuming they'll send us to Giovanni's (which is fine), but kinda hoping they'll let us go to Izumi instead.  Got nothing to lose by asking 🙂

Since this has been going on for a few weeks now, a little surprised the Cruise Planner hasn't been adjusted.  I believe the only specialty Day 1 Lunch you can purchase (in advance) is Chops.

2 hours ago, Nabalab said:

We're on Voyager in a few weeks, and bought Chops for Day 1 Lunch.  Primarily to avoid the Day 1 Lunch crowd in the Windjammer. 

Now assuming they'll send us to Giovanni's (which is fine), but kinda hoping they'll let us go to Izumi instead.  Got nothing to lose by asking 🙂

Since this has been going on for a few weeks now, a little surprised the Cruise Planner hasn't been adjusted.  I believe the only specialty Day 1 Lunch you can purchase (in advance) is Chops.

Voyager will only have one specialty restaurant open for lunch on embarkation day, and if they keep using Chops for Windjammer overflow, it will be Giovanni's.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rudeney said:

So not this?

image.png.cf03c7d8819cbdb95873966e4715bbdc.png

Nope, they could all fit comfortly inside the small serving dish/glass:  not hanging over as yours are.  They definitely were the ones served in the MDR as I saw others order that evening. 

7 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Voyager will only have one specialty restaurant open for lunch on embarkation day, and if they keep using Chops for Windjammer overflow, it will be Giovanni's.

Ah okay, thanks.  The app says Izumi will be open on Day 1 Lunch, but I figured it was probably a mistake.  Giovanni's it is!

6 minutes ago, Nabalab said:

Ah okay, thanks.  The app says Izumi will be open on Day 1 Lunch, but I figured it was probably a mistake.  Giovanni's it is!

Yeah, the app is wrong.  I think it shows all the specialty restaurants open every day for lunch, even though they are closed on port days.  I magically gets "fixed" on boarding day.