Valencia and Malaga Excursions

Celebrity Cruisers:

Has anyone taken excursions for Valencia and Malaga?

Most cruise excursions are focused on eating and drinking.  Valencia is a beautiful city with lots of history.  I even checked with Spain Day Tours and didn't find much.  What is going on?   Would prefer to have a guided tour and not on my own.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

In Malaga, did the tour to El Alhambra Granada tour and it was fantastic. Beautiful drive to Granada and outstanding tour through El Alhambra which is part Islamic design with Catholic redesign. One of our better ship tours. Not crowded bus and tours were broken into smallish groups. 

Den

• Like 3

We took a Celeb excursion that covered major sites , historic etc and then went to the modrrn city..forgot which museum  we visited. Time to grab  a bite to eat, shop and take photos.  We did not feel rushed or cramped.

It is an amazing city and the X tour had a  ships's rep along with us, top notch guides... was one of our fav  port days !

I'd consider an X excursion

3 hours ago, Denny01 said:

In Malaga, did the tour to El Alhambra Granada tour and it was fantastic. Beautiful drive to Granada and outstanding tour through El Alhambra which is part Islamic design with Catholic redesign. One of our better ship tours. Not crowded bus and tours were broken into smallish groups. 

Den

We did this with Spain Day Tours, really wonderful day.  They did the same, broke the bus into small groups once we arrived at Alhambra.

7 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Den

"La" Alhambra, not "El."

33 minutes ago, marazul said:

"La" Alhambra, not "El."

You are wrong in saying ‘not El’, it has and is referred as El and Al And even La in various documents and sites. The Al - The - is already part of the name The Red One in Arabic: Al Ham-ra. 

we can play this game all day. 

den

3 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

You are wrong in saying ‘not El’, it has and is referred as El and Al And even La in various documents and sites. The Al - The - is already part of the name The Red One in Arabic: Al Ham-ra. 

we can play this game all day. 

den

You are wrong. In current usage (the last few centuries) Alhambra is feminine. But you had your say. 

Valencia is a really easy DIY day and is a" flat"city so easy on the feet.The historic area is quite compact, so once in the centre (local bus from port) easy walking around.  The modern, futuristic area is separate but also easily reached by public bus from the port.Or the HOHO might suit you.

The Valencia Tourist Info website is most useful and there are many others with suggestions, and you could bring up all previous Valencia threads and replies by using the SEARCH facility, then reading them and picking up info that way, and the same for Malaga which offers many sightseeing options both in and outside of the city. Many many previous threads for Malaga.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/15/2022 at 12:56 PM, Denny01 said:

Den

2nd on the Al Hambra tour. We did the same in May and it was incredible.

• 1 month later...

Malaga is a lovely city with lots to see, including a hoho bus, however if you have never been to Granada….  No comparison.  

I would always use the ship tour to get to Granada.  The long road journey and the difficulty securing tickets really makes a guided tour a better option.  The Alhambra palace is not the only thing to see in Granada, we have been there for a couple of weekends and we were kept busy without a visit.  Walking and all the tapas bars seemed to keep us busy. 

we have been to Valencia on a cruise.  It was ages ago (when the adventure of the seas sailed from Malaga - that was such a good cruise).  We did a diy and did not visit the oceanographic exhibition.  We walked round the old part because I wanted to see La lonja de seda.  We then took a local bus to the beach.  We have ready access to the beach throughout the year so we don’t tend to seek out beaches when cruising, but Valencia was worth it.  It was a beautiful beach.  

We must have taken a shuttle in and out of town. 

We were in both of these ports in Nov and took free walking tours. You just tip the guide at the end of the tour based on what you feel the value was. Some give as little as 5 euro and as much as 50. We took the Essential Valencia tour from FreeTourValencia dot com. in previous stops in Valencia we went to Oceanografic and it was an amazingly huge aquarium. Another time we went to the Science Museum which was also fantastic. 

We did a free walking tour with Guru Walk in Malaga years ago and had friends who had never been there so we booked them again. But then we were offered space in a different tour with other friends. But those who took our spots loved it. On both tours you walk through the city for 2 or more hours and hear lots of history. We usually like to see out free walking tours wherever we go. another time we were in Malaga we went to La Alhambra but you really need a long port day. I think the drive is at least 1 1/2-2 hours away. This year we didn’t have that kind of time, this the choice of walking tour. 

no matter what you choose, have fun. These are 2 beautiful cities. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

In Valencia, if you're a photographer, you'll have fun in the Ciudad de las Artes Y de las Ciencias, see this: 

Ciudad de las Artes y de las Ciencias / Valencia (Overview) - Santiago Calatrava – Architects & Engineers

I just took a public bus to it, but I imagine a taxi could take you there as well.  Then I took a bus to the old town area of Valencia.  

Our cruise line ported in another place closer to Granada (Alhambra) so I didn't take an excursion from Malaga to there.  But Malaga is a nice city; I just walked around.  I went up to the bullring (I believe by bus, located near beautiful park not far from the port. I think I just walked out into the city from the port and just explored the city.  Sometimes I have more fun doing that than going on an excursion.

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea