In Defense of the Windjammer

Broons77

24 minutes ago, JamesEM said:

On my last cruise I did a b-2-b as a single, 1st week I ate in the MDR at a 8 top with some nice passengers. albeit BIG eaters.  The 2nd week I ate in Windjammer, surprise, surprise I preferred the Windjammer, more selection and I could get out in under a half hour.

How much did they eat? 

On 10/27/2022 at 9:54 PM, rudeney said:

I have come to realize the the MDR serves "banquet food".  It's not bad, but it's not cooked to order.  You get served from large pre-cooked batches.  Some foods taste just fine like that, others do not.  We have taken some "behind the scenes" tours and the galley operations are truly amazing.  But "amazing" doesn't always equate to "delicious".  The Windjammer food is prepared the same way, but being able to choose your own items makes it different.  On our last 7-night cruise, we had Izumi one night, Giovanni's one night, Windjammer one night, and Chops four nights.   Honestly, we could have eaten at Chops all 7 nights and would have been perfectly fine.  

How busy was Chop when you dined there? is it a full-house during your 4 dinners? I just bought a 3-night dining package on my next cruise (would try at least chops 2x) , and I hope I can book on my preferred time slot.

HolyShip!:  The eating experience reminded me of an episode of Cheers where Norm was at the big eaters table.  I was the only guy at an 8 top and the other seven were women, and they were hungry heifers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When we first started cruising, we ate the WJ and the MDR about evenly and I got the impression on my very first cruise, eating in both places, that the only reason why lots of people cruised at all was to stuff their faces for a week straight. We went through feeding three teenage boys so I thought I knew what big eaters were. But, man, lots of cruisers can be REALLY BIG EATERS!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, oliver9 said:

How busy was Chop when you dined there? is it a full-house during your 4 dinners? I just bought a 3-night dining package on my next cruise (would try at least chops 2x) , and I hope I can book on my preferred time slot.

None of the three specialty restaurants on Voyager were ever full.  Chops was never more than 2/3 full, but I am not sure if that was because it wasn't booked, or if they were short-staffed and had all the guests they could accommodate.   Giovanni's tended to be more crowded - it was usually near capacity with only a few open tables.  I never saw many people in Izumi.  I guess its lack of hibachi made it less popular.  We did changed reservations a few times and never had a problem with that, so hopefully you will get what you want.  Just go to the first specialty restaurant you see when you board and make your reservations. 

• Like 1

I have this long-held feeling that when you're reading about experiences on the internet, things are rarely as good or bad as people make them out to be. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either looking for attention or trying to sell something.

Every destination vacation I have been to has had people claiming the food was terrible, the rooms were horrendously dirty, etc.

And as for cruise buffets? Every time I have read about them being terrible, they were actually pretty good.

I'm not sure if people are expecting cheese and caviar and getting angry when they get burgers and mashed potatoes? Who knows?

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, rudeney said:

None of the three specialty restaurants on Voyager were ever full.  Chops was never more than 2/3 full, but I am not sure if that was because it wasn't booked, or if they were short-staffed and had all the guests they could accommodate.   Giovanni's tended to be more crowded - it was usually near capacity with only a few open tables.  I never saw many people in Izumi.  I guess its lack of hibachi made it less popular.  We did changed reservations a few times and never had a problem with that, so hopefully you will get what you want.  Just go to the first specialty restaurant you see when you board and make your reservations. 

We noticed the same thing on our recent trip on Voyager about the restaurants being only partially full.  It appeared to be a staffing issue to me rather than demand.  When we boarded the ship around 11, we checked in at muster and went immediately to make reservations and Chops was already pretty booked.  According to the crew, they were going to be picking up additional staff once they made it down to PR next week.

• Like 1

I love the Windjammer.  It represents the "all you can eat buffet on cruise ships"! I love the variety of food.  However, unless you get there in the middle of a service, I really hate the stress of trying to find a table.  I avoid it unless I can be there at an earlier time for breakfast or when windjammer opens for lunch. That's my biggest hang up, finding a seat.

1 hour ago, rudeney said:

42 minutes ago, Broons77 said:

We noticed the same thing on our recent trip on Voyager about the restaurants being only partially full.  It appeared to be a staffing issue to me rather than demand.  When we boarded the ship around 11, we checked in at muster and went immediately to make reservations and Chops was already pretty booked.  According to the crew, they were going to be picking up additional staff once they made it down to PR next week.

@rudeneyThank you for the information, it is very helpful for our plan.

@Broons77 were you able to reserve at Chops anyway during embarkation day? I read some posting about the 8pm or later is the only slots available for reservation past 2 pm on embarkation day. We are early-bird diners (Fixed MDR at 5:30pm) and our 1pm check-in time, we hope to get the early time slot.

5 minutes ago, oliver9 said:

@Broons77 were you able to reserve at Chops anyway during embarkation day? I read some posting about the 8pm or later is the only slots available for reservation past 2 pm on embarkation day. We are early-bird diners (Fixed MDR at 5:30pm) and our 1pm check-in time, we hope to get the early time slot.

Unfortunately, we found that there were only 8 PM slots left even though we were there right around noontime.  Again, I believe this to be a matter of staffing as during our dinner and lunch at Chops, it was only about 1/3rd full, maybe about 20-25 people.

Do take into account that this was specific to Voyager.  If you're on another ship, especially one of the newer boats, I'd imagine their staffing levels to be better and you'll probably have an easier go of it.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, oliver9 said:

@rudeneyThank you for the information, it is very helpful for our plan.

We sailed Oasis earlier this month and were able to book Chops for 5:30 for day 1, immediately after boarding.  The restaurant was completely full when we left, with people waiting for tables.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2022 at 10:05 PM, Broons77 said:

Is there anyone else out there like me that's ambivalent about the MDR experience?

I get that at its core, it's really just like going out to any restaurant, sitting at a nicely set table and being served.  I also get that they've usually got pretty decent selections on the menu that more often than not are at least somewhat tasty (ymmv.)   And yes, I know you can get just about anything you want within reason.

But first thing that turns me off is that I usually don't go to the same restaurant every night for a week.  And if I did, it would be smaller and quieter.  And there's a bunch of other things about it that I personally could do without.

As I begin to really figure out what makes for a perfect cruise for me, it's becoming apparent that aside from a nice night out at a specialty restaurant, off times at the WJ really is what I prefer. For dinner especially, I can grab something quick and be out of there, or I can take my time at a table by the window and hang and chat with DW.  True, it's not a beautiful room like most MDRs are, but if you're flexible about when you go, it's usually much more peaceful and leisurely than what I've found in the MDR.  And you can usually get what they're serving in the MDR or just about anything you want.  And the dessert selection is much better as well.  And what's more important than that?

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get DW to see things as I do, so I go under protest.  Which means 2 pre-dinner dirty martinis as opposed to the single if doing the WJ or specialty restaurant.

I agree with a lot of what you say.  For the most part, not much of any difference between food in MDR and Windjammer.  Years ago, there was an obvious difference.  Years ago too, people dressed up for the MDR, now people dress pretty much the same way in both.  We still go to MDR and specialty for the experience of dining.  DW likes the experience. 

• Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 10:32 AM, TexCruise371 said:

WJ and specialty restaurants have become my favorites. Not a fan of the MDR anymore.

Totally agree!  My wife like to go to the MDR on Formal Nights, not for the Formal aspect, but for the Lobster.  Too bad though, Lobster isn't served on our next cruise, day after tomorrow on the Independence OTS, 4 night.  

I like Lobster a lot, but the Lobster we've experienced in the MDR is usually a tiny 1/2 tail, cut long ways, which is fine for my wife.  Yes, I know I can order as many as I want.  But, I like my meal, if I'm not in the WJ, to come all at once and one plate.  I ordered 4 Lobster tails on one cruise and they brought me 4 separate full course plates of food.  I just wanted the tails and drawn butter.  What a waste of  veggies and meat (surf & turf is what they brought).  I can't remember the last time I eat dinner in the MDR.  

This is my experience and desires.  Not intended to detract from those that like, don't mind, accept, love, or whatever the MDR.  Chops, Hooked (if available) Sabar (if available), Johnny Rockets and Hitachi (if available) is my preferred dinning venues.

• Like 2

On 10/28/2022 at 10:14 AM, cwtravel said:

My wife and I have over 45 cruises completed (we are 61) and except when travelling with friends and/or family very rarely eat in the MDR. Why? It generally takes too long. For us the specialty dining or WJ type set up works best. 

Chris

Hubby and I are the same.  We rarely go to the MDR anymore.

On 10/28/2022 at 2:50 AM, BirdTravels said:

What I find totally inappropriate are the loud speaker announcements  in the WJ “if you are done stuffing your face, get out so others can stuff their face”. 

I think that is more of a breakfast & lunch thing.  We eat in the WJ all the time for dinner and I cannot recall ever hearing it at supper.

We love eating in the WJ's on RCI ships.  I like a variety. We always do breakfast and lunch in the WJ.  We eat in the MDR for dinner whenever something is on the menu that I want.  We don't do specialty restaurants.  Food and dining is so subjective.  Everyone has their own tastes so to speak.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For all the Windjammer lovers what are your favorite things to eat there?  I remember being on a cruise out of Galveston a few years ago, don't remember which ship but Chops was right at the entrance to WJ.  We already had reservations at Chops but were early so walked through WJ to see what there was and it was very seafood heavy, boiled crawfish and all kids of things hubby would have loved it we didn't already have reservations at Chops.  We try to remember this and sometimes walk through to see if WJ has something better than the MDR.

Enjoying the various takes on this topic.  Seems the cruise buffet has not lost its rep as a hot button issue.

I'm probably booking a cruise on Celebrity for next year.  Curious to see how the dining experience differs with them including their buffet...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Broons77 said:

Enjoying the various takes on this topic.  Seems the cruise buffet has not lost its rep as a hot button issue.

I'm probably booking a cruise on Celebrity for next year.  Curious to see how the dining experience differs with them including their buffet...

Celebrity definitely does a better job with a nice variety of food in there buffet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/28/2022 at 12:50 AM, BirdTravels said:

What I find totally inappropriate are the loud speaker announcements thin the WJ “if you are done stuffing your face, get out so others can stuff their face”. 

I don't think I've ever heard that in the WJ.  I have heard it a lot in Rustbucket Cruise Lines, Inc.  I freely admit, I could be wrong with that.  But, that is my memory of the WJ.