Trouble in Paradise

bazzaw

Just now, MMDown Under said:

Kiriwina is the largest of Trobriand islands in Milne Bay Province  Most of the people who live in the Trobriand islands live here.

Anyone visited here on a ship?

We stopped there on a PNG cruise in 2016. If it's the place I'm thinking of there was a large cricket ground near the tender wharf. 

Hard to imagine such a tragedy there. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Kiriwina is the largest of Trobriand islands in Milne Bay Province  Most of the people who live in the Trobriand islands live here.

We visited on the Sea Princess in February 2019. Very memorable for the cricket match being played. Very friendly people.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We stopped there on a PNG cruise in 2016. If it's the place I'm thinking of there was a large cricket ground near the tender wharf. 

Hard to imagine such a tragedy there. 

My husband played with the cricket team for a game locals against cruise  and it was fun as they made up their own rules and danced and sang when a hit was made   Very sad news

• Like 2

1 minute ago, windsor26 said:

My husband played with the cricket team for a game locals against cruise  and it was fun as they made up their own rules and danced and sang when a hit was made   Very sad news

That is a good memory to have, especially under current circumstances.

20 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes. We went there on the Sea Princess pre-COVID. It was a lovely island.

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes we were there in 2016 end of Jan, it was lovely, you could pick up large pieces of coral of the shoreline. Walked up into the hills to a village up there, it was very neat and tidy, talked to an old man sitting on a platform, oldest man in the village he told me.

DSC_4713r.thumb.JPG.70d7b82430b92369a0198aaf6a4a88bb.JPG

44 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

Yes we were there in 2016 end of Jan, it was lovely, you could pick up large pieces of coral of the shoreline. Walked up into the hills to a village up there, it was very neat and tidy, talked to an old man sitting on a platform, oldest man in the village he told me.

DSC_4713r.thumb.JPG.70d7b82430b92369a0198aaf6a4a88bb.JPG

That is a better memory than what is currently happening. 

6 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

That is a better memory than what is currently happening. 

Yes the old guy was really friendly and chatty.

The amusing thing as he was telling me how he was the oldest person in the village, he said he was 68, I was about 70 at the time. I certainly hope he is still there, being honoured by his village.

Unfortunately it seems the old and young are the one that are the most vulnerably when violence happens.

DSC_4784-crop.thumb.JPG.e129ca2a995ccc6bfb5422bbae5cd29c.JPG

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

The amusing thing as he was telling me how he was the oldest person in the village, he said he was 68, I was about 70 at the time. I certainly hope he is still there, being honoured by his village.

Unfortunately it seems the old and young are the one that are the most vulnerably when violence happens.

His left arm looks very thin. 

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes - we were on the inaugural P&O visit way back in 2013. It was perhaps THE most memorable cruise we have been on - including a World cruise, cruises in the Baltic and Norway, etc. I did a blog here http://pacificdawntopng.blogspot.com/

16 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

I'll bet you can't sit like hi!! 🙂 

3 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

Just see why! 

wow what special memories you must have.  I have always wanted to visit Madang.  I was the class scribe to the wife of a patrol officer as we studied a book "The wife of a Patrol Officer" ?  Did anyone else study that book (Qld.)?  PNG seemed such an exotic place to a country Queenslander.