Tipping with Cheers Package?

handbellplayer

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

They should outlaw that term "living wage" because it is going to vary region by region and even person by person. DW and I raised 5 sons and I suspect our living wage was higher than someone who was single, as only one example.

Without question.  It is a fallacy in the real world. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

What is the magic number where you are not a "cheapo"? Seriously, tipping is going insane now instead of paying a living wage. Everywhere you go, there is a tip jar. So, what is this mythical number to tip? 

In the end it is not just 18%. It is 18% on an inflated number to begin with. Plus, they raised the price almost $10/day which increases tips to an additional $2 per day. It sounds small, but it severely increases. A majority of people don't drink 10-drinks per day. That equates to $1 tip per drink pre-paid. Lets figure out the amount of tips per day for 2 adults, with Cheers: $12pp/day for Cheers, $15pp/day for room stewards. 7 (days) x $27 x 2 (adults) = $378. That is a lot of money in tips that are basically required. Then everywhere you turn there is a TIP line. And don't forget the baggage guys that literally take the luggage I wheeled to them, scan it, and have me put it in on the luggage cart. I did the work, why didn't they tip me?

All I would like is someone to put an EXACT number that is considered acceptable. Is it 18%, 25%, 50%, 2,000%, just tell us? I want to know what my new tips are for my salaried job. I would love that 18% tip. That would almost cover what we pay in taxes, so I actual get what I earn. So please, tell me the percentage or dollar amount. 

25% minimum for complicated drinks, 20% is standard for tipping at American food and beverage establishments.  

On 10/19/2022 at 7:01 AM, LaRue1975 said:

On the Panorama last week I tipped $2 cash per drink or $3 when getting drinks for the hubby and me. A few times I tipped more, especially the first day and it definitely enhanced our Cheers experience, lol! I tried to remember to put the tip on the bar when I ordered, it definitely improves service and pours, cheers! 

But tips of 18 % are Already included! This tipping culture is getting out of control in the USA. Sorry.

49 minutes ago, Despegue said:

But tips of 18 % are Already included! This tipping culture is getting out of control in the USA. Sorry.

lol, that 18% on the package price of $52 per person/per day is about $9 per day for tips.  Bartenders usually get more than that even for 5 drinks per day.  You're only tipping on the current package price, not the actual number of drinks you get. As others have said, it doesn't matter how you want to tip but if someone asks for what we do, i'll let them know.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Colorado Cruzer said:

25% minimum for complicated drinks, 20% is standard for tipping at American food and beverage establishments.  

So adding $0.10-$0.25 cents more on a drink would be acceptable? Kind of ridiculous and a waste of my time to add that after prepaying 18%. The going rate would be what is pre-charged. In the end, tipping started at 5%, went to 10%, then 15% and arbitrarily again above that. 18% is fine with me and I cover that in the purchase price. It is 18% on the inflated rates which means the percentage would be higher.

5 hours ago, Despegue said:

You pay the 18% gratuity on the cost of the drink package, if you get more than 5 or 6 drinks a day the servers and bartenders do not get a full tip, if any at all after it’s all pooled. Regardless, it’s not out of control for you if you don’t tip, why do you care what others tip? America does has a culture of tipping and some of us actually enjoying showing our appreciation to servers, bartenders and others in the service industry that make our vacations and other experiences better. If you treat them well sometimes you get better service and extra alcohol in your drink but I always tip because for me it’s the right thing to do, especially on a cruise ship. IMO they are the hardest working members of the service industry and do their jobs far away from home and loved ones to help provide for their families. If it bothers you too bad, not sorry. 🙂

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

So adding $0.10-$0.25 cents more on a drink would be acceptable? Kind of ridiculous and a waste of my time to add that after prepaying 18%. The going rate would be what is pre-charged. In the end, tipping started at 5%, went to 10%, then 15% and arbitrarily again above that. 18% is fine with me and I cover that in the purchase price. It is 18% on the inflated rates which means the percentage would be higher.

That $9 a day works out to cents per drink, an extra buck directly to the person handing you a tasty beverage is a great investment in life

On 10/28/2022 at 11:16 PM, Elaine5715 said:

That $9 a day works out to cents per drink, an extra buck directly to the person handing you a tasty beverage is a great investment in life

I just want to know what the arbitrary number is. No one is willing to be an exact figure on "being cheap" or "being acceptable". For me, 18% is acceptable. But if my opinion is wrong, tell me what is the number. If it is an extra $1, then it would be an extra $80 for the week if not more. 2x is $160 for both of us. Service fees, prepaid tips on Cheers, adding in extra tips, etc. I get up to about $800-$1000 in tips. Is that the right number: 3x ~$110 service fee ($330) + 2x ~$110 Cheers prepaid tip ($220) + bag handlers ($10 at the port) + I am not CHEAP tip $1 x 10 drinks x 7 days x 2 people ($140) = That's $700 in tips on a cruise I will pay $1,850 + ~$1,000 for Cheers. That's 25%. The norm was 10%, then arbitrarily 15%, then arbitrarily 18%, now getting to 25%. 

I'm not against tipping. I am against someone not saying "You will tip exactly this amount, no more, no less!" Just state the number. No other tips are permitted or accepted. 

1 hour ago, BoozinCroozin said:

I just want to know what the arbitrary number is. No one is willing to be an exact figure on "being cheap" or "being acceptable". For me, 18% is acceptable. But if my opinion is wrong, tell me what is the number. If it is an extra $1, then it would be an extra $80 for the week if not more. 2x is $160 for both of us. Service fees, prepaid tips on Cheers, adding in extra tips, etc. I get up to about $800-$1000 in tips. Is that the right number: 3x ~$110 service fee ($330) + 2x ~$110 Cheers prepaid tip ($220) + bag handlers ($10 at the port) + I am not CHEAP tip $1 x 10 drinks x 7 days x 2 people ($140) = That's $700 in tips on a cruise I will pay $1,850 + ~$1,000 for Cheers. That's 25%. The norm was 10%, then arbitrarily 15%, then arbitrarily 18%, now getting to 25%. 

I'm not against tipping. I am against someone not saying "You will tip exactly this amount, no more, no less!" Just state the number. No other tips are permitted or accepted. 

18% of the per drink cost.  With CHEERS you aren't tipping 18% of the drinks.  By purchasing CHEERS, you are getting both a savings per drink but also on tips.  

11 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

18% of the per drink cost.  With CHEERS you aren't tipping 18% of the drinks.  By purchasing CHEERS, you are getting both a savings per drink but also on tips.  

Not true. I am paying for a certain number of drinks for 0-15. At almost $12 at the 18%, I am paying a $1 tip per drink if I hit 12 every single day. Anything lower is more. If I get to 15 every day, it is slightly less than $1. I am fairly certain the average person on Cheers drinks 10 or less per day. 

My point is the same. NO ONE and I mean NO ONE will put a dollar figure on what is right. Because of that, 18% may be too much. Just tell us what the percentage or price is to make you comfortable for everyone. I am completely comfortable at 18%.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Not true. I am paying for a certain number of drinks for 0-15. At almost $12 at the 18%, I am paying a $1 tip per drink if I hit 12 every single day. Anything lower is more. If I get to 15 every day, it is slightly less than $1. I am fairly certain the average person on Cheers drinks 10 or less per day. 

My point is the same. NO ONE and I mean NO ONE will put a dollar figure on what is right. Because of that, 18% may be too much. Just tell us what the percentage or price is to make you comfortable for everyone. I am completely comfortable at 18%.

18% is the amount established by the cruise line, whether it is per drink or for the package. Tipping more then that is completely at the discretion of the customer.

1 hour ago, BoozinCroozin said:

If you have CHEERS, the 18% of $59.95 (daily) is $10.79 per day in gratuities that go to the pool. If If you have 12 drinks, that is 90 cents per drink, $10.80 in tips.  If you purchased 12 drinks at $10.50 each, your drink cost would be $126.00 plus $22.68 in auto grats added or $1.89 per drink given to the person(s) who prepared and served the drink.  So by adding a whole dollar, you are now actually tipping 18%.