Our day in Nova Scotia

shellden

We walked off the ship and walked up to the Citadel, worth the trip.   We spent about 2 hours, we did our own tour but you can do a group tour.  Enjoyed the different architecture combining old and new.  We then walked down to the boardwalk and enjoyed the beautiful day and grabbed a beer and snack at The BG on the pier, closes in late fall but worth a visit and offered live music. On our way back to the ship stopped at Garrison brewery for a flight great beer and relaxing vibe.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, shellden said:

We walked off the ship and walked up to the Citadel, worth the trip.   We spent about 2 hours, we did our own tour but you can do a group tour.  Enjoyed the different architecture combining old and new.  We then walked down to the boardwalk and enjoyed the beautiful day and grabbed a beer and snack at The BG on the pier, closes in late fall but worth a visit and offered live music. On our way back to the ship stopped at Garrison brewery for a flight great beer and relaxing vibe.  

Ours was a visit to the Public Garden, Walk thru Town, Lunch at Salty's and walk back to Pier

Halifax is a great stop! We first walked to the public gardens which surprisingly had so many flowers still in bloom middle of October, then to the Citadel, and then walked down to the boardwalk area and hit the Maritime museum and several food vendors right on the boardwalk.  I loved that the city is very walkable and all of the stops we made were inexpensive.  In addition, the cruise terminal area had some really nice shops to grab souvenirs before going back on the ship. 

3 hours ago, Esjung1 said:

Halifax is a great stop! We first walked to the public gardens which surprisingly had so many flowers still in bloom middle of October, then to the Citadel, and then walked down to the boardwalk area and hit the Maritime museum and several food vendors right on the boardwalk.  I loved that the city is very walkable and all of the stops we made were inexpensive.  In addition, the cruise terminal area had some really nice shops to grab souvenirs before going back on the ship. 

This was exactly what we did this past sailing except we ate in our favorite restaurant instead of outside vendors.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We have enjoyed what we can walk to in Halifax so much that we've never been tempted to go further.  Citadel, a very old cemetery close to the pier, Maritime Museum, boardwalk.  Immigration Museum and other attractions are in our future, all nearby.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
4 hours ago, cleophus12 said:

We are not ship excursion people.  What should we plan to do with a car in Peggy's Cove/Halifax?

Head to Peggy's Cove as soon a possible to beat the tour busses. Then head to Mahone Bay for lunch. Then check out Lunnenberg, and head back to the ship. You could also just go to Lunnenberg for lunch. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, cleophus12 said:

What is the favorite restaurant you refer to here?

Salty's Seafood Restaurant along the Harbor Walk. Great Lobster Lunch

I know many others have mixed other opinions of their own.

We like friendly service, good food and delightful experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Escape is at Pier 22. There is only one other small 380 passenger ship in that day at Pier 23.  All the piers are close to each other except for the secure pier which is only used when there are 4 ships in. Shuttles must be used for that pier.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2023 at 2:27 PM, cleophus12 said:

So would you say there is no need for car rental in Halifax?  I have a car rented to go to Peggy's Cove, but now I'm thinking it may not be necessary.

We had a wonderful day with a rental car. It was easy to pick it up and return it near the port. We drove out to Lunenburg and walked the waterfront and Old Town Lunenburg which is a UNESCO World Heritage site. We shopped, and enjoyed some lobster and fish and chips at the Fish Shack (very friendly staff and great food). Then we drove out to Peggy's Cove. On our way, we spotted a beautiful memorial which is about three miles before you get to the lighthouse. It honors the people who perished in 1998 on a Swissair flight and also has views of Peggy's Cove. Yes, Peggy's Cove is extremely touristy but the drive and landscapes and food along the way were magnificent. On the drive back we stopped for another lobster near Peggy's Cove but not at it from a U-Cook Lobster Truck. Great day!  

Edited by LindaandJeff
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2023 at 3:31 PM, LindaandJeff said:

We had a wonderful day with a rental car. It was easy to pick it up and return it near the port. We drove out to Lunenburg and walked the waterfront and Old Town Lunenburg which is a UNESCO World Heritage site. We shopped, and enjoyed some lobster and fish and chips at the Fish Shack (very friendly staff and great food). Then we drove out to Peggy's Cove. On our way, we spotted a beautiful memorial which is about three miles before you get to the lighthouse. It honors the people who perished in 1998 on a Swissair flight and also has views of Peggy's Cove. Yes, Peggy's Cove is extremely touristy but the drive and landscapes and food along the way were magnificent. On the drive back we stopped for another lobster near Peggy's Cove but not at it from a U-Cook Lobster Truck. Great day!  

Hi, where did you end up getting your rental car from?  I have a group of 10 people looking for a van to do our own trip over to the Bay of Fundy.  

17 minutes ago, spleenstomper said:

Is the terrain flat or what? I had both knees replaced so still a little tippy on things like cobblestone. Thanks. 

Also, do they drive on the same side of the street as in the US? Thanks. 

driving is the same as in the USA except in  Kilometers

Where do you plan to go?

Waterfront is flat

walking to the Citadel is uphill 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

driving is the same as in the USA except in  Kilometers

Where do you plan to go?

Waterfront is flat

walking to the Citadel is uphill 

I’m not sure where we want to go. We are late in booking excursions and so many are sold out.  I’m doing my research. Thanks!