Is Trinidad safe

florence11

Hi

We are on a cruise in March 2023 and 1 of the islands we are stopping at is Trinidad. I have been looking online trying to find out anything good about it or I will spend the day on the ship. Has anyone been there recently and can help me out.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2022 at 5:20 PM, florence11 said:

Hi

We are on a cruise in March 2023 and 1 of the islands we are stopping at is Trinidad. I have been looking online trying to find out anything good about it or I will spend the day on the ship. Has anyone been there recently and can help me out.

Thanks

We have also been looking.  Was hoping to just explore the town near the ship and check out shops and restaurants.  Ariapita Ave is recommended for shops and restaurants.  When you check regarding safety is is rather questionable.  Local reports of gang and drug activity and muggings.  Here is a link to State Department site.  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/trinidad-and-tobago-travel-advisory.html

I am disappointed and still considering what we will do 😥

On 12/4/2022 at 5:55 PM, bigeagle12 said:

We have also been looking.  Was hoping to just explore the town near the ship and check out shops and restaurants.  Ariapita Ave is recommended for shops and restaurants.  When you check regarding safety is is rather questionable.  Local reports of gang and drug activity and muggings.  Here is a link to State Department site.  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/trinidad-and-tobago-travel-advisory.html

I am disappointed and still considering what we will do 😥

This is Russian State Advisory.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/27/2022 at 8:58 PM, kpjohn said:

We also will be there on a cruise in March 2023.  After seeing the warnings, I think we will either go on an excursion thru the ship or stay in close by the port.

For the record, around the port area and on official cruise tours, armed undercover police and plain clothed armed forces will be present.  
Plus the areas to be visited on the ship’s tours will be pre-cleared of certain people, and you will only see what the Government want you to see, this being only the nice looking stuff with positive words from the tour guide directly from the Government’s pre-prepared script.  
Basically, a highly sanitised highly armed tour.  But you will be safe and tours will look quite normal, but under the surface…..

The Government will ensure nothing will happen, as the money from ship tourism will go into their funds. If you know what I mean….

When out a tour, take lots of hand wipes and sanitisers.  Don’t touch anything, do not eat or drink anything local.  Rubber gloves worn is an idea.  Do not buy anything with a credit card (scamming is a notional sport). Take bottled water only from the ship.  Watch where one walks, for things sitting on the ground.

When back to ship, remove footwear wash them throughly and sanitise.   Change all clothing and send to ship’s laundry and throughly wash hands after bagging clothing, then shower.  Then, and only then, consider taking food or drink.

25 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

For the record, around the port area and on official cruise tours, armed undercover police and plain clothed armed forces will be present.  
Plus the areas to be visited on the ship’s tours will be pre-cleared of certain people, and you will only see what the Government want you to see, this being only the nice looking stuff with positive words from the tour guide directly from the Government’s pre-prepared script.  
Basically, a highly sanitised highly armed tour.  But you will be safe and tours will look quite normal, but under the surface…..

The Government will ensure nothing will happen, as the money from ship tourism will go into their funds. If you know what I mean….

When out a tour, take lots of hand wipes and sanitisers.  Don’t touch anything, do not eat or drink anything local.  Rubber gloves worn is an idea.  Do not buy anything with a credit card (scamming is a notional sport). Take bottled water only from the ship.  Watch where one walks, for things sitting on the ground.

When back to ship, remove footwear wash them throughly and sanitise.   Change all clothing and send to ship’s laundry and throughly wash hands after bagging clothing, then shower.  Then, and only then, consider taking food or drink.

Additional

Remove footwear, while wearing plastic gloves, before entering one’s stateroom, as one doesn’t want any contamination to enter.

1 minute ago, aggiemom11 said:

Wow!!!   This sounds kind of scary!!!   What kind of contamination ?   

Human excrement and urine, as public toilets ceased functioning years ago.  Therefore, any bush, wall or corner is used.  Over many years, the “results” have been walked about.

26 minutes ago, florence11 said:

I think I will stay on board.

The area inside the gates of the highly secure port area, with armed police and undercover people was okay and safe to walk round.  There were some outlets.  Only use cash.  On last visit the guards on the gates would not allow anyone through to wander freely.  Very sensible.

• 1 month later...

I live in Trinidad. I do not know where Port Royal gets his info but its false. Bottle water is perfectly safe here. Like most Caribbean countries there is crime and places to go and not to go. Feel free to eat and you do not need to where gloves and change clothing etc. I live here and never did that in and out of my house and all is well. 

I usually tell people take a taxi to Maracas bay beach. Its about a 40 to 45 minute drive that will take you over the Northern range through beautiful natural rain forest. You will then break through to great ocean views as you head down to the bay. While there you could swim and enjoy a world famous shark and bake sandwich. Andrew Zimmerman and Anthony Bordaine called it one of their best sandwiches.  On the way to Maracas ask your driver to take you past the magnificent seven for photo ops. See attached link for more info. 

https://visittrinidad.tt/blog/magnificent-seven-in-port-of-spain-trinidad/#:~:text=The Magnificent Seven includes Ambard's,College and Whitehall (Rosenweg).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2023 at 9:59 AM, goneclear said:

I live in Trinidad. I do not know where Port Royal gets his info but its false. Bottle water is perfectly safe here. Like most Caribbean countries there is crime and places to go and not to go. Feel free to eat and you do not need to where gloves and change clothing etc. I live here and never did that in and out of my house and all is well. 

I usually tell people take a taxi to Maracas bay beach. Its about a 40 to 45 minute drive that will take you over the Northern range through beautiful natural rain forest. You will then break through to great ocean views as you head down to the bay. While there you could swim and enjoy a world famous shark and bake sandwich. Andrew Zimmerman and Anthony Bordaine called it one of their best sandwiches.  On the way to Maracas ask your driver to take you past the magnificent seven for photo ops. See attached link for more info. 

https://visittrinidad.tt/blog/magnificent-seven-in-port-of-spain-trinidad/#:~:text=The Magnificent Seven includes Ambard's,College and Whitehall (Rosenweg).

Do you know about the cost? Would have have an recommended drivers?

• 1 month later...
On 2/17/2023 at 8:59 AM, goneclear said:

Thank you for your balanced post.  Having lived in Angola Africa, I'm very familiar with what is reported vs what is reality when we live in those countries.  I appreciate always wanting to be safe during traveling and using common sense but I hate when places get a bad rap as a blanket statement.  There are many places in Houston Tx I wouldn't go day or night.  

• Like 2

On 2/25/2023 at 10:53 AM, demodawn said:

Do you know about the cost? Would have have an recommended drivers?

I cannot help with taxi cost, as both times I have done the Maracas Beach / Shark and Bake trip, it has been in a shared van,  as a ship excursion. I believe most lines offer a version of this. 

If your ship offers it, it's the easiest way to go over.  Just take a photo of your van's license plate. I recall dozens of very similar white vans lined up in the parking lot to return people to PoS. Fortunately,  one in our group took note of the make of the van and what our driver looked like when we were dropped off.

Narrated (lightly) drive over,  3 or so hours there (enough), and drive back to the ship was in the $40 - $50 range as I recall. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/1/2023 at 2:55 PM, EatonDoolittle said:

If your ship offers it, it's the easiest way to go over.  Just take a photo of your van's license plate. I recall dozens of very similar white vans lined up in the parking lot to return people to PoS. Fortunately,  one in our group took note of the make of the van and what our driver looked like when we were dropped off.

Narrated (lightly) drive over,  3 or so hours there (enough), and drive back to the ship was in the $40 - $50 range as I recall. 

Is that 3 hours each way or 3 hours round trip?

Edited by cruiseguy1016

About a 30-45 minute drive each way, depending on traffic.  PoS is a busy city..

Approx. 2-3 hours free time at the beach. Plenty of time for lunch and some beach time. The water was quite rough on my last visit, I don't recall a lot of people swimming that day. 

So probably +/-  5 hours away from the ship total.