Luggage Trackers

LIZE

Has anyone used a luggage tracker or similar device. Carnival lost my luggage on last cruise. Someone actually wrote over my room number on luggage tag an put another room number. I would like to low jack my luggage on next cruise.

15 minutes ago, LIZE said:

Has anyone used a luggage tracker or similar device. Carnival lost my luggage on last cruise. Someone actually wrote over my room number on luggage tag an put another room number. I would like to low jack my luggage on next cruise.

There is an active thread on this subject on the Cruising Technology forum.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/677-cruising-technology/

• Like 1

Just now, kelkel2 said:

No, but after reading about John Herald’s issues I am seriously considering purchasing apple air tags. They’re $99/4 on Amazon. 

Think we posted at the same time.  I actually got a deal from Target 4/$94 and then used my Redcard and got another 5% off.  I purchased them exactly for this reason and for flying as well.  They also make a good pet tag if you need one.

We bought Apple AirTags last year and love them. It’s nice seeing exactly where your luggage is while flying or cruising. And at $99 for 4 they’re affordable too. We could see our luggage go from the dock to the ship which was reassuring that it wasn’t accidentally left behind. I’ve had nightmares about that happening.

We liked them so much we bought the dog collars made for them and have them on our dogs too. Now if my dog gets lost I’ll find him quickly which is reassuring. I just love those trackers. 

12 minutes ago, nwcruiselover said:

I have Samsung Smart tags that I got on Amazon.  About $50 for 2 of them, as I recall.  I have used them on cruises and have been happy with them.

I use these also.  Work very well.

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I worry more about airlines and put both air tags and tile in each suitcase. Useful for all kinds of things. One is finding my way back to my hotel in a new city after a day of walking.

I often have weird dreams about being unable to relocate my hotel, car, ship…if I buy air tags will that solve my dreams?  EM

• Haha 1

I got tiles (I have an android) for our last trip since I was concerned with luggage traveling international and getting missed on the flight.  The tiles are easy to track, but I was also sent notifications from the airline so it eased my concerns.  

May use the advice and put one in my car when I need to know where I'm parked.  

The issue with Tile versus Apple Tags is that in order for them to work, there has to be phones looking for them. With Apple, every iPhone is looking for Apple Tags. With Tile, the phone needs to have an app on it.

With regards to using them on the ship, all you'll know is the bag is on the ship. You won't find out what cabin it's hidden in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

The issue with Tile versus Apple Tags is that in order for them to work, there has to be phones looking for them. With Apple, every iPhone is looking for Apple Tags. With Tile, the phone needs to have an app on it.

The Samsung tags, all Samsung phones see them also.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I often have weird dreams about being unable to relocate my hotel, car, ship…if I buy air tags will that solve my dreams?  EM

For several years I have used a find my car app on my phone to find my way back to the ship.  It is made to find where you parked your car, but I use it to find my ship.  As soon as I'm off the ship, I tell the app that this is where I'm parked.  Even in a foreign country without cellular service to pull up a map, the app still points you in the right direction and tells you how far you are from where you "parked."

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

You can go back and forth. Tile has a longer range and provides insurance for your stuff. Worldwide, there are more Android phones. Both have advantages which is why I use both.

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

With regards to using them on the ship, all you'll know is the bag is on the ship. You won't find out what cabin it's hidden in.

It won't take long to walk up and down the halls until you find your bag. Unless on a megaship. Of course if the tags are on the outside they are easier to find and disable.

As I recall we walked down the passageway until the tile beeped.  then we saw the bag.   Also in the terminal  we were able to locate one bag that got placed in a different area.   Wasn't hard and way less time consuming that physically search each section for a bag.

11 hours ago, TomCruise48 said:

For several years I have used a find my car app on my phone to find my way back to the ship.  It is made to find where you parked your car, but I use it to find my ship.  As soon as I'm off the ship, I tell the app that this is where I'm parked.  Even in a foreign country without cellular service to pull up a map, the app still points you in the right direction and tells you how far you are from where you "parked."

We forgot to do this in Athens, and saw every ship/boat in the harbor that day during the 3 mile walk it took to find the Pride.  

On 10/20/2022 at 12:25 PM, LIZE said:

yes they are great when all the suitcases are dumped in the terminal . I bought them specifically for cruising.  We were always able to find our luggage easily with them .