Piraeus?

Larainerenee

There are also a naval museum and an art museum (der this was closed when I was there).

The main street with theatre and shops and some market style stands is nice for strolling in a less tourists, greek environment. Some of the churches are also noteworthy.

TBH of course nothing of this has the importance of the sights in Athens. I had spend maybe alltogether 10 days in Athens and seen quite a lot there before I decide to stay for a more relaxed port day in Piraeus. Yet, wirhou this comparison, in itself you can enjoy a perfectly fine and interesting day in Piraeus 

• Thanks 1

I once spent an entire day walking (for miles) around the Pireaus area including going all the way to rather upscale Zea Marina.  My advice is to go to Athens :).  Pireaus is actually quite close to Athens and transportation is relatively easy and inexpensive.  One can take the X80 bus, a taxi, or make their way around the harbor to the train station and take the Green Line (a train/subway) into town.  

I will add that the Zea Marina area (most folks would want to use the local bus as it is a long hike) has its share of restaurants, marinas, and nightclubs.  It is a popular suburb of Athens, but primarily an area to go in the evening for its restaurants and related nightlife.  When I walked over there around lunchtime some of the restaurants were open but pretty empty of customers.  Zea Marina is actually the opposite direction from the main part of Pireaus (i.e. train station) and can be reached by walking along the coast of hiking over the rather steep hill/streets (shortens the walk but it is steep).

Hank

26 minutes ago, wineoclock said:

We went to Sounion. Used Demetris from PK Travel. It was fantastic day out. Demetris was knowledgeable but didn’t come in with us.  

It is about 30 miles from Pireaus to Cape Sounion (we have driven it).  The OP specifically asked for what to do in Pireaus.  Just saying 🙂

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Taxi was 25 euros to Archaeology Museum which closes at 3:30. We arrived at 12:30. Got hussled with a taxi going back. After you see the acropolis, Athens is just frustrating.

Am wondering why you think Athens if frustrating.  Have been there many times (including numerous overnight stays) and always enjoyed city.  There is much to see and do in Athens and the city has many decent restaurants, clubs, etc.  One can also head out to the suburbs to Kifissia (upscale shopping area in a cute suburb), go over the Monastiraki (great flea market on Sundays), browse the stores around Omonia Square, take the funicular up to Mt Lycabettus, and it goes on and on.  

Hank

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, GreenFamily said:

Check out the archeological museum of Pireaus. 

Yes, it's a sleeper gem. They have some bronzes that rival anything in the Athens Archaeological Museum.

The back story on the bronzes:  The Roman general Sulla was dispatched to deal with a horrific uprising against Rome in around 87-88 BC, led by Mithridates of Pontus, in which Athens played a key role. Sulla won the day and punished Athens severely. He also looted many temples of their treasure and works of art from Athens and other Greek allies that participated in the uprising. His goal was to take them back to Rome for his own estates (and to decorate public places in Rome, which was the habit).  Unfortunately the warehouse in Pireaus where he stored some of these artworks caught fire and burned, never to be unearthed again until 1959.

Two of the statues are of Artemis and are thought to have come from Delos (her birthplace in mythology).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piraeus_Artemis

image.png.289719b8d5ced8e48ff3409a707cb2b7.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...