Princess Hiding Cabins

DrSch

Malba, again, that just doesn't hold water, or explain why this is happening ONLY to Deluxe Balconies.  No other category. 

Also, especially with staffing issues...  If anything, they are limiting ship capacity on some sailings.

There might be some strange reason that Princess can have for this.  But, looking at it from every angle that I can imagine, it just makes no sense.

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

Malba, again, that just doesn't hold water, or explain why this is happening ONLY to Deluxe Balconies.  No other category. 

Also, especially with staffing issues...  If anything, they are limiting ship capacity on some sailings.

There might be some strange reason that Princess can have for this.  But, looking at it from every angle that I can imagine, it just makes no sense.

Which cruise / date? Did you see my comment that 7 day Caribbean cruises show Deluxe but 14-day doesn't? Note: On Caribbean Princess I only see Balcony and Premium.

Scratch my comments - Caribbean Princess does not have Deluxe with sofa.

Edited by Tedferg

Why would Princess sell a cabin to 2 paying passengers when they can fill the same cabin with 3 paying passengers? Simple economics. Not really sneaky...they are in business to make money. I laugh when people are surprised that companies set things up to make the most amount of money. LOL. 

• Like 2

Tedferg, Sorry!  I was reading where you said this, below...  There are a lot of sailings and comments on here, and it can get confusing for sure!

"Agree, I guessed at Caribbean Princess, in this case just Premium no Deluxe. On 14 day cruise in June"

When I saw 14-day, I was thinking that this might be two 7 days, back to back, that are also sold as a 14 day.  And, I am thinking that this is a situation where Princess might try to keep cabins open so that the 14 day bookings can find cabins available for the cruise.   So, the '14 day' reminded me of that situation.  

SwimCarrie,  because that is just how it works.  Always has.  Two people can book any category, including larger Minisuites, and Deluxe Balconies, which technically can ALL sleep more than two people,  

This situation with finding Deluxe Balconies for two is a recent thing.  And doesn't seem to be a problem with booking Minis or any other category.

Edited by Wishing on a star

8 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

There have been similar situations pre-covid.

From what I seen with recent cruises Princess and the other cruise lines are moving pretty quickly past the staffing issues which were largely due to visa delays.  Though they might have temporary ones during a cruise due to illness.

In the last 10Q CCL was reporting that they were in the high 80% range with occupancy for all of their lines.  That means that they are now getting back to the range where they need to manage inventory with the goal of maximizing revenue (pre Covid occupancy rate ran around 104-107%.  As such they need to restrict some capacity 3 rooms for three people.  Probably just easier for them to restrict the slightly larger and slightly more expensive Deluxe Balconies.  Would not be surprised is some capacity 3 standard balconies are also restricted, just not as obvious.

If that is what Princess is doing then one can always find a room contact, customer service and see if the revenue department (the group that manages this kind of inventory) to see if they will release the cabin into bookable inventory for 2 people.

When Princess gets back to pre-covid occupancy level sometimes you will see the opposite.  Where capacity 3 cabins can only be booked for 1 or 2.  That happens when there are too many people booked in a specific section of the ship for that sections life boat capacity.

Edited by ldtr

The issue, then, might be that in their implentation of this system, they have made NO deluxe balcony cabins available for two passengers..  That makes none of those wakeview cabins available to two passengers.   I have never heard of couples not getting the wake views, until recently.

I pulled up a Caribbean cruise that we are looking at, and I put in balcony cabins, not the deluxe balconies.  They are showing different cabins, according to whether you are a party of two or not.  But, at least a party of two CAN book a regular balcony.  Not so with Deluxe Balcony.  And that is just not okay.

The two of us sailed on our last cruise in a Deluxe Balcony.  Now, if I wanted that cabin again, I would have to...

1.  Know and have researched what is going on.  And know that these are available.

2. Start calling and doing the 'hokey pokey' to get that cabin.

That just isn't okay.

Any reasoning doesn't make this situation where two people can't book an entire category, which has TONS of cabins available. (so can't be a capacity issue) any more acceptable.  This situation with Deluxe Balcony cabins is a problem.

Now, I am wondering if the one poster here who kept getting booted out of their AFT inside cabin to a different location, for absolutely no conceivable reason, was moved because of this ridiculous cabin availability algorithm that they are using.  (they did finally get, and keep, the cabin they wanted)

On 10/25/2022 at 10:14 AM, Wishing on a star said:

I had thought that maybe Princess was trying to go as far as to count and limit the number of people in each stewards cabin area.   (Staffing issues can be the big scapegoat sometimes). But, it should definitely be by number of cabins, not number of people.

I was told many years ago when I first started booking cabins for three people and had difficulty finding Mini-Suites that would accept three people (when in theory, all should) that the reason had to do with muster station and lifeboat capacity.  Each cabin has a preassigned muster station and each muster station has a preassigned lifeboat(s).  When those capacities are getting reached, the booking system will shut out a MS from accepting three people even though every single MS has a bed (sofa) for a third person and some have dropdowns for a fourth.  This was before the days of the Dlx B, but I assume that the same logic applies now that those cabins exist, and assuming that there was ever any truth to the explanation in the first place. 

I do not agree that it should be "first come first served".  If a ship has 1,500 cabins and the first 1,500 people who book fill those cabins with two people only, then the ship sails with 3,000 people.  If the cruise line holds back 250 cabins for bookings with three or four people and those cabins in fact get booked by parties of that size, then the ship sails with 3,250-3,400 people.  There is no math or economics that can be applied to suggest that the revenue stream of 3,000 > 3,400.  Especially as Princess is trying to market to families more than ever before.  If, as the sail date approaches, 50 of the 250 cabins held back for three or four people remain unsold, Princess can always flip the switch and open those up, or add the sailing to the Drop and Go sale and put bodies in those cabins.  But rushing to fill every cabin with two people as soon as the sailing is available for booking on a FC/FS basis undermines the marketing strategy of getting families on board and undermines the maximization of profit for the sailing.  Sorry, but these are just facts.    

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

The issue, then, might be that in their implentation of this system, they have made NO deluxe balcony cabins available for two passengers..  That makes none of those wakeview cabins available to two passengers.   I have never heard of couples not getting the wake views, until recently.

I pulled up a Caribbean cruise that we are looking at, and I put in balcony cabins, not the deluxe balconies.  They are showing different cabins, according to whether you are a party of two or not.  But, at least a party of two CAN book a regular balcony.  Not so with Deluxe Balcony.  And that is just not okay.

Offering couples and parties of three different cabin choices makes sense.  Having no choice of deluxe balcony cabins for couples is not appropriate.

Regards John

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

The two of us sailed on our last cruise in a Deluxe Balcony.  Now, if I wanted that cabin again, I would have to...

1.  Know and have researched what is going on.  And know that these are available.

That just isn't okay.

Any reasoning doesn't make this situation where two people can't book an entire category, which has TONS of cabins available. (so can't be a capacity issue) any more acceptable.  This situation with Deluxe Balcony cabins is a problem.

Now, I am wondering if the one poster here who kept getting booted out of their AFT inside cabin to a different location, for absolutely no conceivable reason, was moved because of this ridiculous cabin availability algorithm that they are using.  (they did finally get, and keep, the cabin they wanted)

Which cruise/date are you referring to?

2 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

That just isn't okay.

As I said above if you want one of those cabins call or have your TA call Princess and ask customer service to contact the revenue depart and see if they will release the cabin you are interested in.

Cruise lines are and always have pre-Covid had plans for managing inventory that allows them to maximize revenue.  If a cruise is one where they expect a number of cabins to be booked by more than two people, they are going to try and hold sufficient cabins to meet the anticipated demand.

A good TA should know how inventory management works.  Someone booking through Princess can certainly ask if there is any unreleased inventory.

I just booked a TA cruise for November 2023.  The TA is available as just the TA or the previous cruise combined with the TA.  The previous cruise does not show up at all as being bookable via the Princess web site.  Though I am pretty sure that it will show up sometime before next fall.  So it is not just cabins that are involved with revenue maximizing.

Edited by ldtr

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

I was told many years ago when I first started booking cabins for three people and had difficulty finding Mini-Suites that would accept three people (when in theory, all should) that the reason had to do with muster station and lifeboat capacity.  Each cabin has a preassigned muster station and each muster station has a preassigned lifeboat(s).  When those capacities are getting reached, the booking system will shut out a MS from accepting three people even though every single MS has a bed (sofa) for a third person and some have dropdowns for a fourth.  This was before the days of the Dlx B, but I assume that the same logic applies now that those cabins exist, and assuming that there was ever any truth to the explanation in the first place. 

I do not agree that it should be "first come first served".  If a ship has 1,500 cabins and the first 1,500 people who book fill those cabins with two people only, then the ship sails with 3,000 people.  If the cruise line holds back 250 cabins for bookings with three or four people and those cabins in fact get booked by parties of that size, then the ship sails with 3,250-3,400 people.  There is no math or economics that can be applied to suggest that the revenue stream of 3,000 > 3,400.  Especially as Princess is trying to market to families more than ever before.  If, as the sail date approaches, 50 of the 250 cabins held back for three or four people remain unsold, Princess can always flip the switch and open those up, or add the sailing to the Drop and Go sale and put bodies in those cabins.  But rushing to fill every cabin with two people as soon as the sailing is available for booking on a FC/FS basis undermines the marketing strategy of getting families on board and undermines the maximization of profit for the sailing.  Sorry, but these are just facts.    

Or with the new upgrade bidding system they offer them there.

• 1 month later...
On 10/22/2022 at 5:08 PM, Coral said:

Speak to who you booked with. Have them move you and add a 3rd person. Then you can remove the 3rd person shortly after.

Thanks so much for this great advice Coral!  I’ve been frustrated with this lack of ability to choose an exact premium deluxe cabin.  I am booking a Hawaii cruise lasting 15 days on Discovery and these cabins are not all equal in terms of balcony sizes and such.   So I followed your advice.   I booked a specific cabin for three and then called Princess a while later and had them remove the 3rd person. It only took a minute or two and now I have the exact cabin I wanted.   It worked perfectly.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TAW1963 said:

Thanks so much for this great advice Coral!  I’ve been frustrated with this lack of ability to choose an exact premium deluxe cabin.  I am booking a Hawaii cruise lasting 15 days on Discovery and these cabins are not all equal in terms of balcony sizes and such.   So I followed your advice.   I booked a specific cabin for three and then called Princess a while later and had them remove the 3rd person. It only took a minute or two and now I have the exact cabin I wanted.   It worked perfectly.   

For your sake I hope it works out.  A few years back our cabin was changed because they needed our cabin since it would accomodate more. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 10/24/2022 at 6:25 PM, malba2366 said:

Princess isn't doing it on a "whim"....they have an interest in having the cabins that sleep 3-4 available for that ....they charge for the 3rd and 4th guest.  

Believe me.  There are many times of the year when there are no children aboard and only a handful of cabins with 3 adults.  If they are holding all cabins with sofas for 3 passenger bookings, when there are only a few months a year when people travel with kids, they are losing a lot of money by not allowing people to book those cabins for 2.

• Like 1

I had been looking at a 10 day Sea of Cortez cruise out of LA on the Grand for 2025.  The interesting thing is that, if you go to a general deck plan of the Grand, there is a place to click for the number of guests.  When one clicks on 2 passengers, all of the cabins for 2, 3, or 4 passengers show up.  If you go farther and try to actually book with 2 passengers, however, it will not allow a person to book most of them. 

Thanks to whoever recommended to book with a third person; it worked and I got the aft balcony I wanted.  Will cancel the third person in a few days.  This thread was very helpful and insightful.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Trash Queen said:

I had been looking at a 10 day Sea of Cortez cruise out of LA on the Grand for 2025.  The interesting thing is that, if you go to a general deck plan of the Grand, there is a place to click for the number of guests.  When one clicks on 2 passengers, all of the cabins for 2, 3, or 4 passengers show up.  If you go farther and try to actually book with 2 passengers, however, it will not allow a person to book most of them. 

Thanks to whoever recommended to book with a third person; it worked and I got the aft balcony I wanted.  Will cancel the third person in a few days.  This thread was very helpful and insightful.

I did the same thing.  When I called to cancel the third person, they did it without hesitation or hassle.

I have had a similar experience.  Last week I booked a regular balcony cabin for two because I was not able to book a deluxe balcony.   Every deck, every section for deluxe balconies were guarantees only.  Every one!  I called Princess and I still couldn't get a deluxe balcony.  He tried to tell me they were all taken.   And this cruise isn't until March 2025!!!!    I wasn't buying it.

Upon reading this thread today I instead searched for a cabin for 3 people and lo and behold there were lots of them available!   So today (one week later) I called Princess again.   This time I told them the cabin I wanted showed available for 3 but not for 2 and could they do anything.   And this time she was able to move my booking to a deluxe balcony of my choice.   I know they would rather book 3 in a cabin as opposed to 2 but that isn't fair if you don't have any available for 2 people at all.    What they should do is make some available for 2 now and later, depending on sales, release more for 2 people if they haven't booked them for 3.   That's only my opinion.

I am glad to learn of the booking for 3 and then dropping one trick.  Might come in useful in the future.

• Like 2

Seeing that this thread is now bumped up, months later.

It is truly sad to see that this issue is still happening with the Deluxe Balconies on that class of ships.

But, in reality, these 'blocked' cabins are worse now than ever before.

Entire decks or sections.

Almost impossible, without sheer luck, to find the type of cabin you want on the deck you want.

This all goes along with the Princess big push for GTY bookings.  And, then to make them NON-refundable.

I am with many who will have a huge problem if I can't select a cabin.  If I can't book a cabin that I know will meet my needs.

I don't know what the heck is going on with Princess,  but like many other recent customer service and policy issues.   But it is NOT good

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

It is truly sad to see that this issue is still happening with the Deluxe Balconies on that class of ships.

Almost impossible, without sheer luck, to find the type of cabin you want on the deck you want.

This all goes along with the Princess big push for GTY bookings.  And, then to make them NON-refundable.

I am with many who will have a huge problem if I can't select a cabin.  If I can't book a cabin that I know will meet my needs.

I don't know what the heck is going on with Princess,  but like many other recent customer service and policy issues.   But it is NOT good

I'm going to blame it on the accountants.  They figured that they could fill every cabin that holds 3 or 4 people with 3 or 4 people.  That is not realistic.  Thank you, Wishing on a Star, for figuring out a work-around.  I've come upon this for the last three bookings, and just realized that there was something wrong.  Slow me.  For airlines I can book the seat I want and pay more.  I have no problem for selecting my cabin and paying more, but to not allow me to select a cabin that they will later just deal out to whoever on a guarantee is also not what the accountants want.  They didn't think this one out all the way.  Again, thank you for figuring out the work-around.

BTW, I booked a Celebrity cruise.  They kinda did the same thing, but told me that I could book any of those 3-passenger cabins for $500 more per cabin.  Princess wants $699 for the passenger that I will cancel.  Those accountants might try harder to figure out how to fill out with fewer people to wait on for almost the same price.

Charlotte

Charlotte

6 hours ago, Trash Queen said:

I'm going to blame it on the accountants.  They figured that they could fill every cabin that holds 3 or 4 people with 3 or 4 people.  

Charlotte

Ships have a legal maximum capacity of how many passengers they may transport before they are considered full.  I think the number of berths exceed this number by a small percentage to maximise the number of passengers they book in.  It is not known how many parties of three or four may want to travel and at what level of accommodation.

Regards John

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Their policy for guarantee non refundable is now pretty clear. the lowest priced cabin class in each meta category are now guarantee non refundable only.