The new Wine Bar nites on O ships

Flatbush Flyer

Last night, we had an opportunity to check out the new Wine Bar evening now held occasionally in the La Reserve space on Marina and (I assume) Riviera.

Hopefully, this will continue -particularly the “relatively” decent pricing - at least for some of the wines by the bottle. Among them (see the pic) was one of our favorite unassuming Sicilian whites: Donnafugata Anthìlia (Catarratto grapes). Back in California, it usually retails for just under $20. On the O Wine Bar menu, it’s $38. Yes, on a cruise ship - a wine markup of only 100%!

In any case, the comp hors d’oeuvres are varied including charcuterie items and other small bites including scallops and lox. And, for those who want to try a flight of wines, there’s a reasonable selection of wines that are somewhat more attractive than what is found on the wine-by-the-glass menu. And the price for your choice of three servings is reasonable for the top group of wines (though the pricier group at the bottom of the menu is IMO quite the contrast.

Note, however, that, since we no longer do the booze package, I can’t comment on how that translates for the Wine Bar (perhaps someone else will chime in). 

Bottom line: Worth a try.

70C43451-48C0-4BAC-A9A3-91B68EFE3802.jpeg

7 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Is this  different that the ones pre covid ?

The wine events we attended pre-Covid were either themed - wines of a certain region or wines of a certain type for which there was a slick presentation and nibbles  and a fixed charge which covered all - or complimentary sponsored by a particular wine promoter.

‘These pay for what you want events will be new to us and mirror what is happening in Baristas pre-dinner with tapas and regional wines.

The question for us is how do these events meld with the Prestige Drink package? Are some of these wines included? Is there a discount/break for those on packages?

20 minutes ago, Robjame said:

The wine events we attended pre-Covid were either themed - wines of a certain region or wines of a certain type for which there was a slick presentation and nibbles  and a fixed charge which covered all - or complimentary sponsored by a particular wine promoter.

That is  different  than the  Wine night in the La Reserve space

You can get the wine of your choice  from the menu provided for  a fee & all sorts of appy type food  cheeses /meats etc

It is held a few times during the cruise  when La Reserve is not being used   anyone can go go no sign up required

usually from 5 to 8Pm  at least on the cruises we were on pre covid

If it is the same  then not new as suggested by the OP

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

You can get the wine of your choice  from the menu provided for  a fee & all sorts of appy type food  cheeses /meats etc

Thanks Lynn. It is making me re-think the choice of beverage package both as OLife and upgrade options. These events, Barista’s wine samplings, wine pairings in MDR and Privée all make the packages less attractive. Things getting expensive for us drinkers and wine enthusiasts.

As a suggestion, I would rather see a dollar value applied to the Prestige package. For example, All drinks $20 and below are free and upcharges apply for more expensive drinks minus the $20. This would be more in line with other cruise lines and would entice me to buying into some of these events. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robjame said:

As a suggestion, I would rather see a dollar value applied to the Prestige package. For example, All drinks $20 and below are free and upcharges apply for more expensive drinks minus the $20. This would be more in line with other cruise lines and would entice me to buying into some of these events. Just my opinion.

Do they have many drinks more than $20?

We are not big drinkers  so it does not matter to me

We will buy a bottle for dinner  with out OBC  that way we will try some wines  we have not had before

I make a note of the ones we like & will buy them at home if available

JMO

6 minutes ago, madera1 said:

We attended the wine tasting before dinner a couple of times during our transatlantic crossing on the Marina. Our next O cruise will be on the smaller Regatta so not sure if it will offer this feature.

Wine tasting event is different than the Wine Bar

They have had the tasting events on the R ships

Wines by the glass are included in the Prestige package, as well as a nice discount on La Reserve and a discount on wines but the bottle. Wines in the “15th and Vine” nights are included (those by the glass) if I recall from last fall on Marina with those on the Prstige package. Wines in Privee would be treated the same, as they are not included in the price of Privee—Suggested wines in the MDR are almost always wines by the glass.  To me, this makes the upgraded wine package more attractive. 

14 hours ago, BarbaraM said:

Wines by the glass are included in the Prestige package, as well as a nice discount on La Reserve and a discount on wines but the bottle. Wines in the “15th and Vine” nights are included (those by the glass) if I recall from last fall on Marina with those on the Prstige package. Wines in Privee would be treated the same, as they are not included in the price of Privee—Suggested wines in the MDR are almost always wines by the glass.  To me, this makes the upgraded wine package more attractive. 

What is 15th and Vine nights? Is that what they call the wine bar evenings in La Reserve?

Are the wines by the glass in MDR that are part of the wine pairing menus included in the beverage packages?
‘If you take the Select Package and then upgrade on board to the Prestige Package for $20 pp per day, you do not get the discount (unless there has been a recent change in policy) for La Reserve or for wines by the bottle. This is not advertised that I have seen and many have been surprised when they see their bill.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Do they have many drinks more than $20?

I meant this as an alternative to the present system which is wines by the glass or drinks are included if they are on the main bar menu. People have ordered an after dinner liquor in Tuscan, sake, beer in Red Ginger,  featured wine or beer in Terrace, wine by the glass in food/wine pairings in MDR only to find charges 0n their final bill. Very confusing. The alternative is to ask with every pour, “Is this included with my beverage package?” Often the servers don’t know.

On 10/27/2022 at 2:10 AM, LHT28 said:

Is this  different that the ones pre covid ?

No these are the same (we have gone both pre and post Covid). Launched at the same time as the Dom dinners, and there is (or may be depending on length of segment?) also a Dom drop-in tasting offered. I know the wine bar evenings were available in April 2019, not sure exactly when they started. 

4 hours ago, Robjame said:

‘If you take the Select Package and then upgrade on board to the Prestige Package for $20 pp per day, you do not get the discount (unless there has been a recent change in policy) for La Reserve or for wines by the bottle. This is not advertised that I have seen and many have been surprised when they see their bill.

It is definitely true and definitely not advertised.

What is 15th and Vine nights? Is that what they call the wine bar evenings in La Reserve?

The Wine Bar (currently at the LaReserve space on Marina) on select nights is simply called “The Wine Bar.” Perhaps the “15th and Vine” names was from an earlier time when they were “testing” the concept (and names).

As for what basic booze package wines-by-the-glass might be found on any menu other than the list found on many dining venue tables (including the Wine Bar menu I posted above), you’ll have to make that comparison once onboard.

2 hours ago, babysteps said:

No these are the same (we have gone both pre and post Covid). Launched at the same time as the Dom dinners, and there is (or may be depending on length of segment?) also a Dom drop-in tasting offered. I know the wine bar evenings were available in April 2019, not sure exactly when they started. 

yes  on our April 2019 cruise  & maybe the 2018 cruise 

Just wanted to clarify if they were NEW as suggested by the OP or  not

I meant this as an alternative to the present system which is wines by the glass or drinks are included if they are on the main bar menu. People have ordered an after dinner liquor in Tuscan, sake, beer in Red Ginger,  featured wine or beer in Terrace, wine by the glass in food/wine pairings in MDR only to find charges 0n their final bill. Very confusing. The alternative is to ask with every pour, “Is this included with my beverage package?” Often the servers don’t know.

Or maybe just exclude all drinks in the Specialties  from the package 

I think  that the wine by the glass for the GDR  wine pairing menu is included   they seem to be the ones  offered on the menu by the glass

Just now, Robjame said:

Oh I didn’t know that - that is good news! 

just compare  the wines that are paired  with what is on the  main bar menu   there may be exceptions  but looking at most of the offerings   they would be the same as offered by the glass 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, babysteps said:

also a Dom drop-in tasting offered. I

I have tried to verify that it is Dom on the drop-in tastings as the champagne/food pairing menu on Vista is Moët & Chandon, not Dom Perignon. 

‘For comparison purposes - Dom is $147 - $400 a bottle

Moet & Chandon is $51 - $75 a bottle