Livorno (Florence) 2023

Mrs Humuhumu

We are scheduled to stop at Liverno on the Pursuit at the end of March 2023. We would like to go into the town of Florence and it is my understanding that it is a bit of a drive from the port. Does anyone have any good tips about how to get from the port to the City of Florence? I don't suppose Azamara provides shuttles but that we will be on our own. Any tips or advice would be helpful. Thank you!

Azamara, like most cruise lines, should offer "Florence on your own" which will get you to/from the city.  They usually also offer tours that are transportation and the tour.  Both options would be for a fee.  Many people opt to arrange private tours; you can try reviewing the Italy port of call board for suggested companies, reviews, etc.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mrs Humuhumu said:

We are scheduled to stop at Liverno on the Pursuit at the end of March 2023. We would like to go into the town of Florence and it is my understanding that it is a bit of a drive from the port. Does anyone have any good tips about how to get from the port to the City of Florence? I don't suppose Azamara provides shuttles but that we will be on our own. Any tips or advice would be helpful. Thank you!

Well it's been pre-covid but we used to take Trenitalia trains - they departed for Florence from Livorno Centrale station every half an hour or so and it took them some one and a half hour give and take ten mins to reach Florence. Takes less than 10 mins to get to Livorno Centrale from the port with a cab.

Forget no mention: trains arrive in Florence at Santa Maria Novella station, which is very centrally located - a 5 min walk to the Cathedral.

Edited by andrcan
Arrival info added

I have done the Azamara "Florence on your own" several times, covering much of what I had listed to see, as well as previously undiscovered places, which has resulted in a list as yet incomplete. I spend as much or as little time as I like at each point, ensuring I am back to the meeting place on time.

It can be a bit tricky getting a cab driver to take you from the port to the train station, as they would prefer to take you to Florence.

• Like 1

FLORENCE ON YOUR OWN!!

Azamara are normally tied up almost right in the town centre of Livorno.

Get off the ship, walk five minutes to the bottom of the Via Grande, buy bus tickets from the newsagents on the right hand side at the bottom of that road, get the bus outside the newsagents (blue route from memory, check), and in 5/8 minutes you are dropped off at the station.

Get off the train at Florence and you can see the architectural sights, 5 minute walk and you are there.

Repeat to get back to the ship.

Very easy, very reasonable price, and you are in control of what you want to see.

Simples!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/14/2022 at 9:15 PM, alfredo1 said:

FLORENCE ON YOUR OWN!!

Azamara are normally tied up almost right in the town centre of Livorno.

Get off the ship, walk five minutes to the bottom of the Via Grande, buy bus tickets from the newsagents on the right hand side at the bottom of that road, get the bus outside the newsagents (blue route from memory, check), and in 5/8 minutes you are dropped off at the station.

Get off the train at Florence and you can see the architectural sights, 5 minute walk and you are there.

Repeat to get back to the ship.

Very easy, very reasonable price, and you are in control of what you want to see.

Simples!!

This is what we have always done and it works well.   One tip is when buying your bus tickets from the newsagents stall is to buy 2 tickets for each person as this provides you with a return and saves time and hassle when you return to Livorno station, as often the bus is ready and waiting outside.  Don't for get to validate your tickets when you board the bus and your train tickets on the platform.

7 hours ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

Is there much to see in Livorno?

Not really, it's fine for a quick wander for an hour or so but that's it. We've done all the big hitting stuff in Florence, Pisa and the others. One time we hired a car, and drove to Lucca which is well worth a visit. Then out to Viareggio on the coast which was fine but by no means a must do!

On 10/16/2022 at 12:03 PM, Nippy Sweetie said:

Is there much to see in Livorno?

We enjoyed wa!king around Livorno, the waterfront further along from were the ship docks is interesting.

In the town is a good indoor food market and outdoor stalls se!!ing shoes and c!othing. 

A!so canals and a Fort you can visit, the Cafe's in town are much more reasonable than in tourist areas of Italy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

We enjoyed wa!king around Livorno, the waterfront further along from were the ship docks is interesting.

In the town is a good indoor food market and outdoor stalls se!!ing shoes and c!othing. 

A!so canals and a Fort you can visit, the Cafe's in town are much more reasonable than in tourist areas of Italy

We enjoyed it too, and I bought a very pretty dress at a reasonable price!

• Like 1