Taxi from Syndey Airport to Cruise Port - How Much

3 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Yes, but we negotiated (or DH did) a flat rate of $450 for the 3 weeks.  I forgot to mention that they also turn your car engine over for 15 mins once a week for the duration.

Wouldn’t you be better to catch the train and stay in a suburban hotel ,Olympic Park or even Haymarket.

Fuel ,tolls and I wouldn’t be caught driving in Sydney for the life of me.

1 minute ago, Chiliburn said:

Wouldn’t you be better to catch the train and stay in a suburban hotel ,Olympic Park or even Haymarket.

Fuel ,tolls and I wouldn’t be caught driving in Sydney for the life of me.

The Canberra-Sydney train is not always reliable, and can be notoriously slow.  Then there’s the question of luggage, not always easily accommodated on the train.  My husband was born in Italy, and we’ve driven the autostradas and negotiated Italian urban traffic countless times over many years of touring and visiting Italy.  We’ve also driven in Sydney traffic for decades, and it’s mild, in comparison😂

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

The Canberra-Sydney train is not always reliable, and can be notoriously slow.  Then there’s the question of luggage, not always easily accommodated on the train.  My husband was born in Italy, and we’ve driven the autostradas and negotiated Italian urban traffic countless times over many years of touring and visiting Italy.  We’ve also driven in Sydney traffic for decades, and it’s mild, in comparison😂

I think it is just what you are used to.  I couldn't drive in Sydney, even though I had access to a car.  However my girlfriend, almost 80, drives in Sydney and drove me several times. I agree if you can drive in Italy, you can drive anywhere.  We still laugh over some of our Italian driving experiences!

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

I think it is just what you are used to.  I couldn't drive in Sydney, even though I had access to a car.  However my girlfriend, almost 80, drives in Sydney and drove me several times. I agree if you can drive in Italy, you can drive anywhere.  We still laugh over some of our Italian driving experiences!

Oh, I could write a book😂.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, buchhalm said:

Cool. 

I'd note down my mileage before the handover. Not that they use the car as an uber for 3 weeks 

😉

Shouldn't be necessary. 

We haven't used them personally, but via word of mouth they are very reputable.

On 10/29/2022 at 3:17 PM, Aus Traveller said:

The bus is at the cruise terminal, but I am pretty sure you have to pre-book it. The Princess rep in the airport always has a clipboard with a list of names of the passengers who have tickets. Getting a shuttle bus ticket for the end of the cruise is easy - just go to the Shore Excursions desk to arrange it.

On my last Princess cruise with Mum, I saw the Princess reps and went up to ask. No problem at all.  I think they charge it to your cabin.  However, transfer was $24pp and Jim’s shuttle (not that shonky, pre paid mob) was $15pp.  I always use Jim: always reliable.

That was to the OPT.  I have no idea how to get to White Bay.

On 11/4/2022 at 12:37 AM, tonyl1956 said:

Hi,

Not completely relevant to this thread but in a similar vein.

We're cruising on Azamara from Auckland, finishing our cruise in Sydney (White Bay) in early February and have booked (or our TA has) a hotel (Crowne Plaza Darling Harbour). I can see that it's a relatively short distance between the two. I've established that White Bay is not on public transport and I suspect we wouldn't wish to use it with our luggage and a folding wheelchair anyway. The cruise line only has a 'tour with city drop off' option, at a silly price. If we were simply staying one night, a quick city tour might just be worth it, but we'll have four nights before we move on and can do things in a more leisurely fashion.

That leaves taxi, prebooked transfer or shared shuttle. From another thread, I found Redy2Go and they have a shared shuttle van, which I could book. From reading this thread, it would seem that some taxi drivers in Sydney are like they are anywhere - always on the lookout to take you for a ride in more ways than one! Am I right in thinking that a shared shuttle is a reasonably safe way to do it, even if a city taxi with a working meter might be a few $ cheaper?

Tony

Don’t use Redy2Go.  So many horror stories, including mine!  Too often they don’t turn up or have overbooked.  Try Jim’s Shuttle.  He probably goes to White Bay as well.

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, buchhalm said:

Cool. 

I'd note down my mileage before the handover. Not that they use the car as an uber for 3 weeks 

😉

Although tongue in cheek, actually good advice.  (Someone used our hire car for a day after we returned it at end of the Season in Alaska.  Would have helped with our claim for reimbursement.)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, buchhalm said:

😉

16 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Although tongue in cheek, actually good advice.  (Someone used our hire car for a day after we returned it at end of the Season in Alaska.  Would have helped with our claim for reimbursement.)

This reminded me about leaving your car with people.

I had a mate who worked at a smash repair place & he told me that smash repair guys never pay for petrol, they just milk it out of cars that are there for repair, and that the guy who goes for the lunches just takes whichever car is there!!

Maybe it makes sense to take a photo of the dashboard display of fuel level and km when you drop it off, and make sure the guy sees you take the photo 🙂 

13 minutes ago, mr walker said:

I had a mate who worked at a smash repair place & he told me that smash repair guys never pay for petrol, they just milk it out of cars that are there for repair, and that the guy who goes for the lunches just takes whichever car is there!!

Maybe it makes sense to take a photo of the dashboard display of fuel level and km when you drop it off, and make sure the guy sees you take the photo 🙂 

"Trust is good. Control is better"

I always take photos of rental car dash displays and body. IN FRONT OF THE STAFF, when returning a car (And trying to get their staff member on the photo as well). And DOUBLE SO at small rental car shops where they put a "security deposit" on your CC

(I hope that's not old age paranoia starting)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, buchhalm said:

"Trust is good. Control is better"

I always take photos of rental car dash displays and body. IN FRONT OF THE STAFF, when returning a car (And trying to get their staff member on the photo as well). And DOUBLE SO at small rental car shops where they put a "security deposit" on your CC

(I hope that's not old age paranoia starting)

Tongue in cheek on steroids - lol?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

In the days before tilt trays ,tow trucks all run on petrol .

A lot of them had a long hose and a electric pump.They never bought petrol.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

You just never know...

3 hours ago, mr walker said:

We always take photos of all angles of a hire car when we collect it, particularly of any grazes, bumps, dents, etc., and staff are usually willing to pose beside such spots, if we ask nicely.  We once returned a car in France that had a very noticeable graze when we collected it.  We hadn't taken photos at that early stage of our travelling years, and when we returned the car at a different location, they tried to take a fortune from our CC for the damage.  Fortunately, a phone call to the very honest staff member where we collected the car rectified the problem.  He confirmed it was there when we collected it.  We were just very lucky.

• Like 1