anyone taken the debarkation scenic Cruisetrain Seward to Anchorage Airport

CruzCra-Z

Has anyone ever taken the debarkation scenic Cruisetrain  from Seward to Anchorage after their cruise? I can't find that much feedback on it.  What sort of timetable it is? how long it takes.  I have my airfare through NCL so I won't know for a long time when my flights are and was wondering if I should pre-purchase this now to ensure it is an option for us later.  I'd much rather do the train to Anchorage than a bus.  Any input would be great, thanks.

11 minutes ago, CruzCra-Z said:

Has anyone ever taken the debarkation scenic Cruisetrain  from Seward to Anchorage after their cruise? I can't find that much feedback on it.  What sort of timetable it is? how long it takes.  I have my airfare through NCL so I won't know for a long time when my flights are and was wondering if I should pre-purchase this now to ensure it is an option for us later.  I'd much rather do the train to Anchorage than a bus.  Any input would be great, thanks.

We took that train, but it was a regular train, not one for a cruise ship.

We were able to get seats on the special "Observation car", which has windows curving up the side to part of the roof, for a wonderful view.

The train stopped a couple of times at especially scenic points (most of it was very scenic!), for photo opportunities.  I don't know about the regular cars, but ours had an outdoor section at the back, so we could get views (and photos) without any interference from windows, etc.

The road was next to us for a part of the way, but not for all of it.

We were fortunate enough to see a bore tide coming in, something we had hoped to see, but figured we wouldn't be able to due to our schedule.  I hadn't realized that the train goes along that body of water for quite some time, so there was a good view, if the timing was right.

It was a good ending to a terrific vacation, given that it had to end sometime...

GC

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fartlek said:

Took the bus.  It is exactly the same route and about 1/3 to 1/2 the time.  The bus also leave at much better times and is very reasonably priced.  

Thanks but looking for train input. Glad it worked well for you.

41 minutes ago, CruzCra-Z said:

Thanks but looking for train input. Glad it worked well for you.

Also, I should have mentioned:  The "observation car" came with a meal and drinks.

The drinks were very nice, but we usually just drink Diet Coke, so not a huge plus for us.  (I'm forgetting; we may have decided to have a rare gin and tonic or something! 😉 )

And the meal sounded good, something like short ribs.  What can go wrong with those?

Uh, apparently something *can* go wrong with short ribs...  I barely ate any of it; DH got something else, and it was "better" = OK.

But we didn't take the train for the food, and we didn't focus on that in our planning the train.  We were too busy stuffing ourselves with lots of fresh halibut in Seward while we stayed there for an extra 2 days.  It was a *great* trip, from start to finish, still one of our favorites!

😁

GC

• Like 2

Just a fyi - if you are using NCL airfare, book the post cruise excursion before they start booking flights.  They will see it on your reservation and see if a late flight is possible, although no guarantee.  If they can't book a late enough flight, they'll cancel the excursion (eventually).

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/11/2022 at 1:31 PM, CruzCra-Z said:

We took it a few years ago and really enjoyed the scenery.  NCL may have changed the procedure since then, but on our trip we bought the tickets as a shore excursion.  Someone previously noted that the bus takes a bit less time and costs less, but the views from the train were spectacular.  Plus the ability to get up and stretch your legs, go to the buffet car for a drink or a snack makes it worth the extra time and money.  Our ship docked early, about 5:30 or 6:00 AM, and we had to be on board the train by about 7:00 or 7:30.  Since it was booked as an NCL tour, the ship's crew handled our luggage for us, and it was waiting for us when we reached our destination.  Our tour ticket simply provided us a guaranteed seat, but before boarding the train we stopped by a tent which the railroad had set up as temporary ticket office.  We exchanged our tour tickets for assigned seat tickets, then boarded the train.  We asked the ticket agent for forward facing seats on the left side of the train, which we had been told provided the more scenic views.

• Like 1

We did the train from Anchorage to Seward the day of embarkation. So the opposite direction you are asking about. I booked the train via the Travel Alaska - Alaska Railway website before the option came out from NCL as an excursion. Cost was about the same. We had reserved the Gold Dome ride that included meal and drinks. The Gold Dome car has the upper level seating with amazing views. Well worth the extra cost and time involved if you have enough time to make it work. If you do choose to to do this I would encourage you do it several months in advance as this space seems to fill up quite a bit in advance.  Good luck and enjoy Alaska. 

A couple years ago we took the train from Seward to Anchorage, but not as an excursion.  The scenery was beautiful!  As mentioned before, the train slows/stops at some points for scenery, such as salmon swimming in a creek (we stopped right on the bridge to get good pictures facing downward), moose near the tracks, or scenic glaciers.  It's about a 4 hour train ride.  We were heading all the way to Fairbanks, so took the train the next day out of Anchorage.  If the Gold Dome tickets are within your budget, it's a better ride.  Also, Alaska hires tour guides to narrate the trips so you get to learn things along the way, and they point out particularly scenic areas.

• Like 1

Question - we have the option to book this train on our embarkation leg.  I'm leaning toward booking through NCL because it looks like they'd handle the luggage bit once we get on the train.  Does anyone have experience with this?

Outside of luggage, would there be a difference besides price, booking through NCL vs DIY?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CruzinMel said:

Question - we have the option to book this train on our embarkation leg.  I'm leaning toward booking through NCL because it looks like they'd handle the luggage bit once we get on the train.  Does anyone have experience with this?

Outside of luggage, would there be a difference besides price, booking through NCL vs DIY?

IF the Observation car ("gold") is of interest, when we were looking - that's several years ago - the NCL version did not offer that at all.

We did do the Observation car and it was terrific!

I can't imagine what would be different other than luggage handling and the price, for the same class of service.  But I'd be curious to find out if there is anything different...

GC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruzinMel said:

The only other thing I can think of that might be different would be the seat assignment process.  When we booked through NCL we received a voucher which we then exchanged for our actual ticket.  When we were picking up our assigned seat tickets from the railroad agent, it seemed like many of our fellow passengers did not realize that they could request specific seating, so many of them ended up with backward facing seats, obstructed views, or seats on the less scenic side of the rail car.

Edited by The Traveling Man
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

IF the Observation car ("gold") is of interest, when we were looking - that's several years ago - the NCL version did not offer that at all.

We did do the Observation car and it was terrific!

I can't imagine what would be different other than luggage handling and the price, for the same class of service.  But I'd be curious to find out if there is anything different...

GC

So this is interesting - looking at the Alaska Railroad site, there are 2 options for the Coastal Classic route on the date of our embarkation in September.  Adventure Class prices out at $105/each, compared to the NCL offering of $119 (one wonders what the extra $14 gets you, if it's not luggage handling*.)  The Adventure Class offers the large picture windows and dining/adult beverages available for purchase, and it appears to be the NCL purchase, as you suggest.  (Adult military with proof of service is $84/person, and the NCL offering does not seem to have this same distinction, so if you're military, it's an obvious choice.)

The Goldstar service prices out slightly more than double - $213/person, unless one is active or retired adult military ($174/person with proof of service).  But Goldstar has the glass domed ceilings and the outdoor viewing platform that you mention, plus dining, soft drinks and 2 complimentary adult beverages.

*The price difference is because the railroad prices fluctuate - for the same trip in August, Goldstar is $243 ($198 military) and Adventure is $119 ($96 military).  So that's something to think about, depending on timing - we'd pay $119 to NCL, but our ticket would only cost $105.

So - it's the same excursion.  With NCL you get luggage handling but you miss minor price drops and if you are military, you way overpay.  There are still amazing views, even if you can't access the Observation car.  With the Goldstar service, you get a more fantabulous view, plus food, beverages, and 2 adult beverages, but there isn't luggage storage at the depot and you will have to schlep it around until you can check in at the port.  On our date, the train arrives in Seward at 11:15 am, so that could be a couple of hours of hauling luggage around.

This is a bucket list trip; I'm going to tote my own luggage.  🙂  Thank you so much for your input on this!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 11/5/2022 at 2:57 PM, The Traveling Man said:

The only other thing I can think of that might be different would be the seat assignment process.  When we booked through NCL we received a voucher which we then exchanged for our actual ticket.  When we were picking up our assigned seat tickets from the railroad agent, it seemed like many of our fellow passengers did not realize that they could request specific seating, so many of them ended up with backward facing seats, obstructed views, or seats on the less scenic side of the rail car.

was there any charge for the seat choice?

10 minutes ago, CruzCra-Z said:

was there any charge for the seat choice?

No, it was simply a matter of knowing the seating arrangements and asking for a particular seat.  We wanted forward facing seats on the West side of the train.  The railroad station agent had a large stack of tickets.  It only took them a second or two to thumb through the stack to find suitable tickets for us.  For anyone who did not ask for a particular seat, they simply pulled the next tickets off the top of the stack.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2022 at 1:17 PM, CruzinMel said:

Another difference I noticed is the NCL train leaves from airport at 1 pm, the private train leaves at 7, not sure I’d be up to that after a day of flying into anchorage 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

No, it was simply a matter of knowing the seating arrangements and asking for a particular seat.  We wanted forward facing seats on the West side of the train.  The railroad station agent had a large stack of tickets.  It only took them a second or two to thumb through the stack to find suitable tickets for us.  For anyone who did not ask for a particular seat, they simply pulled the next tickets off the top of the stack.

Thank you very much for this information.   I will be sure to request forward facing seats.   It the West side of the train the better option going to Sewald or Anchorage?

On 11/5/2022 at 9:39 PM, CruzinMel said:

So - it's the same excursion.  With NCL you get luggage handling but you miss minor price drops and if you are military, you way overpay.  There are still amazing views, even if you can't access the Observation car.  With the Goldstar service, you get a more fantabulous view, plus food, beverages, and 2 adult beverages, but there isn't luggage storage at the depot and you will have to schlep it around until you can check in at the port.  On our date, the train arrives in Seward at 11:15 am, so that could be a couple of hours of hauling luggage around.

This is a bucket list trip; I'm going to tote my own luggage.  🙂  Thank you so much for your input on this!

I was told directly by Alaskan Railroad and had it confirmed on this site that you are able to check in your luggage at the station and they next time you see your luggage will be in your stateroom.   They do not want anyone hauling their luggage on the train.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vacation44 said:

Thank you very much for this information.   I will be sure to request forward facing seats.   It the West side of the train the better option going to Sewald or Anchorage?

I would say that the West side gives you a better view in either direction.  It would be on the left side when traveling North from Seward to Anchorage, and on the right side when traveling South from Anchorage to Seward.

20 hours ago, JennKach said:

The cruise line chartered trains leave and arrive near the Anchorage airport.  Public trains use the train station on the north side of town.

Plus if you book your trip as an NCL shore excursion or charter, NCL also provides bus transit between downtown Anchorage and the airport as well as baggage handling.

• Like 1

@The Traveling Man, we are staying near the airport pre cruise and catching the hotel shuttle to the airport station for the excursion train leaving at 1:00 - am I correct in assuming all the checked bags get loaded onto a truck and driven to the pier, arriving well before the passengers?

Also, is there food and drink available on the chartered train as there is on the regular train?

2 minutes ago, Brian V said:

@The Traveling Man, we are staying near the airport pre cruise and catching the hotel shuttle to the airport station for the excursion train leaving at 1:00 - am I correct in assuming all the checked bags get loaded onto a truck and driven to the pier, arriving well before the passengers?

Also, is there food and drink available on the chartered train as there is on the regular train?

I took the NCL chartered train between Seward and Anchorage, so I know that food and beverages were available on board.  Others have reported on this thread of having access to food and beverages on the regular Alaska Railroad train.  When I rode the train several years ago the luggage was stored on a baggage car on the train, not transported by truck, and NCL took care of all baggage handling for us from the ship to our drop off point in downtown Anchorage.  I don't know what the procedure is now.  We went from ship to train, not train to ship as you will be doing, so I'm not sure whether you will need to reclaim your luggage in route or if it will be handled for you from start to finish.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, njkate said:

the private train leaves at 7, not sure I’d be up to that after a day of flying into anchorage 

We looked at that but 7am...the wife's response was a "hard no" (more colourful words but the same message) to that 🙂

Was prepared to book a bus transfer when I noticed the time on the chartered train, 1 in the afternoon departure was met with a much kinder response...and the $50 excursion credit didn't hurt 👍

• Like 1