Sugar and Fake Sugar

CLOU

I know I have read somewhere recently on this forum about the new sugar dispensers and people's frustration with them.  I think there was a mention of fake sugar (otherwise known as Splenda, Stevia, Equal, etc.) but I can't remember the details.  I thought I read that one of those was also available in the new containers but I can't remember what it was.  Certainly, they can't have containers with all options available.  Just trying to find out if I have to being my own packet along.  My husband will manage to deal with the sugar dispenser.  Any info would be appreciated.

42 minutes ago, CLOU said:

I know I have read somewhere recently on this forum about the new sugar dispensers and people's frustration with them.  I think there was a mention of fake sugar (otherwise known as Splenda, Stevia, Equal, etc.) but I can't remember the details.  I thought I read that one of those was also available in the new containers but I can't remember what it was.  Certainly, they can't have containers with all options available.  Just trying to find out if I have to being my own packet along.  My husband will manage to deal with the sugar dispenser.  Any info would be appreciated.

Splenda came in a dispenser and I hated it. The last time I went ashore and bought some Splenda packets. Taking my packets the next time. I find with the dispensers I either use too much or too little. 

1 hour ago, Emdee said:

Splenda came in a dispenser and I hated it. The last time I went ashore and bought some Splenda packets. Taking my packets the next time. I find with the dispensers I either use too much or too little. 

Have my box of Splenda packed and it will be ready to board soon!😁

nancy

• Like 2

Just now, jsiegel said:

Bring your own artificial sweetner. Most of the dispensers just say "Sweetener" and it's impossible to get any out unless you remove the lid.  

Jackie

That was my experience on the ovation so I’m being Splenda packets to the quest

Nancy

• Like 1

You shouldn't have to bring your own but perhaps you should be limited to a few choices. One thing I noticed in the past was that most of the empty paper packets were blown away into the ocean when sitting at an outdoor venue. That is not good for the environment. If you bring your own paper packets, you might be contributing to the problem of items flying off the decks of cruise ships on windy days. 

The new dispensers for sugar and for artificial sweeteners are a total joke.  The sugar dispenser gets clogged up and is unreliable.  The small dispenser which has the artificial sweetener is even worse: you would have to shake it for five minutes (really) to get enough out to equal one packet.  I asked the barista in Seabourn Square which artificial sweetener was in the container and he didn't know.  I guess it doesn't really matter because you're not going to get any out of the shaker anyway.

A hundred bucks to a donut that these dispensers will be replaced soon.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, skybluewaters said:

I hope you are right as this was one of the few glitches on our cruise. We ended up buying our own packets in Gozo but we made sure they couldn't blow away by screwing them up and putting them in a small bowl on the table.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bjkrlk said:

They have them all but you have to ask for what you want - but not in packets. I bring my own. Easy. 

Yes they do. I asked for splenda and got a bottle that said splenda.

2 hours ago, Astride said:

You shouldn't have to bring your own but perhaps you should be limited to a few choices. One thing I noticed in the past was that most of the empty paper packets were blown away into the ocean when sitting at an outdoor venue. That is not good for the environment. If you bring your own paper packets, you might be contributing to the problem of items flying off the decks of cruise ships on windy days. 

I only drink one cup of coffee in my cabin at 6.00 am so the chance of it flying through the closed door isn’t there.

Agree that people should be careful or they will fly into the ocean. 

2 hours ago, skybluewaters said:

The new dispensers for sugar and for artificial sweeteners are a total joke.  The sugar dispenser gets clogged up and is unreliable.  The small dispenser which has the artificial sweetener is even worse: you would have to shake it for five minutes (really) to get enough out to equal one packet.  I asked the barista in Seabourn Square which artificial sweetener was in the container and he didn't know.  I guess it doesn't really matter because you're not going to get any out of the shaker anyway.

They were there pre-pandemic as well. Our last cruise pre was Dec/Jan 2019/20 and that's what they had then. I don't use any sugar or sweetener, but DH does and we'll be taking packets next cruise. 

Thanks for all the info. I think I will pack some packets.  If you can get the sweetener by opening up the dispenser, I can deal with that to avoid the paper waste and blowing.  If it is totally inaccessible, than I will use my packets.  Plus, I have recently switched from preferring Splenda to Stevia, so I wonder if they have that.