Baths - Do cruise excursion or do it ourselves?

Gregg00ss

Will be visiting Tortola on Nov 22nd via Celebrity Apex.  Will be in port from 8 am - 6 pm and looking to visit the Baths, 2 adults and an 11 yr old.  Just curious what yalls take is on getting over there, do it ourselves or book through Celebrity?  I typically book outside the cruise lines so I'm not against the idea at all and reading other threads on here it looks like we are lucky to have a pretty large window of time in port, so shouldn't be rushed either way.

Celebrity would run us about $68pp and could go at 8:30 or 1 pm.  Looks like Speedy has a few deals going on right now and could get round trip ferry and taxi to bath for $38pp or do 2 roundtrips and rental car for $99, would need to buy an additional ferry ticket for little one if we got the rental.  Kind of leaning towards doing it ourselves unless anyone has a good reason not too.  Would it be worth going the rental car route?  We're not huge beach people, so I don't suspect we'll be camped out all day at the baths.  Not sure if there is more to see near the Baths that would lend a rental car to be advantageous?

Definitely go on your own to take advantage of the most time on Virgin Gorda. And I highly recommend the rental option. Since you are not looking for a beach day, seeing more of Virgin Gorda would be an excellent option. You have done well on your research, kudos! 😉

To get the most current feedback on the best itinerary for you I would pose that question on the BVI forum on TripAdvisor. You can post directly to the Virgin Gorda forum, but you may get more views by posting on the BVI forum…your choice.

Taxis are a good option if you are staying in the Valley area (Baths, other beaches, and Spanishtown). But having a rental you can see more of the island than just the Valley area… 

But great choice, enjoy your day!

Edited by blue_water
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/25/2022 at 11:58 AM, Gregg00ss said:

Will be visiting Tortola on Nov 22nd via Celebrity Apex.  Will be in port from 8 am - 6 pm and looking to visit the Baths, 2 adults and an 11 yr old.  Just curious what yalls take is on getting over there, do it ourselves or book through Celebrity?  I typically book outside the cruise lines so I'm not against the idea at all and reading other threads on here it looks like we are lucky to have a pretty large window of time in port, so shouldn't be rushed either way.

Celebrity would run us about $68pp and could go at 8:30 or 1 pm.  Looks like Speedy has a few deals going on right now and could get round trip ferry and taxi to bath for $38pp or do 2 roundtrips and rental car for $99, would need to buy an additional ferry ticket for little one if we got the rental.  Kind of leaning towards doing it ourselves unless anyone has a good reason not too.  Would it be worth going the rental car route?  We're not huge beach people, so I don't suspect we'll be camped out all day at the baths.  Not sure if there is more to see near the Baths that would lend a rental car to be advantageous?

Care to share your experience 😊?

• 2 weeks later...

Gregg posted their report here and rented a car.

I would avoid a cruise line excursion to the Baths, just because everyone in the group (usually multiple groups) is there at once and it is a mess as Jean said…Just not a good experience, and it can be so much better.

if you go on your own you can either rent a car (in advance) with Speedy’s or Mahogany. Or just hook-up with a taxi driver who can coordinate an “itinerary” for you. He/she would just suggest going to beautiful Savannah Bay for a relaxing beach time, then perhaps Spring Bay or Spanishtown until the Baths cleared out, then drop you at the Top of the Baths.
taxi fares are inexpensive in the Valley area of VG, and that’s a great way to enjoy your day minus the crowds.