Where to stay??

cruzlover

We are sailing on MSC Meraviglia in April and have never sailed from Brooklyn. We are taking Amtrak into Penn Station and sailing from Brooklyn the next day. It seems like the best option is to take the Ferry from Pier 11/Wall Street Terminal.

I don’t think we want to stay in Brooklyn so we are trying to decide if

1) we should stay somewhere within walking distance of Penn Station and take the subway the next morning or

2) head straight to the Pier 11/Wall Street area when we get to Penn or

3) possibly somewhere in between near a subway stop.

Any thoughts?

What time of day and do you want to do anything in Manhattan when you arrive? What day of the week?

Both options are reasonable. Going to Brooklyn is reasonable, although I'm not sure the ferry is convenient to "things to do in Brooklyn" other than the cruise terminal. There's a lot of "it depends" in your question! I will say the Penn Station area has gotten MUCH more expensive lately. Haven't priced hotels Downtown or Brooklyn...

I’d stay in Financial District which is near the ferry. Nicer properties and not expensive because the area is not fully back since many still work from home. 

You can visit South Street Seaport, World Trade Center/9/11museum, Battery Park, all within walking distance. Plenty of places to eat. Put in Financial District in a search matrix like Kayak to see what comes up for your dates. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

I’d stay in Financial District which is near the ferry. Nicer properties and not expensive because the area is not fully back since many still work from home. 

You can visit South Street Seaport, World Trade Center/9/11museum, Battery Park, all within walking distance. Plenty of places to eat. Put in Financial District in a search matrix like Kayak to see what comes up for your dates. 

I’m leaning toward this option. I found a Hampton Inn that seems reasonable. It’s an 8 min walk from Fulton St subway stop and a 15 min walk to Pier 11/Wall St or we may Uber

Thanks so much for your input

• Like 1

You can stay in the Brooklyn Marriott on Adams Street we refer all to stay.

Close to the pier with a short drive along the East River.

Also many restaurants long Court St, Smith Street and Montague Street. After you can take a walk along area called DUMBO by the Brooklyn Bridge (even walk across).

Also the Famous Promenade look at Lower Manhattan Financial Center and South Street Seaport.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

Good advice - and an easy ferry ride across the East River to Bklyn Cruise Terminal.

On 10/17/2022 at 8:51 AM, Langoustine said:

I live in NYC; I would NOT suggest staying in the NY Penn Station area unless you want to buy drugs on 8th Avenue while you are here.

FWIW, I've walked past Penn Station at least a dozen times between July 2021 and August 2022 and never been offered drugs nor have I seen any such transactions.

• Like 2

On 10/16/2022 at 8:43 PM, cruzlover said:

I don’t think we want to stay in Brooklyn so we are trying to decide if

1) we should stay somewhere within walking distance of Penn Station and take the subway the next morning or

2) head straight to the Pier 11/Wall Street area when we get to Penn or

3) possibly somewhere in between near a subway stop.

Any thoughts?

It is difficult to give good advice without knowing what is important to you. For example, are you looking simply for an inexpensive place to stay overnight, with location not important (other than for logistical convenience)? Or are you looking to conduct some business, enjoy some recreation, or do some sightseeing as well? There's nothing inherently wrong with staying in Brooklyn, so it would be useful to know why staying in that borough would dismissed. From downtown Brooklyn, there would be a bus (route B61) that takes passengers to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.

No matter what the plan is, do keep in mind that it is a few blocks between the subway and the ferry at Pier 11. A short and easy walk, but be certain that you are facile with your baggage. But as to doing the subway on the day of arrival at Penn Station, on the day of departure by cruise vessel, or splitting it in half by staying in-between, I don't see significant differences among those choices. All are fine.

Finally, note that there are many ferry docks throughout Manhattan, and a single fare, with a free and easy transfer between ferry vessels at Pier 11, is available from all. So you could, for example, stay at a hotel on East 34th Street, crosstown from Penn Station, and board the ferry service to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal from East 34th Street.