Mooning along the coast of Spain, Barcelona to Lisbon

Silver Spectre

19 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Did SS disclose the fact they would be doing this at embarkation?  If not, what an unpleasant surprise.

It was a footnote in the Chronicle, and it was only 10% for food and alcohol. I was informed a couple of days ago that it wouldn’t apply once we got into International waters, however we now have Portuguese VAT of 23%, including alcohol and 13% for La Dame and Kaiseki for the entire voyage. More EU gouging.

24 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Did SS disclose the fact they would be doing this at embarkation?  If not, what an unpleasant surprise.

On our Athens - Lisbon cruise this past spring, they disclosed it in The Daily Chronicles the night before the ship entered Spanish waters.  Italy imposed a 22% VAT on onboard purchases and once again, they didn't disclose it until the night before.  All other countries on our trip, Greece, Turkey, France and the Balkan Countries along the Adriatic did not impose the tax. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

It was a footnote in the Chronicle, and it was only 10% for food and alcohol. I was informed a couple of days ago that it wouldn’t apply once we got into International waters, however we now have Portuguese VAT of 23%, including alcohol and 13% for La Dame and Kaiseki for the entire voyage. More EU gouging.

We are on the Oct. 30th TA....the second night we are in La Dame...if we have to pay a vat...that will not happen!

1 hour ago, smilin jack said:

We are on the Oct. 30th TA....the second night we are in La Dame...if we have to pay a vat...that will not happen!

You’ll be in International Waters that evening according to Silversea’s website.  The Portuguese VAT would be on the third night of your voyage.

So did a bit of research on the EU VAT. It has been going on for a long time. Back to 2014 in one article I found from Travel Weekly.

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Insights/On-Europe-cruises-getting-acquainted-with-VAT

Even an early article from CC.

https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/articles.cfm?ID=3242

Several cruise lines mention it.

Now a couple say that if you buy your food and drink packages at home in a non EU country then you should be exempt from the tax except when in a port.

We didn't get charged VAT on our August cruise but then Kotor is in Montenego which is a non EU country so during the cruise VAT should not be charged.

So if the Moon cruise is a round trip from Lisbon and only visits Madeira,Azores and the Canary islands they are all in the EU. But if an African port or Gibraltar were included they are non EU so the tax should not be imposed throughout the cruise.

Good to know as we are coming up to picking our free cruise and i picked 2 Lisbon to Lisbon cruises. The only major difference one calls in at Gibraltar and one doesn't. Simplifies the choice.

however I don't remember being Charged VAT before when in European ports. Was SS including it in the price then but now wanting some extra return and so including it? One of the cruise lines that was charging it pre covid was RCL.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Brexit did not take care of the gouging  of cruising Brits when in the EU.  How does it work if EU residents cruise in the UK -- same thing?

Unfortunately, when you start in Spain, not much can be done-it’s Spanish law. If you are cruising elsewhere and are going to enter Spanish waters, we’ve found that the cruises lines will give you a heads up, and you can buy your wines or whatever in advance.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Brownie54 said:

Unfortunately, when you start in Spain, not much can be done-it’s Spanish law. If you are cruising elsewhere and are going to enter Spanish waters, we’ve found that the cruises lines will give you a heads up, and you can buy your wines or whatever in advance.

Unfortunately we are in Portuguese waters (sort of, except we are not) and their Vat is worse than Spain!

I am concerned that the lack of posts in the last few days might mean that you have lost wi-fi connection when you left mainland waters.

Please reassure me that this is not the case.  We board on Sunday for the trans-atlantic section - that's why we have been following your cruise closely.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, fred.mack said:

I am concerned that the lack of posts in the last few days might mean that you have lost wi-fi connection when you left mainland waters.

Please reassure me that this is not the case.  We board on Sunday for the trans-atlantic section - that's why we have been following your cruise closely.

I started a new thread.

1 hour ago, fred.mack said:

Proximity to land does not particularly influence wifi availability on the ship since it is satellite based.

• Like 1