Entertainment

doowopbob

2 hours ago, Moonlion said:

What?? We'll be on the Neptune in May for the British Isles Explorer cruise with a stop in Liverpool  No Beatles show, not even the night before or night of our visiting Liverpool? 😉

It's an ashes year. Got to at least have yellow submarine to sing along to

2 hours ago, KBs mum said:

It's an ashes year. Got to at least have yellow submarine to sing along to

Haha!! I suspect most on here haven't a clue about the "Ashes". I recall being on the 2015 World Cruise, out of Australia, when the 2015 series was played. With 90% Australian pax, I was slightly in the minority. Mind you, after the 5th match, i had the bragging rights, even though I am from north of hadrian's wall.

The "Ashes" is a test series of 5 cricket matches played between England & Australia, every 2 years.

Who needs entertainment, the good natured ribbing was highly entertaining, especially after the disaster of the 1st test.😁

• Thanks 1

We are currently on the Sea and even though the first day line-up said there would be a Beatles night and an ABBA night it does not look like that will happen. We are on night five and at least two more nights will be special entertainers (a magician and a “multi-instrumentalist named Janice something, she is actually fabulous).

We would love love a Dancing Under the Stars event but I have never seen one … the lack of opportunities to dance is one of the big reasons we are looking around for other options for our next big vacation. We looooove Viking but Torshavn is usually people just awkwardly looking at one another while the band plays cover tunes and the vocalists compete with each other. 

The lectures on our September Viking cruise were poor.  Every word was read from a text and the visuals must have been prepared about 20 years ago.  

I want both good Entertainment and good lectures.  

The band in Torshavn and the Guitarist were both excellent however.

On Viking Sky we recently went on a tour of the tapestries on the staircases with the historian on board and he explained what was happening on each one to describe the Norman Conquest of England in 1066.

This was very worthwhile and informative.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Viking link to the 1066 events shown in the  Bayeux Tapestry (actually an embroidery )parts of which are depicted onboard the Viking ships,  are a little tenuous

William the Conqueror was a Norman, however his Great Great Great Grandfather was Rollo a Viking Chieftain  who attacked Northern France in AD 911 and became Duke of Northern France.

Whilst the artefacts are interesting I could never work out why they were on a 'Viking' ship. 

35 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

The Viking link to the 1066 events shown in the  Bayeux Tapestry (actually an embroidery )parts of which are depicted onboard the Viking ships,  are a little tenuous

William the Conqueror was a Norman, however his Great Great Great Grandfather was Rollo a Viking Chieftain  who attacked Northern France in AD 911 and became Duke of Northern France.

Whilst the artefacts are interesting I could never work out why they were on a 'Viking' ship. 

Rollo is buried in the Cathedral in Rouen (the same Cathedral Monet famously painted). If you take the Viking Normandy river cruise, they explain the history of the Viking conquest and the connection. Some of the suffixes of towns and families in Normandy are Nordic, not French. The Normans are very proud of their Viking roots and there is a model of a viking ship in the Cathedral.

If you take the Commonwealth D-Day excursion instead of the American one, it includes a visit to Bayeux to view the tapestry. The tapestry was suppose to be on display in England for the first time in 900 years but it was decided it was too fragile to move. The V&A Museum is in negotiations to obtain it on loan.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Norman = Norseman.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Particularly as it's now thought the tapestry was made in England by nuns at the instigation of the invaders. Billy the Conk has a lot to answer for 🤔

There is a replica of the 70 metre long Bayeux Tapestry in Reading museum.  Embroidered by 35 Victorian women in 1885 because “England should have a copy of its own”

Slight differences from the original as the women added ‘pants’ to cover the modesty of some naked men.  Apparently the male staff at the South Kensington Museum had added underwear to the hand coloured photos they were using !

47 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

There is a replica of the 70 metre long Bayeux Tapestry in Reading museum.  Embroidered by 35 Victorian women in 1885 because “England should have a copy of its own”

Slight differences from the original as the women added ‘pants’ to cover the modesty of some naked men.  Apparently the male staff at the South Kensington Museum had added underwear to the hand coloured photos they were using !

One believes 'tackle out' to be some sort of nasty foreign habit. 😁

4 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

Was on V Sea TA 03 Dec. 2022.  Both Abba and Beatles were performed.  Also, new to us, "Behind the Pen", songs performed by 4 singers.  Very enjoyable.  Did not have "Dancing Under the Stars".

We are on the Sea now and all three of these shows were in the first Viking Daily as upcoming events … all three have been replaced with other musical events.

Janice Martin is the special event musicality person Viking brought on board, she does a lively show with songs and a violin, etc. It is very good if she appears as an option for your future cruises.

• Thanks 1

How about the volume of the shows and general entertainment? On our recent Azamara cruise we were actually driven out of the show lounge due to the artificially set  loudness of performances. Others complained too. It was excruciating. We're sincerely hoping Viking entertainment will be provided at a reasonable sound level. 

On 12/19/2022 at 6:38 AM, MikeyB said:

We were on the Neptune last month.  I can happily concur that the Abba and Beatle shows are history.

For us first timers that’s a disappointment.  I was looking forward to those shows.  I understand for those of you who continued to cruise during the pandemic want something fresh.  I just hope they can replace it with something from the same musical era.

Edited by SoBaycruiser