Price goes up after I log into my account on Princess's website

TN-Mountains

I booked a cruise over the weekend on Princess.  I booked directly through their website.  For some reason, it wouldn't give me the low deposit rate of $100pp which is their current Love Boat promo.  I spoke with a Princess Vacation Planner who said it was because I was getting a lower fare than the Love Boat fare. The same lady quoted me higher fares the day before, so I reluctantly paid the higher deposit since it is refundable. Today I decided to check prices and it looks like I can upgrade from an premium OV to an obstructed balcony for $100.  I got all the way to the page that adds in the port fees, taxes, etc, so I was looking at the final price.  When I logged into my account a window popped up telling me the fares have changed.  They actually went up by $1500 and the deposit jumped from $200-$500!  Is this normal??  Is anyone else having this issue?  I've sailed with Princess 4 times in the past, but it has been 15 years since my last cruise. I have my captain's circle number in my profile and it shows the correct level as ruby.  

I am having some trouble while logged in on the Princess website and App at the moment. If I try to log one of my travel companions in I get a message that they are aware of a problem and working to fix it. I can actually log in but there are a bunch of problems. Your problem may or may not be related to that. 

I have seen something similar.  In my case I had a cruise booked and when looking at it when not logged in I was seeing the promo price for new bookings only. 

When I logged in the system was smart enough to know that I already had that cruise booked and so the price I saw was the regular price, which was higher then I had booked at originally and the New Booking promo price.  At least that's what the Princess person told me.

Personally I've found that Princess seems to be limiting promo pricing to new booking much more often now then they did before.  Whereas I used to be able to pretty much always just re-fare, now it seems like you often have to cancel and re-book to get the new pricing.  Sure it can be done if you have refundable deposit, etc. but it's a much bigger hassle then just re-faring.  Of course it could just be me as well.

Edited by jpom18
  • Like 2

It sounds like a lot of strange stuff going on with Princess!  We booked a cruise with a promo rate that was offered to us by showing the lower rate when I was logged in.  We booked with the Plus package, which would now get us the one hundred dollars onboard excursion credit.  But, since we have the cruise booked, it won't show me that Promo rate we had.  Looking at a large online travel agency, they are still showing that discounted rate that I no longer can pull up.   

The fare on the cruise has not changed.  Should be able to refare or just add that credit.   It seems that Princess and our Princess agent are ignoring our inquiries.   We hate to totally cancel, and have to wait for Princess to refund us, for that two hundred dollars.  But, I swear, on principle I am ready to do that.

Edited by PRINCESS Sweet Pea

24 minutes ago, jpom18 said:

I have seen something similar.  In my case I had a cruise booked and when looking at it when not logged in I was seeing the promo price for new bookings only. 

When I logged in the system was smart enough to know that I already had that cruise booked and so the price I saw was the regular price, which was higher then I had booked at originally and the New Booking promo price.  At least that's what the Princess person told me.

Personally I've found that Princess seems to be limiting promo pricing to new booking much more often now then they did before.  Whereas I used to be able to pretty much always just re-fare, now it seems like you often have to cancel and re-book to get the new pricing.  Sure it can be done if you have refundable deposit, etc. but it's a much bigger hassle then just re-faring.  Of course it could just be me as well.

This is what I thought was going on!  I sent a screen shot to princess to see if they'll give me the lower rate.  The only email I have is the vacation advisor that had me pay the higher deposit, so I'm not holding out much hope.  Either way, I think I'll call princess and see if they'll give me the lower deposit on what I have booked.  

1 hour ago, dog said:

Yes!  I can’t get the $100 deposit either. A call to TA or Princess should do it. Screenshot lower fare you see.

Let me know if you get this resolved.  They sold out of the type rooms I booked so I'm glad I went ahead and paid the deposit, but I think I'll call and ask that they refund the $300.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PRINCESS Sweet Pea said:

It sounds like a lot of strange stuff going on with Princess!  We booked a cruise with a promo rate that was offered to us by showing the lower rate when I was logged in.  We booked with the Plus package, which would now get us the one hundred dollars onboard excursion credit.  But, since we have the cruise booked, it won't show me that Promo rate we had.  Looking at a large online travel agency, they are still showing that discounted rate that I no longer can pull up.   

The fare on the cruise has not changed.  Should be able to refare.   It seems that Princess and our Princess agent are ignoring our inquiries.   We hate to totally cancel, and have to wait for Princess to refund us, for that two hundred dollars.  But, I swear, on principle I am ready to do that.

Ugh.  I hear you!  My first reaction was to cancel, but then I thought of all the additional research I'll have to do to plan a different vacation!  LOL!  Since the deposit is refundable I'll try to resist the urge momentarily.  

36 minutes ago, PRINCESS Sweet Pea said:

I would just rebook the same thing with the TA from the online agency that actually answers inquiries and gives a halfway straight answer!

You found a TA that actually knows things about cruises???  I tried using one a few months ago.  I asked lots of questions about everything the fare included and what extras I should expect.  She told me the fare included everything so she put a temp hold on the cabin.  I did a little more research and quickly learned there were hundreds per guest in gratuities that weren't included.   It is all so confusing.  Now I know why my local TA quit selling cruises!  It is a shame, because she was wonderful helping with a couple of our previous non-cruise vacations.  

12 minutes ago, TN-Mountains said:

You found a TA that actually knows things about cruises???  I tried using one a few months ago.  I asked lots of questions about everything the fare included and what extras I should expect.  She told me the fare included everything so she put a temp hold on the cabin.  I did a little more research and quickly learned there were hundreds per guest in gratuities that weren't included.   It is all so confusing.  Now I know why my local TA quit selling cruises!  It is a shame, because she was wonderful helping with a couple of our previous non-cruise vacations.  

You do need to find a good cruise TA.  Unfortunately, we cannot recommend on this website. 

One thing is to see if you can find a third-party travel site that allows self-booking of cruises.  The good ones will show you ALL of the eligible cruise fares which not only is to your benefit, but you can speak in specifics with a travel agent or Princess agent about which fare code you want. 

The third party websites let you shop other cruise lines as well, but they will have you input your Princess past passenger number (your Captain Circle Id) and this is used to show you all the fare types you are eligible for.  You should be able to read about fare conditions and perks as well.  TBH, any good TA worth their salt ought to be able to do this as well. 

Not sure you are up to a lot of self-service, but once you have a cruise voyage you are interested in, you can try and find travel agencies that will compete for your business.  Otherwise, on your next cruise, get talking to fellow cruisers and see how they are booking and getting good rates. 

For now, perhaps you might want to call Princess and ask to be connected with one of their internal TA's - called Cruise Vacation Planners.  Now, be aware, some are good and some are duds, and you don't know who you will get. 

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

You do need to find a good cruise TA.  Unfortunately, we cannot recommend on this website. 

One thing is to see if you can find a third-party travel site that allows self-booking of cruises.  The good ones will show you ALL of the eligible cruise fares which not only is to your benefit, but you can speak in specifics with a travel agent or Princess agent about which fare code you want. 

The third party websites let you shop other cruise lines as well, but they will have you input your Princess past passenger number (your Captain Circle Id) and this is used to show you all the fare types you are eligible for.  You should be able to read about fare conditions and perks as well.  TBH, any good TA worth their salt ought to be able to do this as well. 

Not sure you are up to a lot of self-service, but once you have a cruise voyage you are interested in, you can try and find travel agencies that will compete for your business.  Otherwise, on your next cruise, get talking to fellow cruisers and see how they are booking and getting good rates. 

For now, perhaps you might want to call Princess and ask to be connected with one of their internal TA's - called Cruise Vacation Planners.  Now, be aware, some are good and some are duds, and you don't know who you will get. 

I searched pricing on a lot of the websites for before I booked.  That included big box store and some member only benefits I have through my insurance.  Princess' website was showing the cheapest rate.  I called one of their vacation planners because she had been emailing me that she could get me the best rate.  The rates she gave was HIGHER than the website.  She didn't seemed interested in finding out why.  She just said sometimes our rates are higher??  Ugh.  

I called Princess today and was on hold forever before I got cut off.  The next time I called, I selected the "hold my place in line and call me" option.  I still haven't received a call back yet.  I emailed the vacation planner that helped with the 1st booking.  I included the photo showing the price and then the price change once I logged in.  She said she can't see that rate...sorry, but keep checking the rates!  I asked her to escalate to a supervisor to see if they can match it.  She said she talked to her guest services team and they see the same pricing she sees and they are unable to price match.  Not sure guest services team is a supervisor, but what am I going to do?  I guess I'll keep checking.  I'll probably check some other cruise lines while I'm at it.  My allegiance to Princess only runs so deep.  A $1500 price increase because I'm a previous passenger is well past that threshold!  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TN-Mountains said:

I searched pricing on a lot of the websites for before I booked.  That included big box store and some member only benefits I have through my insurance.  Princess' website was showing the cheapest rate.  I called one of their vacation planners because she had been emailing me that she could get me the best rate.  The rates she gave was HIGHER than the website.  She didn't seemed interested in finding out why.  She just said sometimes our rates are higher??  Ugh.  

I called Princess today and was on hold forever before I got cut off.  The next time I called, I selected the "hold my place in line and call me" option.  I still haven't received a call back yet.  I emailed the vacation planner that helped with the 1st booking.  I included the photo showing the price and then the price change once I logged in.  She said she can't see that rate...sorry, but keep checking the rates!  I asked her to escalate to a supervisor to see if they can match it.  She said she talked to her guest services team and they see the same pricing she sees and they are unable to price match.  Not sure guest services team is a supervisor, but what am I going to do?  I guess I'll keep checking.  I'll probably check some other cruise lines while I'm at it.  My allegiance to Princess only runs so deep.  A $1500 price increase because I'm a previous passenger is well past that threshold!  

These are the stories that make me cringe.  Disappointed and upset customer who is not going to be saying good things about Princess and it hurts the brand and the stock in the long run if this happens frequently. 

You should ask what Fare Code they are quoting you always. 

I am curious a bit.  If you post the cruise you were pricing, I can look it up and see what I see for pricing options.  I will give you the Fare Codes and the base fare. 

PS - You could be booked at the non-past passenger Fare Code.  It's a public fare available to anyone, but I don't understand why a past pax code would cost more.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

These are the stories that make me cringe.  Disappointed and upset customer who is not going to be saying good things about Princess and it hurts the brand and the stock in the long run if this happens frequently. 

You should ask what Fare Code they are quoting you always. 

I am curious a bit.  If you post the cruise you were pricing, I can look it up and see what I see for pricing options.  I will give you the Fare Codes and the base fare. 

PS - You could be booked at the non-past passenger Fare Code.  It's a public fare available to anyone, but I don't understand why a past pax code would cost more.

14-Day Icelandic & Norwegian Fjords

Copenhagen, Denmark to Southampton (London), England

Wednesday, July 12, 2023 - Island Princess

I'm not sure why being a past guest would increase the rates either, but it was clearly showing $6386 after taxes, fees, etc.  Once I logged in to proceed with the booking, a window popped up alerting me that the fares had changed.  It showed an updated pricing summary in a table w/ pricing for guest 1, guest 2, cruise total, taxes & fees and finally the total price.  The first price was $6386 and the new pricing was $7870.  I closed the browser, opened a new one and went through the process again with the same results. 

10 minutes ago, TN-Mountains said:

I'm not sure why being a past guest would increase the rates either, but it was clearly showing $6386 after taxes, fees, etc.  Once I logged in to proceed with the booking, a window popped up alerting me that the fares had changed.  It showed an updated pricing summary in a table w/ pricing for guest 1, guest 2, cruise total, taxes & fees and finally the total price.  The first price was $6386 and the new pricing was $7870.  I closed the browser, opened a new one and went through the process again with the same results. 

Do you have a current booking on this cruise?

Just now, jagoffee said:

Do you have a current booking on this cruise?

yes.  I'm currently booked in an Oceanview cabin.  When I saw the obstructed balcony for only $100 more, I was going to book it instead.

Edited by TN-Mountains

14 minutes ago, TN-Mountains said:

Just did a test booking, Balcony $6276 - same whether logged in or not.

ETA changed to Obs Balcony $4120

Edited by Tedferg

21 minutes ago, TN-Mountains said:

Thank you for checking.  Is that the standard fare or Princess Plus fare?  I should also have noted that the fares I was searching were princes plus.

Standard, Plus is $6210 two passengers.

Strange, Obs Bal Std is now showing $4810. BTW upgrade to Obs Bal was $11 pppd

Edited by Tedferg

1 hour ago, TN-Mountains said:

I have some details for you.  I have mentioned Princess Fare Codes or Promo Codes.  Sometimes you can find these in the cabin pricing details. 

I was not sure what exact Cabin Category you were looking at, but deduced from the total invoice cost of $7,870 that you were looking at Catg BY. 

U9F/U9G - This is a Special Mail Offer.  The "U" Promo Codes are targeted marketing to various groups of past guests.  According to the info, it does apply both Canada-wide and US-wide.  These fares are about $150 less than the "regular" sales offers.  The U9F is the Standard code and the U9G is the Plus code.  (I have ignored Premier).  This promotion appears to be a version of the Love Boat offer at a lower price point as it includes the $100 ShoreEx OBC.  Without the words saying it - I suspect this is a Past Passenger rate for sure.

N9E/N9D - This is the Love Boat Promotion.  The one with the $100 ShoreEx OBC.  These codes are available to the North American market sector (same as above).  The N9E is the Standard code and the N9D is the Plus code.  You do not need to be a Past Passenger to buy the Love Boat Promo.

NL1/NPP - This is the Standard Public Fare which anyone can get and do not need to be a Past Passenger.  Generally, this can be consider the "list price" for the voyage in any cabin.  The NL1 is Standard and the NPP is Plus.  There are no perks with this fare code.

For a BY cabin (Obstr'd Balcony), the fares are:

U9F = $3,000 + $235 port taxes = $3,235/pp

N9E = $3,199 + $235 port taxes = $3,434/pp

NL1 = $3,200 + $235 port taxes = $3,435/pp

Add $700/pp to the above fares if booking the PLUS option.

Since you mentioned a total invoice of $7,870, I can tell you were looking at a BY cabin, with Promo Code U9G = $3,935/pp all-in.  That is the best possible fare for a BY cabin with PLUS option (unless you are working with a TA that gives a discount off the cruise fare).

So, you are not at all being miss-priced or over-charged by Princess and they are telling you the best fare possible.  If you contact them again for the same thing, ask them what the Promo Code is and has to be U9G.

When anyone is logged into Princess.com, it only shows you one set of fares (one Promo Code).  When I am logged in and look at your cruise, Princess.com is showing me the Love Boat Deal fares (N9E, N9D).  Generally, Princess.com is supposed to show a guest their best deal by default.  However, you can clearly see that the U9F & U9G fare codes are the best deal.  Unless one of the following is true, you are never going to know that:

(1) a Princess rep tells you and actually quotes that better rate.

(2) a Princess CVP tells you and quotes the rate.

(3) your TA finds the best rate in POLAR booking system and quotes it to you.

(4) you know all your applicable rates before talking to anyone of (1), (2), (3), by using a 3rd party booking site that displays ALL eligible fares and lets you choose the one you want.

IDK what you see when you are logged in and shop for a BY Balcony, and Princess.com may show different fares to different guests for all I know.  I am just telling you what I see on Princess versus the other possibilities.

Comparing that to a Premium Oceanview, there are two cabin categories - O6 & O5.  Here are the prices for the O6:

U9F = $2,187 + $235 port taxes = $2,412/pp

N9E = $2,326 + $235 port taxes = $2,561/pp

NL1 = $2,327 + $235 port taxes = $2,562/pp

Again, add $700/pp to the above fares if booking the PLUS option.

U9G = $3,112/pp

N9D = $3,261/pp

NPP = $3,262/pp

IDK if you were booked or looking at O6 or O5 cabin.  The O5 cabins are only $22 more per person than the O6, so add another $22/pp to the above for the O5.

You mentioned a fare of $6,386.  This is $3,193/pp, less $235 port taxes = $2,958/pp.  I am not sure what this fare is - your OV, a Balcony, with or without Plus option. 

$2,958 is not a base fare for any Balcony on that voyage.  It does seem to closely approximate a BZ Balcony, which is a lower level of Obstructed than the BY.  But without the PLUS option.

$2,958 does not align with the Premium OV pricing.

Since you are already booked in an OV, you may have booked when pricing was somewhat different than today.

Another curious thing to me is you mention a $1,500 price jump.  You also mentioned expecting to pay $100 more for the Obstr'd Balcony.  So, that leaves $1,400.  $1,400 is exactly the PLUS option for 14-night cruise times 2 people.  Are you sure your OV booking is with the PLUS option?

Anyway, hopefully I have given you some additional insight into Princess pricing so you can be more informed of what's out there.  For me, I never rely on Princess to be showing me the best price on Princess.com, but it should be (and often is). 

A good internal CVP should be finding all the fares and quoting you the best one.  You were quoted a better deal than the regular Love Boat promo.  A good external TA should do the same.  A better external TA will also give you extras, like cash discounts off the fare and group OBC.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I have some details for you.  I have mentioned Princess Fare Codes or Promo Codes.  Sometimes you can find these in the cabin pricing details. 

I was not sure what exact Cabin Category you were looking at, but deduced from the total invoice cost of $7,870 that you were looking at Catg BY. 

U9F/U9G - This is a Special Mail Offer.  The "U" Promo Codes are targeted marketing to various groups of past guests.  According to the info, it does apply both Canada-wide and US-wide.  These fares are about $150 less than the "regular" sales offers.  The U9F is the Standard code and the U9G is the Plus code.  (I have ignored Premier).  This promotion appears to be a version of the Love Boat offer at a lower price point as it includes the $100 ShoreEx OBC.  Without the words saying it - I suspect this is a Past Passenger rate for sure.

N9E/N9D - This is the Love Boat Promotion.  The one with the $100 ShoreEx OBC.  These codes are available to the North American market sector (same as above).  The N9E is the Standard code and the N9D is the Plus code.  You do not need to be a Past Passenger to buy the Love Boat Promo.

NL1/NPP - This is the Standard Public Fare which anyone can get and do not need to be a Past Passenger.  Generally, this can be consider the "list price" for the voyage in any cabin.  The NL1 is Standard and the NPP is Plus.  There are no perks with this fare code.

For a BY cabin (Obstr'd Balcony), the fares are:

U9F = $3,000 + $235 port taxes = $3,235/pp

N9E = $3,199 + $235 port taxes = $3,434/pp

NL1 = $3,200 + $235 port taxes = $3,435/pp

Add $700/pp to the above fares if booking the PLUS option.

Since you mentioned a total invoice of $7,870, I can tell you were looking at a BY cabin, with Promo Code U9G = $3,935/pp all-in.  That is the best possible fare for a BY cabin with PLUS option (unless you are working with a TA that gives a discount off the cruise fare).

So, you are not at all being miss-priced or over-charged by Princess and they are telling you the best fare possible.  If you contact them again for the same thing, ask them what the Promo Code is and has to be U9G.

When anyone is logged into Princess.com, it only shows you one set of fares (one Promo Code).  When I am logged in and look at your cruise, Princess.com is showing me the Love Boat Deal fares (N9E, N9D).  Generally, Princess.com is supposed to show a guest their best deal by default.  However, you can clearly see that the U9F & U9G fare codes are the best deal.  Unless one of the following is true, you are never going to know that:

(1) a Princess rep tells you and actually quotes that better rate.

(2) a Princess CVP tells you and quotes the rate.

(3) your TA finds the best rate in POLAR booking system and quotes it to you.

(4) you know all your applicable rates before talking to anyone of (1), (2), (3), by using a 3rd party booking site that displays ALL eligible fares and lets you choose the one you want.

IDK what you see when you are logged in and shop for a BY Balcony, and Princess.com may show different fares to different guests for all I know.  I am just telling you what I see on Princess versus the other possibilities.

Comparing that to a Premium Oceanview, there are two cabin categories - O6 & O5.  Here are the prices for the O6:

U9F = $2,187 + $235 port taxes = $2,412/pp

N9E = $2,326 + $235 port taxes = $2,561/pp

NL1 = $2,327 + $235 port taxes = $2,562/pp

Again, add $700/pp to the above fares if booking the PLUS option.

U9G = $3,112/pp

N9D = $3,261/pp

NPP = $3,262/pp

IDK if you were booked or looking at O6 or O5 cabin.  The O5 cabins are only $22 more per person than the O6, so add another $22/pp to the above for the O5.

You mentioned a fare of $6,386.  This is $3,193/pp, less $235 port taxes = $2,958/pp.  I am not sure what this fare is - your OV, a Balcony, with or without Plus option. 

$2,958 is not a base fare for any Balcony on that voyage.  It does seem to closely approximate a BZ Balcony, which is a lower level of Obstructed than the BY.  But without the PLUS option.

$2,958 does not align with the Premium OV pricing.

Since you are already booked in an OV, you may have booked when pricing was somewhat different than today.

Another curious thing to me is you mention a $1,500 price jump.  You also mentioned expecting to pay $100 more for the Obstr'd Balcony.  So, that leaves $1,400.  $1,400 is exactly the PLUS option for 14-night cruise times 2 people.  Are you sure your OV booking is with the PLUS option?

Anyway, hopefully I have given you some additional insight into Princess pricing so you can be more informed of what's out there.  For me, I never rely on Princess to be showing me the best price on Princess.com, but it should be (and often is). 

A good internal CVP should be finding all the fares and quoting you the best one.  You were quoted a better deal than the regular Love Boat promo.  A good external TA should do the same.  A better external TA will also give you extras, like cash discounts off the fare and group OBC.

Thank you!  This is very helpful.  I need to read it again to digest everything, but I wanted to take a brief second to upload a screen shot of the $1500 discrepancy and and clarify a few things.  Your inferences were correct as to cabin categories.   I'm currently booked in a premium ocean view (O5).  I've read in a few places that I should keep tabs on pricing in case they drop, so I'm trying to make it a habit of checking daily.  While checking yesterday, I noticed the obscured balcony (BY) was pricing out at approximately $100 more than what I paid for the O5 Oceanview, so I was going to book it. I selected the cabin and got to the page that summarized the selections/prices including taxes fees.  It looked great!  I'm attaching a screen shot of the message I got once I logged into the site to proceed with the booking.  I've only been searching the Princess Plus rates.  

Higher Price for Capt. Circle.jpg