Tipping in Australian Waters

wynkys

As many know, tipping is not something widely practiced in Australia, however, it prompts the question of what happens when

Quantum and Ovation begin their season Downunder.

I am booked on both ships, however, as a newbie to RCI I have read how even those with packages, slip a dollar note or two to

servers to ensure that they will get prompt follow-up service.

As an experienced traveller, I have no problem with this apart from the fact that our currency's lowest paper currency is five

dollars. Does this mean filling your pockets with coins before going drinking?

A first world problem but then, most of what is written on these boards falls into that category.

I am an Aussie and sail Australia, if you book and sail here there are no added tips. I never tip as I go, been known to tip at the end, not always not everyone, always try to be nice to the crew, always had great service, drink on the bar as I walk up, recognised a year later with a voice from the back calling out, Give her a Diet Coke, largest glass we have, plenty of ice no straw her hubby will have the package.

But if you want to tip as you go, I’d just slip them a 5 every half dozen drinks. Coins would be a pain for both you and them.

4 hours ago, wynkys said:

As many know, tipping is not something widely practiced in Australia, however, it prompts the question of what happens when

I am booked on both ships, however, as a newbie to RCI I have read how even those with packages, slip a dollar note or two to

As an experienced traveller, I have no problem with this apart from the fact that our currency's lowest paper currency is five

A first world problem but then, most of what is written on these boards falls into that category.

Remember they already got 18%, so definitely no need to tip extra.  That is customary in the USA, and certainly not customary everyplace else.  Also, tipping extra does not get you faster or better service, but it does make the person happy (who wouldn't be happy with getting a 40% tips).

So don't be pressured into tipping more

Edited by Joseph2017China

17 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Remember they already got 18%, so definitely no need to tip extra.  That is customary in the USA, and certainly not customary everyplace else.  Also, tipping extra does not get you faster or better service, but it does make the person happy (who wouldn't be happy with getting a 40% tips).

So don't be pressured into tipping more

I agree, don't be pressurised into tipping however the odd tip to the bar staff does improve the overall experience in my opinion, you are remembered and get a better pour.

Whether this is right or wrong is a whole different conversation but it is an American ship with American customs so as someone from the UK where tipping isn't customary I accept it as how it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tin can said:

I agree, don't be pressurised into tipping however the odd tip to the bar staff does improve the overall experience in my opinion, you are remembered and get a better pour.

Whether this is right or wrong is a whole different conversation but it is an American ship with American customs so as someone from the UK where tipping isn't customary I accept it as how it is.

Honestly, I never had any other experience but the same as everyone around me.....you may believe it or not, but tipping more than 18-20% is not normal except on Cruise Critic.

• Like 2

This has been a thought on my mind also.  We are doing 45 nights in 2024 out of Sydney B3B.  We get free drinks and always tip per drink.  We are often not in the same bar so tipping at the end of the evening doesn’t work.   We still want to tip our servers.  Should we bring $1 bills that they can exchange or do we need to convert to coins when we get to Sydney and carry those around?  

I was in Europe a couple weeks ago and as an American who goes out a lot and does a lot of things where tipping is common/expected, it was really awkward and uncomfortable for me to go out to eat in Europe and not even be given a receipt on which to give an optional tip. 

It's so engrained in our culture to tip as a way to say "thanks for serving me and/or doing something for me that I really probably could have done myself and thanks for doing a job that you probably hate etc", that for me to not give one, felt like I was being rude and unappreciative.

I left every restaurant with a sense of guilt for about a week. The second week I was like "wow this is really nice to walk into a restaurant and know exactly what something costs and then just pay and leave," lol. I still felt a little unappreciative, but I felt like I was getting such a good deal.

To top it off, the service was so much better. Wait and bar staff were quick, helpful, professional etc, and expected nothing in return. What a concept. 

But alas, I'm back in the US, and back to

tipping based on how much guilt I feel for having someone else do a menial sh!tty job while I'm out here living my best life and having money to pay for things, lol. 🙄

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Honestly, I never had any other experience but the same as everyone around me.....you may believe it or not, but tipping more than 18-20% is not normal except on Cruise Critic.

Speaking for me only:  I've tipped above and beyond the added-on 18% long before I came to CC, John Heald's Youtube Blog, or any other cruising social media site.  Maybe it's a cultural thing.  I'm originally form Canada but became and American when I was ~20 years old, after I served in the U.S. Army the first enlistment, but, as the son of a very successful Golf Pro (a Canadian Club/teaching pro), I was always taught to tip, tip according to the service received and generously if provided good service.  So, when I get a drink or a meal served to me, it's unfathomable to me not to tip even if it is included in the bill or in a country where tipping isn't customary.  YMMV

• Like 2

11 hours ago, wynkys said:

You will get a paper slip and you can leave a extra tip but they already get 18%.

I round it of to the dollar and sign it . Do this because it has been known for the crew to add their own tip .

Us Ozzie’s don’t tip and I have heard some bad stories. but it’s part of their wage.
So if you find someone that you are very happy with you can get a envelope from guests service and put their name on it at the end of the cruise.

Makes me wonder - Does cruise lines that cruise out of Aus., pay their crew that depend on tips, more than if they cruised out of the U.S. for example.  If not, I wouldn't try to get a contract to work on a ship out of Aus.  I know some in here say that minimum wage in Aus is higher than the U.S. but does that apply to the cruise industry.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Makes me wonder - Does cruise lines that cruise out of Aus., pay their crew that depend on tips, more than if they cruised out of the U.S. for example.  If not, I wouldn't try to get a contract to work on a ship out of Aus.  I know some in here say that minimum wage in Aus is higher than the U.S. but does that apply to the cruise industry.  

Good question, wonder if their income is different then when Ship is in some of these other locations. Lived on US/Canada Border where Waitresses in US made $2.35hr, was lot higher in Canada, but exchange rate was 25% difference. Though figuring the Bills with 25% or a sales tax of 4% on the dollar easier to figure then when moved to State with an odd 5.3% in one location and 7.3% in another

5 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

This has been a thought on my mind also.  We are doing 45 nights in 2024 out of Sydney B3B.  We get free drinks and always tip per drink.  We are often not in the same bar so tipping at the end of the evening doesn’t work.   We still want to tip our servers.  Should we bring $1 bills that they can exchange or do we need to convert to coins when we get to Sydney and carry those around?  

I definitely wouldn't convert to Aus coins - if you wish to tip just do it as you normally do with your $1 bills.

Most or all of the staff come with the ship and aren't Aussie's so I think they would much prefer USD, it's pretty hard to exchange AUD coin.  If they do want some AUD for shore leave etc.. it would be much easier for them to just exchange a few USD into AUD for what they need.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I don’t know, the crew all seem happy and enjoy their job.
We have a totally different wage system ,I know the American system works well but so does ours.

Personally , I find it embarrassing and degrading that a server or attend has over act ,hoping to get a tip.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I don’t know, the crew all seem happy and enjoy their job.
We have a totally different wage system ,I know the American system works well but so does ours.

Personally , I find it embarrassing and degrading that a server or attend has over act ,hoping to get a tip.

I never intended this to turn into a food fight.  But, I just can't turn the other cheek with this.

Are you saying that the crew operating out of U.S. Ports aren't happy in their jobs and that they have to beg for their peanuts?

Do you think that a serve who earns tips by providing the best service possible and even exceed the expected is degrading him/her self?  I call it professionalism!

Do you think that a below average or average server should earn the same as an above average or an over achiever?  

NOW, don't get me wrong, I don't have a say on how you guys down under do your business.  But, I don't think disrespecting those that work in other systems is the way to go.  

As a retired parking system Manager, which included valet parking, I noticed when I got hired on, the valet folks were required, by policy, to pool their tips, at the end of the night/shift, they would divide the tips equally.  The morale of the average and above average achievers was low.  So, I changed the policy and said if you earn the tip, keep the tip.  Well, the below average folks weeded themselves out and the average and above achievers made more money and were happy.  Not to mention that our customer satisfaction surveys and verbal complements went way way up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

I never intended this to turn into a food fight.  But, I just can't turn the other cheek with this.

Are you saying that the crew operating out of U.S. Ports aren't happy in their jobs and that they have to beg for their peanuts?

Do you think that a serve who earns tips by providing the best service possible and even exceed the expected is degrading him/her self?  I call it professionalism!

Do you think that a below average or average server should earn the same as an above average or an over achiever?  

NOW, don't get me wrong, I don't have a say on how you guys down under do your business.  But, I don't think disrespecting those that work in other systems is the way to go.  

As a retired parking system Manager, which included valet parking, I noticed when I got hired on, the valet folks were required, by policy, to pool their tips, at the end of the night/shift, they would divide the tips equally.  The morale of the average and above average achievers was low.  So, I changed the policy and said if you earn the tip, keep the tip.  Well, the below average folks weeded themselves out and the average and above achievers made more money and were happy.  Not to mention that our customer satisfaction surveys and verbal complements went way way up.

I not trying to show disrespect to anyone or say your system doesn’t work .

Its just a different system .

1 minute ago, Chiliburn said:

I not trying to show disrespect to anyone or say your system doesn’t work .

Its just a different system .

Well, I'll leave it at that.  But, that isn't how it reads.

I can't wait to visit your country one of these day. 

27 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Well, I'll leave it at that.  But, that isn't how it reads.

I can't wait to visit your country one of these day. 

Come on down, you will find us very similar but different.

I remember flying into New Zealand a few years ago and just as you walk out of customs there was a big sign.

Welcome to New Zealand and please don’t tip.         True 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Come on down, you will find us very similar but different.

I remember flying into New Zealand a few years ago and just as you walk out of customs there was a big sign.

Welcome to New Zealand and please don’t tip.         True 

Because of this board's policy I can't go into why I think that sign and policy is there.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Because of this board's policy I can't go into why I think that sign and policy is there.  

I know subject of the thread is about the crew not being tipped in Australian waters , I do feel for them if they aren’t getting a fair pay under our system. But that’s not our doing. 
I would just like to explain our point of view.We aren’t cheap miserable people.  We have a different system where you’re employer must pay a good wage .      If they don’t they go to jail .

https://business.gov.au/people/employees/employees-pay-leave-and-

entitlements

• Like 2

When cruising in Australia, all gratuities are included in the price. So a drink that is $14 when cruising in the USA will be $15 in Australia. The menus actually change. We cant remove prepaid gratuities as can be done in other countries. So while each time someone buys a drink it is only a small tip it is guaranteed to be a tip every time.

Interesting conversation.  So, I tip per the customary amounts only.  The cruise line industry has a customary way of tipping, and I just let it go at that.  I don't question a tip on a drink for 18% on a ship, and when I'm on land, in any country, I tip according to customs, and if it is customary not to tip, than I don't.  I don't bring personal beliefs into the formula. I don't hand out extra tips.  I don't do it at home either.  No way is right or wrong.  I prefer a certain way, but it does not bother me.  

Folks on the ship, are not paid based on local areas, they are paid by the cruise line contract.

So, like I said early, don't be pressured into tipping more - just because you base it on your own country, and the way things work.  

15 hours ago, BecAus said:

I definitely wouldn't convert to Aus coins - if you wish to tip just do it as you normally do with your $1 bills.

Most or all of the staff come with the ship and aren't Aussie's so I think they would much prefer USD, it's pretty hard to exchange AUD coin.  If they do want some AUD for shore leave etc.. it would be much easier for them to just exchange a few USD into AUD for what they need.

Yep, just don't think of yourself as being in Australia. Just stop by your bank, get $100 in US $20's then change them for singles onboard. Problem solved

20 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I know that ships that sail out of the UK pay the staff more than they do out of the US. Our minimum wage here in the UK does not apply to the staff in UK waters so this doesn’t replace the lower tips earned.

In the good times pre covid it was difficult to get staff here in the UK who could, and perhaps would prefer to be, in the Caribbean.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tin can said:

I know that ships that sail out of the UK pay the staff more than they do out of the US. Our minimum wage here in the UK does not apply to the staff in UK waters so this doesn’t replace the lower tips earned.

In the good times pre covid it was difficult to get staff here in the UK who could, and perhaps would prefer to be, in the Caribbean.

I think the difference between Australia and the UK is that Australians have the gratuities included in their cruise price whereas we in the UK don't so many choose to opt out. Surely on the ships that sail from Australia the crew are paid just as they would be if everyone paid the gratuities because in effect they have. 

• Like 1