1st Time Celebrity Cruiser - Some Newbie Questions - NCL Veteran

kenns

Hi All - 1st time going on Celebrity but have sailed with NCL and just did a cruise on Royal's Wonder of the Seas.

Booking / Room Type

In looking at the April 16, 2023 cruise on the Beyond, it shows a "cruise only" rate of $1,852 for a Concierge Class cabin and $1,638 for a Veranda cabin.

1. What does the concierge class get you for the extra $214pp?

2. I suspect the "cruise only" rate is the same as NCLs "Sail Away" rate, which means it doesn't include any of the perks: wifi, classic drink package, tips, etc.

3. I see there is the Aqua class which gets you access to Blu restaurant and access to the spa

3a. Does this include the meal at Blu - or just simply access?

If I select the $1,638 veranda, I then need to select which type of veranda: Edge Stateroom w/Infinite Veranda, Veranda Guarantee or Deluxe Porthole

1. What is special about the "Edge Stateroom", which BTW is $1,716 or $78 more per person

If I pick the $1,638 "Veranda Guarantee" option, I can add on the "All Included" option (classic drinks package, Wi-Fi, tips) which brings up the per person cost to $2,236.

1. So, "all-inclusive" for an extra $598 per person - seems like a pretty high increase? Or when you consider that tips will be $122.50 per person and TBD on drinks, maybe it's not a bad deal? I know you can upgrade the drink package as well, which I think we probably would - the wife likes nice wines and champagne 🙂

Anyways, so with All Included upgrade and the port fees/taxes added in, I get to a total cost of $4,757.78. The AquaClass room would be a total of $5,390.78 - so $633 more per person - is Blu and Spa Access worth that premium? As an alternative, do they offer weeklong or day passes to the spa?

Compared to the brand new NCL Prima, with their Free at Sea (drink package, Wi-Fi, 2 specialty restaurant credits, $50 shore ex credit) also on April 16, the total is $4,222.18. I was just surprised to see Celebrity be more expensive especially compared to NCL's brand new ship (yes, NCL has gotten more expensive lately and the Prima is akin to Celebrity/Princess, etc.). Does this total cost seem right to you?

For dining on Celebrity, we'd have Anytime Dining

1. Does that work the same as on NCL, where you can book in the app or literally just show up? I understand you need to make reservations for the specialty dining venues. 

2. If I purchase a specialty dining plan for Celebrity, can I make reservations ahead of time, or not until we board the ship?

Beverage Package

1. I understand that the Classic Package includes drinks up to $9, whereas the Premium goes up to $15 - what does a glass of Veuve cost on Celebrity Beyond?

2. Do both packages include coffees at the café? 

Sorry for 1,000,000 questions - I am just so used to NCL but very curious to trying Celebrity. Thank you in advance!

Edited by kenns
  • Like 1

Might work better checking with a TA, but to answer a few:

1. Concierge provides a few benefits such as better robe, snacks and a few other things. Ive done it if its a bit more, but that is too subjective. 

2. Not familiar with NCL, but yes, Cruise Only is that….no additions of covered gratuities, WiFi, drinks. Personally if you wife likes premium drinks, going AI and adding Premium is probably a good idea.

3.BLU is the same as the MDRs, not extra cost. Only the specialty restaurants on Celebrity are extra. The 4 MDRs on Beyond, BLU and Lumanae are all included. 

Enjoy. Den

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Denny01 said:

3.BLU is the same as the MDRs, not extra cost. Only the specialty restaurants on Celebrity are extra. The 4 MDRs on Beyond, BLU and Lumanae are all included. 

Just to clarify this: the regular MDR is for Concierge and below cabins, BLU is for AquaClass, and Lumanae is for suites.

Whether or not All Included makes sense depends on how much you drink.  It also includes bottled water, espresso based drinks, soda, etc.  Usually makes sense if you drink around 3 alcohol drinks a day however it depends.  Upgrading to premium also depends on how much you drink a day and what you drink.  You can always stay with classic and just pay the few dollar difference per drink.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We now only book suites, but before that we booked only Aqua Class because of Blu and not liking the MDR and dinning with hundreds of people.  We get the premium drinks package with the Suites or Retreat and for us the big difference is the selections of wine by the glass and premium alcohol.  The $9 wines are mostly cheaper wines that sell for under $12 a bottle retail.  I like to have a shot of Mcallen 12-year-old Scotch before dinner and at $15 it is included in the Celebrity premium package, at least it was on the Reflection in August. After our Reflection cruise in August, we sailed in a Suite on the HAL Oosterdam and the same Mcallen Scotch was $18 a shot and not included in the drinks package. I know the OP is not looking at booking the Retreat but he should know that on the Beyond he will not have a traditional open balcony in less than a suite unless he can snag one of the aft facing Concierge class cabins.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

One of the best perks with Blu (by booking aqua class) is you can order off the MDR and Blu menu.  However, some ships have currently limited that such as the Equinox.

I really don't understand Concierge, I suppose if it's really cheap it's worth the capt club points.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

One of the best perks with Blu (by booking aqua class) is you can order off the MDR and Blu menu.  However, some ships have currently limited that such as the Equinox.

If that is true, it will take away one of the reasons many book Aqua. We booked Aqua pre Covid for Blu and the smaller more intimate dining room, never cared that much for the menu, but we were always able to order from the MDR menu. We were able to order off the MDR in the Luminae on the Reflection in August but not sure about Blu.

2 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

If that is true, it will take away one of the reasons many book Aqua. We booked Aqua pre Covid for Blu and the smaller more intimate dining room, never cared that much for the menu, but we were always able to order from the MDR menu. We were able to order off the MDR in the Luminae on the Reflection in August but not sure about Blu.

I've experienced this first hand, Blu on the Millie and Infinity allow you to order anything off of the MDR.  The Equinox (I was on in April, June and July-August) said they changed the rules in July, you can order the timeless classics off of the MDR but not the rotational items.

9 hours ago, kenns said:

Hi All - 1st time going on Celebrity but have sailed with NCL and just did a cruise on Royal's Wonder of the Seas.

Booking / Room Type

In looking at the April 16, 2023 cruise on the Beyond, it shows a "cruise only" rate of $1,852 for a Concierge Class cabin and $1,638 for a Veranda cabin.

1. What does the concierge class get you for the extra $214pp?

2. I suspect the "cruise only" rate is the same as NCLs "Sail Away" rate, which means it doesn't include any of the perks: wifi, classic drink package, tips, etc.

3. I see there is the Aqua class which gets you access to Blu restaurant and access to the spa

3a. Does this include the meal at Blu - or just simply access?

If I select the $1,638 veranda, I then need to select which type of veranda: Edge Stateroom w/Infinite Veranda, Veranda Guarantee or Deluxe Porthole

1. What is special about the "Edge Stateroom", which BTW is $1,716 or $78 more per person

If I pick the $1,638 "Veranda Guarantee" option, I can add on the "All Included" option (classic drinks package, Wi-Fi, tips) which brings up the per person cost to $2,236.

1. So, "all-inclusive" for an extra $598 per person - seems like a pretty high increase? Or when you consider that tips will be $122.50 per person and TBD on drinks, maybe it's not a bad deal? I know you can upgrade the drink package as well, which I think we probably would - the wife likes nice wines and champagne 🙂

Anyways, so with All Included upgrade and the port fees/taxes added in, I get to a total cost of $4,757.78. The AquaClass room would be a total of $5,390.78 - so $633 more per person - is Blu and Spa Access worth that premium? As an alternative, do they offer weeklong or day passes to the spa?

Compared to the brand new NCL Prima, with their Free at Sea (drink package, Wi-Fi, 2 specialty restaurant credits, $50 shore ex credit) also on April 16, the total is $4,222.18. I was just surprised to see Celebrity be more expensive especially compared to NCL's brand new ship (yes, NCL has gotten more expensive lately and the Prima is akin to Celebrity/Princess, etc.). Does this total cost seem right to you?

For dining on Celebrity, we'd have Anytime Dining

1. Does that work the same as on NCL, where you can book in the app or literally just show up? I understand you need to make reservations for the specialty dining venues. 

2. If I purchase a specialty dining plan for Celebrity, can I make reservations ahead of time, or not until we board the ship?

Beverage Package

1. I understand that the Classic Package includes drinks up to $9, whereas the Premium goes up to $15 - what does a glass of Veuve cost on Celebrity Beyond?

2. Do both packages include coffees at the café? 

Sorry for 1,000,000 questions - I am just so used to NCL but very curious to trying Celebrity. Thank you in advance!

Concierge class doesn't get you a lot from what I can tell. Access to a concierge who might be able to help you with reservations and suck onboard? Champaign in your room one day. And I do think the room locations are sometimes better on some ships?

Cruise Only rate is the same as NCL's Sail Away rare, except you still get to choose your room.

Aqua Class gets you dinners in Blu instead of the MDR. Note: Blu is only open for dinner.

I think the "Edge" stateroom is just the infinite varanda option?

Coming from NCL myself, I would definitely take the Always Included. The tips alone add up a lot. On NCL, you have to pay the daily service charge and the tips on the drink package and specialty dining. I believe that totals up to something like $40/day/person? I think it's $16/day for DSC, $20/ day for drinks, and $27/week for dining? So don't forget to tack those onto your Prima calculations.

For anytime dining, you can make reservations ahead of time or just show up.

If you do the specialty dining, you can book your reservations ahead of time online as well.

Unlike NCL, specialty coffees from the onboard coffee shop and bottled water are included in the classic drink package. Cookies and pastries from the coffee shop are also included.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Aqua Class gets you dinners in Blu instead of the MDR. Note: Blu is only open for dinner.

Just a quick clarification -- Blu is open for breakfast and also for dinner.  It is not open for lunch.  It is the assigned MDR for passengers in  Aqua Class staterooms.  It is a smaller venue than the MDR and has a different menu.

1 minute ago, Northern Aurora said:

Just a quick clarification -- Blu is open for breakfast and also for dinner.  It is not open for lunch.  It is the assigned MDR for passengers in  Aqua Class staterooms.  It is a smaller venue than the MDR and has a different menu.

Oh crap! You are correct. Blu *is* open for breakfast. Can't believe I forgot that. Had breakfast there every day when I was in Aqua class.

If money is not an issue Aqua has nice perks. Blue is a smaller dinning room just for Blue.  It has great service and the menu is  a little different than the MDR.  That said if you want something off the MDR menu that will get it for you.  The Edge class ships are really nice.  

16 hours ago, kenns said:

I know you can upgrade the drink package as well, which I think we probably would - the wife likes nice wines and champagne

DH & I are recently off Beyond. We started out with the Classic, but then upgraded to Premium after 3 days as we had some non-refundable OBC. We are wine-drinkers too, but far from connaisseurs in any way. We found the premium wine-selection to be rather limited, though what was offered was perfectly okay. Actually, our favorite red in the MDR turned out to be a Rioja that was included in Classic. The Classic also included a surprisingly good Chilean Sauvignon Blanc. At least in World Class bar (next to al Bacio on deck 4) you can also get a good Cava with Classic (personally, I applaud Celebrity for bringing in Cavas to hopefully replace some of the cheap Proseccos).

Wine is very subjective indeed, but I would not automatically assume that with Classic all you will get is cheap plonk. You can also calculate whether it really makes sense to upgrade just in hope of better wines, or if it would rather be worth to pay as you go for the occasional glass of Veuve.🙂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Concierge class doesn't get you a lot from what I can tell. Access to a concierge who might be able to help you with reservations and suck onboard?

My mind truly went into the gutter when I saw this.  I'll just say that a concierge that is willing to do this has a lot of value, depending...

Distraction over.  Please carry on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/14/2022 at 9:36 AM, kenns said:

I've only sailed twice so far with X, once on the Edge in the Retreat and once on the Apex in an Infinite Veranda (i.e. Balcony), but more than 30 times with NCL, so my knowledge is no where near as great as @JamieLogical who also has taken lots of cruises with NCL and several with X.  That said, my favorite restaurant on the Edge class ships is Blu.  We ate there for breakfast and dinner most days when we sailed in the Retreat (similar to the Haven on NCL).  Blu is reserved for Aqua class passengers, but those traveling in a higher class, such as Retreat, also can eat there.  I think the menu and atmosphere there are far superior to Luminae, the dedicated restaurant for the Retreat.  We only ate in Luminae for lunch on embarkation day, once for breakfast, and once for dinner.  As others have stated, the MDRs (there are four on Edge class ships) are available to all, while Blu and Luminae are free but only open to passengers in the appropriate cabin category.  I think you'll find X a real treat when compared to NCL.

Edited by The Traveling Man
  • Like 1

We have sailed on carnival once and HAL once and Royal several times. For years now we only sail on Celebrity. That being said we always get a guaranteed veranda. Suites would be great but too pricey for us. Never had any interest in Aqua mainly because we have been extremely happy. We very much enjoy the food in the MDR. We also at times enjoy having lunch at the OceanView, and at the Spa cafe.

We have purchased the concierge cabins. It gives you more points when you are trying to go to elite and elite plus, otherwise the difference in price is not worth it.

I don't drink allot but we always get the drink package. That way you can try all the drinks you want and not worry about the bill you are adding to.

• Like 1