Can 2 Cabins Share a retreat Cabana on different days?

The-Inside-Cabin

I always assumed that when you booked a retreat Cabana that it was for the exclusive use of the people who booked it.   

I never thought it was OK for you to let another couple use "your" cabana on day where you didn't plan to use the cabana. 

There are a few comments on another thread that indicate that on some ships - people might have held "parties" in the retreat - inviting people up for a few hours who were not on the original booking.    Or they let others use the cabana when they didn't plan to  - @Florida_gal_50said that on one cruise as many as 32 different people may have used the cabana over the length of the cruise (not at the same time but still)

I suspect the rules are "no sharing" & "no guests" but I couldn't really find that in writing anywhere.    Obviously, the Cabana staff is the ultimate enforcer - so whatever they may tolerate is "OK"  

Would like to hear anyone actual experience along these lines.   

I have rented cabanas 4 different times on 4 different ships and have NEVER seen any sharing...

I just got off the phone with Ship Services (they are the folks who handle the cabana reservations)   Here is the policy according to her at 12:05 PDT 13 October 2022 (of course getting policy from HAL over the phone is sometimes not accurate but FWIW) - Can't find anything in writing.

No sharing cabanas - No one can let someone else use their cabana if they are not using it.  

The people who booked the cabana can invite guests while they are present for $25 pp/per day.

Of course, whatever the Cabana staff will tolerate is probably different than the official "rules"

Other factors - was it very busy?   Did anyone in the retreat complain?

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I just got off the phone with Ship Services (they are the folks who handle the cabana reservations)   Here is the policy according to her at 12:05 PDT 13 October 2022 (of course getting policy from HAL over the phone is sometimes not accurate but FWIW) - Can't find anything in writing.

No sharing cabanas - No one can let someone else use their cabana if they are not using it.  

The people who booked the cabana can invite guests while they are present for $25 pp/per day.

Of course, whatever the Cabana staff will tolerate is probably different than the official "rules"

To me that is kind of a backwards policy. I would prefer someone was allowed to use the cabana if the original people wouldn't be using it, rather than having more people at one time there because they paid extra. It could get a bit crowded if people were allowed to pay for extra guests.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Is this @mcrcruiser with better grammar?  Still needs an eyeroll. 🙄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I thought I’d replied to you but I don’t see if.  I can pretty much guarantee no one has ever paid that $25.  Thank you for calling.  Some of us appreciate your effort while others just criticize every post on cc 🙄.  Tiresome. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I thought I’d replied to you but I don’t see if.  I can pretty much guarantee no one has ever paid that $25.  Thank you for calling.  Some of us appreciate your effort while others just criticize every post on cc 🙄.  Tiresome. 

We were commenting on another post on this subject that was about the  Koningsdam.  You replied there.   I started this topic to see if sharing Cabanas was rare or common.  .  .  

• Like 1

So if I rent a 2 person cabana and am in a family cruise group of 15, we can pay $25 each for the other 13 and all party hardy in the cabana area? That sounds like a horrible policy. Not very "Retreat" like that's for sure.

I too think that as long as the same number of people is utilizing the space (2 for a 2 person, 4 for a 4 person), why does it matter which 2 or 4? Who is sitting there keeping notes? I mean they rent them out daily as well, not just cruise length rentals so 14 different people could occupy one cabana in a week without question. 

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

So if I rent a 2 person cabana and am in a family cruise group of 15, we can pay $25 each for the other 13 and all party hardy in the cabana area? That sounds like a horrible policy. Not very "Retreat" like that's for sure.

I too think that as long as the same number of people is utilizing the space (2 for a 2 person, 4 for a 4 person), why does it matter which 2 or 4? Who is sitting there keeping notes? I mean they rent them out daily as well, not just cruise length rentals so 14 different people could occupy one cabana in a week without question. 

I see no issue if two are missing and 2 take their place.  32 is a whole different matter.  The $25  per day per person. That best not be happening because the area would be full. My cabana ends up costing about $800 cdn for 2 weeks so it's not cheap.  If it's overrun o wouldn't be happy 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

HAL may have set the prices and staffing based on a certain percentage of "no show days".  If the retreat becomes 100pct full every day that may not align with HALs business model or staffing plan. 

That’s the problem.  If everyone brings 2 friends the next thing you know all the outside lounge chairs are taken by those that paid zero.  Those that have paid get very little for a sizeable cash outlay.  There are days when I’m gone the entire day on a shorex.  It never occurred to me to send a couple up in my place.  The cabana guys just get a minimal break because I don’t require much from them.

• Like 4