Icon: Inaugural Sailing

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

There seem to be lots of Brits on O class and other ships which never sail from Southampton. The event (which doesn't seem to be happening anymore) is not for you (the end consumer) but for others to pump up bookings.

I agree, the interview says trade events though planned in Southampton.

I was replying to the comment from the other poster about 'whining Brits' (as if we are ever that 🤣) as we should know the ship can't sail with  passengers from the UK in winter.

Why then would it be different for travel agents and media, you really aren't going to boost sales with travel experts in coats, hats and scarves being blown around deck in the North Sea.

There must be something planned for paying passengers in Europe, personally I would base it in Madeira or the Canary Isles for a couple of weeks of short 'soft' revenue cruises, unless it is going from shipyard straight to crossing the Atlantic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tin can said:

Why then would it be different for travel agents and media, you really aren't going to boost sales with travel experts in coats, hats and scarves being blown around deck in the North Sea.

The ship doesn't need to sail far or at all, and RCI disagrees with you.

6 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The ship doesn't need to sail far or at all, and RCI disagrees with you.

Point taken, a ship visit though in Southampton in January that isn't sailing and is far superior to the ship you are actually selling or ever likely to sell locally seems a tough gig to pull off. 

In fact I think it would have the opposite effect, client phones up and asks to book the new ship that has been in the media and you say you can't have that one but we have one 10 years old sailing and not as good with half of the attractions.... the phone would be put down and you'd take a look at MSC. 

Its not as if its going to get the American public excited to make a booking on Icon, would you be able to see yourself on her paying top dollar in the Caribbean whilst seeing frozen travel agents in coats in the English Channel with the pools closed!

People have to sail it from Southampton or the media/travel agent event is a non starter in my opinion..... I  would though hope RCI does 100% disagree with me 😀.

2 minutes ago, Tin can said:

Point taken, a ship visit though in Southampton in January that isn't sailing and is far superior to the ship you are actually selling or ever likely to sell locally seems a tough gig to pull off. 

In fact I think it would have the opposite effect, client phones up and asks to book the new ship that has been in the media and you say you can't have that one but we have one 10 years old sailing and not as good with half of the attractions.... the phone would be put down and you'd take a look at MSC. 

Its not as if its going to get the American public excited to make a booking on Icon, would you be able to see yourself on her paying top dollar in the Caribbean whilst seeing frozen travel agents in coats in the English Channel with the pools closed!

People have to sail it from Southampton or the media/travel agent event is a non starter in my opinion..... I  would though hope RCI does 100% disagree with me 😀.

Meanwhile at MSC…..

MSC Cruises’ incoming vessel MSC Euribia will homeport in Southampton during the winter 2023-24 season.

The LNG-powered ship, due to launch in June 2023, will be based in the UK after the line saw “huge demand” for no-fly cruises on MSC Virtuosa.

Destinations such as Amsterdam and Bruges are included in the ex-UK winter programme. Prices for a five-night cruise on MSC Euribia start from £359 and seven-night sailings are priced from £499.

The lead-in price for the 21-night itinerary on MSC Euribia departing on January 5, 2024, is £2,399. Winter sailings on MSC Euribia go on sale on Monday, October 24.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tin can said:

The interest in this ship here (UK) in Winter is going to be very low especially if no one can sail on it.

I see posts from you Brits on here every day who routinely sail from the US.  So what makes this ship any different?  

11 minutes ago, flamingos said:

They used to have 'shake-down' cruises where you were expected to be a beta-test passenger.  

They still do, but mostly for agents and media, usually 2 day sail to nowhere circle quickies to debut the ship.  I will bet they will with this ship as well.  They are usually a few days or weeks before the "Inaugural". So as to get more agent bookings.  I've actually attended one.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, little britain said:

I’m going to have to look for a new cruise line I think 😢

Wow!  That's the only reason you'll never sail RCCL again?  Seriously!  Because you saw something put out by Michael Bailey 2 years before the ship even debuts? Again... WOW  I hope you find one.......

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Wow!  That's the only reason you'll never sail RCCL again?  Seriously!  Because you saw something put out by Michael Bailey 2 years before the ship even debuts? Again... WOW  I hope you find one.......

Like I said, I’ve sailed on the Anthem and cruises round the Caribbean don’t interest me in the slightest. Plus I don’t like flying. So yes, I would look for another cruise line because I don’t want to keep sailing on the Anthem. Not sure why that would seem strange to you? MSC have some cruises from Southampton next year on two different ships, so yes I would probably try that. Believe it or not, there are other cruise lines! 🤣

1 minute ago, shopaholic6 said:

Believe it or not, there are other cruise lines!

Yes, I know, I've sailed them..............................But I'd never drop a cruise line on account of that.  We consider the Caribbean our second home.  Have done 27 cruises so far most in the C. and  Alaska. Multiple times on the same ships.

Just now, BecciBoo said:

Yes, I know, I've sailed them..............................But I'd never drop a cruise line on account of that.  We consider the Caribbean our second home.  Have done 27 cruises so far most in the C. and  Alaska. Multiple times on the same ships.

What - on account of only one ship sailing from the place you want to sail from? That’s your decision. I like to visit interesting places, the Caribbean is not one.

1 minute ago, shopaholic6 said:

What - on account of only one ship sailing from the place you want to sail from?

Not at all, because we happen to love the whole fleet and don't mind repeating...what is your problem?  You do you, I'm not criticizing you, just saying I wouldn't drop RCCL for such a silly reason, IMO  And don't bother I"m done with this.

Edited by BecciBoo

Just now, BecciBoo said:

Not at all, because we happen to love the whole fleet and don't mind repeating...what is your problem?  You do you, I'm not criticizing you, just saying I wouldn't drop RCCL for such a silly reason, IMO

yep and you do you 🤣 enjoy your hurricanes and pastel coloured buildings 🤣. Again.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, flamingos said:

Just to clarify - 'inaugural sailing' is the 'maiden voyage' with all the bells and whistles, like we saw with Wonder last March?  They used to have 'shake-down' cruises where you were expected to be a beta-test passenger.  

yes. that's what i'm looking for. hopefully i'll be able to get an answer on the date 🙂

1 hour ago, 4Nathan said:

My TA advised yesterday that date of inaugural is Jan. 28.  Guess we will know for certain Monday when bookings open.

That may be the first sailing that is available to be booked but I will bet money that it is not the inaugural.  I fully expect additional sailings to be released prior to that date once they firm up the delivery schedule.  Just a few short weeks ago they were saying she would be ready in October.  They are playing it safe as far as releasing bookings.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

That may be the first sailing that is available to be booked but I will bet money that it is not the inaugural.  I fully expect additional sailings to be released prior to that date once they firm up the delivery schedule.  Just a few short weeks ago they were saying she would be ready in October.  They are playing it safe as far as releasing bookings.

But if they are selling it as the Inaugural.....  

48 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I have no idea why you are quoting me because I can assure you I never ever wrote that sentence!!!  Please see #11

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, flamingos said:

That answers that question. I imagine most people will expect it to be the first passenger cruise.

The problem is that we don't know that the first cruise that they are releasing next week will actually be the first passenger cruise.

I suspect there will be many disappointed people who book that first sailing thinking it's the inaugural.  Kind of like it sailing from the UK.

• Like 1