What Extras Do You Pack?

JamieLogical

On 10/25/2022 at 9:38 AM, JamieLogical said:

Over the years, I have learned to pack a few extra items to make cruise cabins more comfortable and convenient. When sailing on NCL specifically, these are the extras that I always pack:

Folding cubbies for the closet shelves since Breakaway and Breakaway Plus Class ships don't have drawers. Found them at the Dollar Tree.

O79V8wThhQpC6pHl8tGiJQh6Zv3ks8naqZ0u_x0UhRiIxHIoEJmP-v4iR2zv4QRA4y80JiVbx2ZfbTMaFYS2OIGfBHfYN6lrALUTKAjNkokcDxW9ZXmUDlaJ126yQsL_DKpEGdUkSKE=w2400

Suction cup foot rest for the shower so I can shave my legs, since NCL doesn't have them built in like some other cruise lines. Found on Amazon.
91AQuUzLeKL._SL1500_.jpg

Tiny, collapsible camp stool to use as a foot rest on my balcony, if the room steward can't/won't bring me a lounger. Found on Amazon.

71uB5Yit+SL._AC_UX679_.jpg

Outlet adapter with extra plugs/USB ports to make an EU outlet actually useful. Found on Amazon.

51QuONA0IvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Final Straw (collapsible, reusable straw), since NCL has phased out plastic straws. Found on Final Straw website.

finalstraw-lead.jpg?quality=75&width=1200&auto=webp

As an added bonus, here are a couple of other things I have to make the travel experience a little easier:

Luggage tag holders with steel cables. They come in different sizes/shapes depending on which cruise line you are using. Found on Amazon.

71hUKcsrcbL._AC_UX679_.jpg

Passport cover with pocket that perfectly fits CDC card in the back. Found on Amazon.

81NwCw5u91L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

What extra items have you found to make your cruise/travel better?

I bring a headlight, so I can have light hands free.  Learned this after being on board a ship that lost all power!!!  Magnets to hang itinerary/things to do on the wall;  mini lysol spray to sanitize  with :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kylenyc said:

Then there's this. Refer to my previous comment on the risk posed by flushable wipes vs the much greater risk of children and irresponsible or oblivious adults flushing something clearly not intended to be flushed (non-flushable wipes, condoms, tampons, sanitary napkins, toys, etc.)

https://www.nonwovens-industry.com/issues/2021-09/view_features/flushability-report/

"Nonwoven Industry" "flushable wipes advisory committee" who would have thunk it.

"Analyses of several U.S. and U.K. sewer systems have shown that wipes engineered to be flushed make up a negligible percentage of sewer clogs, as low as 1-2%. Instead blockages tend to be caused by products not intended to be flushed like baby and cleaning wipes, paper towels and feminine hygiene items..."

I'm so glad we can "discuss" this like respectful adults and retain our sense of humor, @kylenyc! Flushable wipes advisory committee, indeed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/25/2022 at 7:59 AM, trivimp said:

I'm a lanyard person.  I realize this is controversial for some reason, but women's clothing rarely has adequate pockets.  I bring a pretty jewelry-style lanyard so I don't feel so workplace-chic.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VW235P9/ 

My wife does the same. Always makes a trip to customer service to get a hole punched in her cruise card. 

30 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

With all due respect, you folks wouldn't need all the places to store things if you brought fewer things.   

This! Haha...everyone should pack what they want. It's their cruise after all!

As for us, we're going to continue going the route of our two school bag type backpacks. We did bring a FAA approved carryon on our last cruise which was nine days, but that seemed to be overkill, so I think for our seven day western Caribbean cruise in March we're just going to take backpacks again. 

Perhaps it's the amount of stuff we take, or that we stay in the Haven, but we have always had more than enough storage. So much that we don't use anywhere near all of it. 

• Like 1

I ALWAYS pack something similar to this although I cannot find the exact ones I ordered. My hook is plastic.

What I love about this being mesh is that the night or two before, I just take it out of the shower and it is dry the next morning, or you can just put in a bag if wet.

I hate putting all my things on the shower floor.

810E5pmIYaL._AC_SL1416_.jpg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

This! Haha...everyone should pack what they want. It's their cruise after all!

Of course they should. 

The finest cruise advice I've ever encountered:

When packing for a cruise, lay out on a bed all the times you're considering taking including the cash.  Then put half the items back in the closet and double the cash.

I can understand the urges to overpack.  It's the "Well, I might need this or I might need that."  You won't.  If you're packing for a seven day cruise and it won't fit in a rolling carryon, you're packing too much.  If you're worried about where to store things on the ship, you're taking too much.

Another bit of good packing advice: when you're unpacking back at home, divide the stuff you took into two piles.  One pile is the stuff you actually used and the other is the stuff you didn't.  If you didn't use it, then don't take it again.

Another bit of advice, you'll never see  your fellow passengers again so why are you worried if they see you in the same outfit twice?  

BTW, three pairs of shoes and one bathing suit is enough.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Z0nker said:

My wife does the same. Always makes a trip to customer service to get a hole punched in her cruise card. 

They won't punch holes in the newer cards, as it disrupts the electronics; she may want to convert to a plastic sleeve setup.  

29 minutes ago, trivimp said:

They won't punch holes in the newer cards, as it disrupts the electronics; she may want to convert to a plastic sleeve setup.  

I have plenty of those from trade shows. Workplace chic indeed!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

Of course they should. 

When packing for a cruise, lay out on a bed all the times you're considering taking including the cash.  Then put half the items back in the closet and double the cash.

I can understand the urges to overpack.  It's the "Well, I might need this or I might need that."  You won't.  If you're packing for a seven day cruise and it won't fit in a rolling carryon, you're packing too much.  If you're worried about where to store things on the ship, you're taking too much.

Another bit of good packing advice: when you're unpacking back at home, divide the stuff you took into two piles.  One pile is the stuff you actually used and the other is the stuff you didn't.  If you didn't use it, then don't take it again.

Another bit of advice, you'll never see  your fellow passengers again so why are you worried if they see you in the same outfit twice?  

But what is the fun in this? Part of the cruise planning fun for me is planning outfits, and the shoes and jewels to go with them. I take way more than I need, but so what? I like having choices, and I like having my creature comforts. I have never had a storage issue, but I cruise solo a lot 🙂

Edited by KateQ22003
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

With all due respect, you folks wouldn't need all the places to store things if you brought fewer things.   

The cubbies I bring aren't really to do with needing more storage so much as needing the right type of storage. I personally find it weird to keep my undies and socks on an open shelf. Since NCL doesn't have drawers, the cubbies are a good solution for me.

As for packing, anything under 10 days and I can fit everything I need in my backpack and carry-on roller bag. Could probably stick with that for longer than 10 days if I can get laundry done onboard. Even when we went to Alaska in September and I needed to pack bulkier cold-weather clothing, I managed with a backpack and carry-on.

4 hours ago, NikiPinkston said:

I'm so glad we can "discuss" this like respectful adults and retain our sense of humor, @kylenyc! Flushable wipes advisory committee, indeed.

I wish I could take credit for it. I found it hilarious nevertheless 😁

image.png.55ace389fed8b37a59cf5d0f83c8e869.png

Edited by kylenyc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

The cubbies I bring aren't really to do with needing more storage so much as needing the right type of storage. I personally find it weird to keep my undies and socks on an open shelf. Since NCL doesn't have drawers, the cubbies are a good solution for me.

As for packing, anything under 10 days and I can fit everything I need in my backpack and carry-on roller bag. Could probably stick with that for longer than 10 days if I can get laundry done onboard. Even when we went to Alaska in September and I needed to pack bulkier cold-weather clothing, I managed with a backpack and carry-on.

Hi Jamie. I agree with you that the cubbies are great for things like socks and other smaller items. Especially on the ships that don't have drawers. I just started bringing one on all my trips. The dollar store ones are nice and light and help keep the room neat. Definitely nice to have on Away ships and Prima. On Prima, the closet was split into three sections. The middle section had hanging space and one shelf plus another shelf you could pull down for more storage. I put my cubby, underwear pouches and first aid/medicine bag etc. on one shelf and my folded clothes on the other shelf. There was hanging space in each section, but we only put our hanging items in the two end sections so that it was easier to access the shelves. Our steward had already put extra hangers in the closet, since each section only had a few. There were also four wire basket type drawers. I used one for swimsuits and one for my folded up rain jacket.  My husband used the other two similarly. 

Another item from the dollar store I bring is a small plastic bin like the type you use to organize a silverware drawer. I use it on the shelf in the bathroom to hold my toothbrush, toothpaste. I put a smaller one on my nightstand to hold my small flashlight and my ear rings that I forget to take off before I get in bed. These bins are also very light and don't take up much space. 

I pack a small roll aboard carry on with my toiletries, a swimsuit and cover up, flip flops, a pair of PJ's and change of clothes just in case my larger suitcase doesn't make it aboard or to my room right away. Until I lose enough weight for smaller clothes, I just can't fit everything I want for a cruise into just carry on luggage!

I am enjoying reading all the tips in this thread, and I may keep an eye out for one of the hanging mesh bags that js mentioned above.

Having the right storage, and items organized, makes getting ready quicker so that you have more time for fun on your cruise! 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2022 at 11:52 AM, NikiPinkston said:

Packing cubes! Since there are no drawers, I just take them out of my suitcase and place them on the shelves & it's a great way to stay organized.

I just fold my clothes and put them on them on the shelves!  Everything is organized.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/26/2022 at 9:18 AM, JamieLogical said:

This reminds me of a sticker I saw on the inside of a toilet lid on the Celebrity Summit. I was definitely amused that they felt the need to warn you not to flush your engagement ring down the toilet:

x5TkzbYyg0DNbu_qyWh3oLOdzwqVwadAHvWGCqIw

I have a friend who is a plumber.  You would be amazed at the things he said he was found in human waste disposal systems that weer clogged up.

12 hours ago, kylenyc said:

Then there's this. Refer to my previous comment on the risk posed by flushable wipes vs the much greater risk of children and irresponsible or oblivious adults flushing something clearly not intended to be flushed (non-flushable wipes, condoms, tampons, sanitary napkins, toys, etc.)

https://www.nonwovens-industry.com/issues/2021-09/view_features/flushability-report/

"Nonwoven Industry" "flushable wipes advisory committee" who would have thunk it.

"Analyses of several U.S. and U.K. sewer systems have shown that wipes engineered to be flushed make up a negligible percentage of sewer clogs, as low as 1-2%. Instead blockages tend to be caused by products not intended to be flushed like baby and cleaning wipes, paper towels and feminine hygiene items..."

"flushable" on any product is speaking directly about municipal sewer systems and NOT vacuum operated cruise ship systems.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Of course they should. 

Only modification is that you only NEED one pair of shoes.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, BigSeaMonster said:

There is a great list here.

Some are a bit silly, but we swear by at least 7 or 8 of these items... my personal "must have" being the power strip!

Cruise_Essentials_Packing_List.webp.5f41f5eb03772d2308c086970aa943fd.webp

I think I bring about 8 of the items on that list. Funny that the swimsuit cover-up pictured in there is the exact same one I have. Also, this reminded me that I don't think anyone has listed Downy Wrinkle Spray yet. I definitely bring that on every cruise!

• Like 4

On 10/26/2022 at 9:45 AM, jlacy1987 said:

I'm also planning on bringing collapsible hangers. My toddler's clothes are fine folded, but a lot of my clothes I want to be hung and my husband will also have items he wants hung and cruise lines just do not provide enough hangers for the closet space. 

I’ve never had a problem getting more hangers from our steward.