Air Deviation ?

Dolebludger

Will it cover this situation?  We are looking at an Explorer to Alaska cruise for next summer. We live in Durango CO, so our gateway airports would need to be Denver or   Phoenix. To get to Denver, we have to fly United. To get to Phoenix we have to fly American. So to get our luggage checked all the way (without the hassle af claiming and rechecking) we have to be booked on the Regent flights with the airline we took from and to Durango, or one of its “partners”. To ensure this, will an air deviation and fee be required? If so, will the deviation cover this situation?

The included air is from the select gateways like Phoenix or Denver.  If you wish to leave from your local airport you would pay the deviation fee plus possibly an additional fee depending on the choices of flights available.  The only way to find out the exact amount is to request the deviation to see what is available.  The soonest you can do this is 270 days from your cruise date.

You probably would be better off to take the air credit and book your own flights.  By booking your own it will give you a better choice of flights and you can arrive a day or two earlier -- making certain that arrive and your luggage does too.

Having just experienced the horror of flying to the EU returning home two week ago, I would never plan on arriving on the same day.  Misconnects, extra nights at an airport hotels, involuntary reroutes, 2 hour waits in EU passport control...  joys of flying post-Covid.

Paul, we may do that, but we aren’t going to Europe for exactly the problems you mention. And we would never fly to a cruise on embarkation day — always the day before even for an Alaska or Miami departure. The air credit, unfortunately, is neither attractive or reasonable. If Regent has no way to accommodate Gold SSS members so we can check out luggage to destination, we’ll put our pencil to it and possibly change our plans.

The way I understand air travel from a none gateway airport, is that you will probably need to pay additional for that flight, but you will be able to check luggage all the way to embarkation airport. One way something wouldn’t be checked through is if first flight is with an airline that doesn’t interface with others like Southwest. 

MJ is correct. I fly from Tucson, a non-gateway city. The fee is $250 rt. I then also pay for deviation to fly in early. Then Regent schedules me and I have to opportunity to accept the flights or have them come up with different ones. Always check my bag in Tucson and pick it up again at my destination. Well worth not driving to Phoenix for me.

38 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

We know this, but will Regent put us on the same airline? That is the question. In this case, Regent’s choices would be United and American, depending on which gateway we fly to. 

I think that’s why you deviate.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

MJ is correct. I fly from Tucson, a non-gateway city. The fee is $250 rt. I then also pay for deviation to fly in early. Then Regent schedules me and I have to opportunity to accept the flights or have them come up with different ones. Always check my bag in Tucson and pick it up again at my destination. Well worth not driving to Phoenix for me.

I understand but you may want to re consider going to PHX. We are in Oro Valley and  it's only half an hour longer to get to PHX plus we stay at the Hyatt Place in Tempe and they let us park at no charge ( have done 30 days).To fly out of Tucson you will always change planes so at least one change and probably two and pay to park. Plus it is a boring drive over to Tempe !!

1 hour ago, tnr said:

Captjohn, how do you arrange the parking with the Hyatt?   Call them directly?

Hi, no planning needed. Just book a room in either direction or both. When you get there ask for the " car signup " (it's on a clipboard ). The rooms are OK a little tight in the shower area. During March  (baseball training ) the price goes up so book early. Be sure to record the the hotel phone # for your return shuttle ride.

Hope this helps, John