what's your largest purchase onboard Carnival ship?

havanadaydreaming

Has anyone made a large purchase when sailing CCL?  

my wife has a couple more decades experience cruising and has told me she has seen folks buy really nice jewelry many times.   

i have made two that could be considered large-ish.   I've always enjoyed going to the art auctions and watching folks "win" art.  of course, i know the art is almost always overpriced prints...but one voyage we came across a metal print that was hand signed by the artist that we both liked.   i had just earned a decent quarterly bonus at work and decided what we would be comfortable paying for the item.  it was muuuuuuch lower than the purchase price we were quoted but offer was accepted after a little while.  it still hangs in our living room 

the other was an excursion.  we were taking our three adult children and their guests on a family cruise and decided to get a hillside bungalow overlooking the pool at Amber Cove. i anticipated the kids using the unlimited zipline but none of them rode it.   they were enjoying the pool/bar too much. ha! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, havanadaydreaming said:

the other was an excursion.  we were taking our three adult children and their guests on a family cruise and decided to get a hillside bungalow overlooking the pool at Amber Cove.

Thank you so much for posting this - it reminded to go back and see if any bungalows had come available and I just rented one.  

To answer your question, I'm a minimalist so I don't buy "stuff" but I do buy excursions.  Train rides are my favorite - we have done the Panama Canal one and the scenic White Pass train in Alaska (my favorite).  But I do have a family member who has purchased everything from jewelry/watches/liquor to several pieces of artwork.

Edited by csm5986142
  • Like 1

Years ago, wife and I bought a painting that is large enough to hang over our couch.  We have it on the wall behind it.

They shipped it and it arrived just fine.  Heavy sucker too.

I have seen some some write-ups issues with jewelry bought onboard.  Customer service afterwards was a PITA and pretty non existent.  

Edited by FireEater

Do spa treatments or shore excursions count? 😂

If not, I would have to say just a pile of gifts for family/friend I got on the Legend during an Alaskan cruise a few years back - the gift shop onboard actually carried a lot of the same Alaska things we found in town for around the same price, so it was nice to be able to get the onboard after not having time to circle back to some places in town at the ports.

Non-cheers - I bought a Swarovski bracelet on my first cruise. I can’t remember how much. I’m guessing around $100 which was huge for me back then. 

I tried it on. Put it in my pocket, went to the comedy show and back to my room. Looked for it the next day and I never saw it again. I’m guessing it fell out of my pocket. 

I signed my kid up for Build a bear last cruise. DH took him while I enjoyed my cheers package while reading on a lounger on deck. I don’t even want to know what it cost us but my kid’s reaction was priceless and I enjoyed my afternoon 

(He already had the bunny but needed an outfit for her too). 

C89A69E5-BE22-47E0-A2EC-2DEB8930D5BC.jpeg

• Like 7

We bought a very nice(expensive) effy ring to replace my wife's ring for our anniversary in April.  I would not do it again as even thought it was American sourced, we still got stopped to go through customs and declaration, so it just added to the hassle of getting off the ship.  The ring is nice and high quality I just won't make a large purchase again on the ship.