Carnival Dress code question

kangforpres

Hi-

I'm a 4 star mariner on HAL and going on my first Carnival cruise in April, the 22 day Trans-Pacific from Brisbane to Seattle. HAL's dress code has relaxed quite a bit on "Gala" nights men only need slacks and a colored shirt. No jackets or ties required and it is only enforced in the MDR, and specialty restaurants.

What is the expectation on a Carnival  "Elegant?" night or whatever they call it.

Thanks, 

Paul

It's really relaxed.  Very low expectations and little enforcement of the dress code.  But for what it's worth here are the actual "rules":

An excerpt from the "What To Wear" section Carnival's FAQ (https://www.carnival.com/help):

What to Wear - Evening Attire  
Following is the dress code in the main dining room(s) for both men, women and children:

“Cruise Casual” Dress Code

• Men: sports slacks, khakis, jeans, long dress shorts and collared polo shirts
  • Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, jeans blouses and tops
  • Not permitted: cut-off jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Be sure to bring a red or blue outfit or a top for our Mega Deck Party.

“Cruise Elegant” Dress Code (formal evenings)

• 2-day to 5-day cruise: one “Cruise Elegant” evening
  • 6-day or longer cruise: two “Cruise Elegant” evenings

The first “Cruise Elegant” evening is scheduled for the second or third evening of the cruise and the second “Cruise Elegant” evening is the second or third evening prior to the end of the cruise, itinerary schedule permitting. 

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown
  • Not permitted: jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire 

The Steakhouse: The dress requirements for the Steakhouse follows the dress code specified for the main dining room(s); if the evening is specified as “Cruise Casual,” shorts are not permitted.

Please Note: All guests are expected to ensure their clothing and accessories are respectful to fellow guests. Specifically, items worn during the cruise should not contain any message that may be considered offensive or contain nudity, profanity, sexual innuendo/suggestions. In addition, clothing/accessories should not promote negative ethnic or racial, commentary, or hatred or violence in any form.   

You'll see a mixed bag of everything. I personally wear cargo shorts with a polo and sandals. Many other people are along the same line as I am. You'll see jeans/polo, khakis/polo, suits and 1 or 2 tuxes. Some people enjoy dressing up, others don't. Nothing is enforced so wear what you're comfortable with. Regardless of what you wear, there will be others dressed like you most likely. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, kangforpres said:

Hi-

I'm a 4 star mariner on HAL and going on my first Carnival cruise in April, the 22 day Trans-Pacific from Brisbane to Seattle. HAL's dress code has relaxed quite a bit on "Gala" nights men only need slacks and a colored shirt. No jackets or ties required and it is only enforced in the MDR, and specialty restaurants.

What is the expectation on a Carnival  "Elegant?" night or whatever they call it.

Thanks, 

Paul

Basically, it’s a free for all. You’re going to get so many opinions on this… But in past my husband has worn dress pants and a nice shirt, a suit, khakis etc. I’ve always worn some sort of dress but the night my husband wore a suit i wore a nice cocktail dress. Some people dress really fancy, others not. It’s really up to you how fancy or not you want to go.