Logistics with 2 young kids

jewelybelle

Hi! We will be on an 8 day southern Caribbean cruise on Carnival Mardi Gras, departing June 10. We are going with my extended family but in my cabin will be my husband, 5 year old son and ALMOST 2 year old daughter. I have looked through past posts but I'm having trouble finding information on these questions. 

1) We are in a balcony cabin on deck 11. What is the extra bed situation for these cabins? Is it a pull out couch or one of those bunks? If it's a pull out couch will a crib fit with the couch pulled out?

2) The baby will turn 2 a week after we disembark. What are the chances that she will be able to do Club Ocean? Are the strict about the cut off or if she can hang, it will be okay?

3) I think I understand no water activities onboard of not potty trained. I understand why, just wanting to make sure I got that right and plan accordingly. I may try and see if I can get her potty trained before we go. I feel like I would still want to put a swim diaper on her just in case of accidents, would that be a problem?

4) We're doing Aruba, does anyone know if under 4 are allowed in the waterpark on Palm Island? It looks a perfect excursion for us, but it doesn't have a ticket for under 4. It wasn't clear if under 4 they don't need a ticket or if they are not allowed under 4.

5) Excursion ideas for Aruba, Curacao or Grand Turk? Both kids love the beach and swimming, we like hiking (big one walks well, and I can put the little one in a carrier), not having to think about food is a plus.

11 minutes ago, jewelybelle said:

Hi! We will be on an 8 day southern Caribbean cruise on Carnival Mardi Gras, departing June 10. We are going with my extended family but in my cabin will be my husband, 5 year old son and ALMOST 2 year old daughter. I have looked through past posts but I'm having trouble finding information on these questions. 

1) We are in a balcony cabin on deck 11. What is the extra bed situation for these cabins? Is it a pull out couch or one of those bunks? If it's a pull out couch will a crib fit with the couch pulled out?

Will probably be tight. The crib won't be more than a pack and play. 

2) The baby will turn 2 a week after we disembark. What are the chances that she will be able to do Club Ocean? Are the strict about the cut off or if she can hang, it will be okay?

She won't be allowed in. There are usually hours you can accompany her, but you won't be able to just drop off.

3) I think I understand no water activities onboard of not potty trained. I understand why, just wanting to make sure I got that right and plan accordingly. I may try and see if I can get her potty trained before we go. I feel like I would still want to put a swim diaper on her just in case of accidents, would that be a problem?

Correct. No swim diapers allowed. In order to allow swim diapers the filtering has to be different.

4) We're doing Aruba, does anyone know if under 4 are allowed in the waterpark on Palm Island? It looks a perfect excursion for us, but it doesn't have a ticket for under 4. It wasn't clear if under 4 they don't need a ticket or if they are not allowed under 4.

5) Excursion ideas for Aruba, Curacao or Grand Turk? Both kids love the beach and swimming, we like hiking (big one walks well, and I can put the little one in a carrier), not having to think about food is a plus.

You should visit the ports of call boards for your ports for excursion ideas.

• Thanks 1

A quad balcony cabin has a couch that does not pull out.  They remove the bolsters and put a pad on top to make twin size.  Fourth bed is an upper bunk.  
Grand Turk the beach is right by the pier, plus the pool at Margaritaville.  Pool is free, food a bit expensive.  I like to just walk around curaçao, but it might be a bit much for the kid.  Very colorful place.  I’m sure ports of call can recommend beaches.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

4 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

A quad balcony cabin has a couch that does not pull out.  They remove the bolsters and put a pad on top to make twin size.  Fourth bed is an upper bunk.

I did a little more research and realized this is what we have. I think the crib (either we'll bring our or I'll call to request one) can go right next to the couch. I'm assuming the upper bunk has a guardrail? My son is going to love that.  

In Aruba, see if Phillip's Animal Garden is still open.  That was great pre-covid.  Sometimes kids can move up or down an age group, but unfortunately insurance will not cover a child under 2 in a kids club that starts at 2, so you will not be allowed to drop off.  

On 10/15/2022 at 1:55 PM, jewelybelle said:

Excursion ideas for Aruba, Curacao or Grand Turk?

are you bringing a car seat for the 2 yo? if you are going to take taxis, I recommend Cosco Scenera NEXT as a rear facing only seat.

For the 5 yo you could get away with using a no back booster like Cosco Rise or Harmony Juvenile.

7 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

are you bringing a car seat for the 2 yo? if you are going to take taxis, I recommend Cosco Scenera NEXT as a rear facing only seat.

For the 5 yo you could get away with using a no back booster like Cosco Rise or Harmony Juvenile.

We have the Cosco and a dolly because even though this is our first cruise I flew a lot with our first when he was little (lived cross-country from the grands...). I hadn't thought about a car seat for him so a backless booster would be a good option. I just rented a cabana at the cruise center in Grand Turk, but might for the other ports. Somewhat related, what do people do about strollers? I'm thinking I maybe don't need it between the car seat on a trolley and the an ergo carrier?

13 hours ago, jewelybelle said:

Somewhat related, what do people do about strollers?

super necessary if you are on an Alaska or European cruise, imho, but if you are just going to the beach in the Caribbean - nope. Mine gave up his stroller at 14 months, so I am no help.

I'd, however, bring a stroller and NEXT instead of a dolly and Next. This combination will be a lot more versatile to use.

A couple of good links:

https://community.babycenter.com/groups/a10635/traveling_with_children

photos of kids traveling in car seats (not in cars)  - https://community.babycenter.com/groups/a6680085/traveling_with_children_photos

kWlMJX4LlBn0diSHW3psarp13ugNuki4_lg.jpg.4d0ef7659a9619425c4c3788e8679ba8.jpg19fc870e3a1a4f6ef926ec3005367cb6.thumb.jpg.aafef26dd5f3c9dc0d71b4475e72a01c.jpg6a00d8341ca9bc53ef01b8d1f0cc16970c-250wi.jpg.c46f1e3cea6de7c462ed69f5479f83e3.jpg

images.jpg.6413f6213c2d78ea557c48a352f49347.jpg

and this is how we traveled with our no back booster: Harmony Juvenile (very close to Cosco Rise). If your 5 yo is over 40# and at least average height, you could look into Bubblebum. It's an inflatable booster which has a 40# min and does have a good seat belt fit on children over 40#. We didn't travel extensively, so a $13 Cosco Rise/Harmony Youth/Juvenile booster which doesn't deflate was a good option for us a couple of times a year.

And t20181224_152934.jpg.bd2c1ff7ec6ca475d0b9864aa216332c.thumb.jpg.b7c7df14eb70658ab97db571a46ddc3d.jpg

image.jpeg.9c942caa41715517b79a774047e5cdc1.jpeg

Strapping the carseat to an umbrella stroller would be perfect I think. I'm going to use my carseat trade in coupon for a single umbrella stroller for travel. I love my double jogger, especially since the 5 yo still occasionally rides when we have a lot of walking or a long day but no way is it coming on a cruise with me. 

• Like 1